Military Water Can sources

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'm contemplating using one of these as an under-vehicle tank. I know that a purpose-built tank would be better, but for the cost, this would be a relatively cheap experiment. The pic above makes me think that laying the tank on its side would not cause a problem. I was thinking that a vent line and the out-put line would be worked into the cap somehow.

The military water cans and the gas cans are very different animals and the water cans cannot be used to store gas. The Scepter gas cans are so expensive now that it could actually be cheaper to buy a purpose-built second gas tank for your vehicle

Oops! I meant as water tank! I should have made that clear, since the photo had the gas tanks, I believe. I have room between the frame rails and would like to out a sprayer our the back hatch for washing dishes, drinking water as well.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
What are you guys using to hold/mount these? I just ordered 3 from LCI (5 gallon) and want to mount them to the front deck on my trailer. I like the Adventure Trailer ones but they are $$$.

VanGo

Explorer
The military water cans and the gas cans are very different animals and the water cans cannot be used to store gas. The Scepter gas cans are so expensive now that it could actually be cheaper to buy a purpose-built second gas tank for your vehicle

While individual fuel cans allow for easier removal of weight when needed- i.e. you're stuck, this is a statement has a lot of validity. Unfortunately, we are seeing a skyrocket in fuel can prices along with replacement/maintenance accessories that does not serve the purchase of individual cans, but complete secondary fuel tank systems. We did 're-hab' used cans at one time, but it became cost prohibitive and marginally a risk, so we passed along our used can source, now that this source has dried up we are left with accessories, once those are depleted it may be time to move onto another option....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
What are you guys using to hold/mount these? I just ordered 3 from LCI (5 gallon) and want to mount them to the front deck on my trailer. I like the Adventure Trailer ones but they are $$$.

you can use a Blitz fuel can holder, from $20 to $30 each
225-canholder.jpg

luk4mud

Explorer
Nice spout system! I did something similar with that third "free" can from LCI ... simple pvc spigot from the hw store. Drill hole big enough near base. Insert spigot. Use small child's hand to install anchor ring inside can. Seal with silicon and you are done! I have the can mounted on a rack on the back so I have water on tap for cooking and washing at all time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior