MINI Cute-Ute: The Countryman

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the Monster team testing for the Dakar race, which begins in 2 weeks.

minicountrymandakar.jpg

MINI is showing a two door version of the Countryman. They're calling it the Paceman. The tapering roofline reminds me of the new Range Rover Evoque.

minipaceman.jpg

Predictions are that the Paceman will be introduced at the Detroit auto show in January. I'm thinking the two door will be the platform used for future rally versions. It hardly matters, since the race vehicle uses a kevlar body and a tube space frame. The race vehicle has two feet of wheel travel and uses a turbo diesel that produces more than 500 ft-lbs of torque.

Jrally

Adventurer
Prodrive, the team that ran the WRC Subaru rally team is going to be campaigning WRC in the Countryman starting mid season of 2011.

-Jon

Bobfab

Observer
That AT tire'd mini above really seems like a new era Baja Beetle. Anyone else get that vibe?

I would be reluctant to do any extended travel or offroading with the car given how complicated all the stuff is, and how expensive and fragile components in the undercarriage could be. But who knows thats just a skidplate away eh?

Jrally

Adventurer
I see it too, and understand the appeal. I'm guessing the fuel economy went to hell though. My Celica, even with the 4.10 gearing pushing 27" A/Ts around gets fairly pour mileage, 20-24mpg, instead of the 30 plus it use to get. But, when you want a car to look a certainly way, something have to be overlooked. :smiley_drive:

-Jon

piercearrowinc

Supporting Sponsor
I love the idea of a countryfied mini! I live on a dirt road but love the mini brand. I always thought they would be off-limits. Thanks for the post!

Accrete

Explorer
i only have a 1.5 mile commute, but i would definately sell my toyota echo and get the countryman All4. Now that my wife has a new daily driver (our AWD van), maybe a year or two and i'll do it. Yuppers on the Pepper White photo. very nice.

Bobfab

Observer
I see a ton of these cars in and around the denver area. I think of this this thread and have "saw it here first" sentiments. Cool little cars!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This was one of the vehicles on our short list when we went car shopping this fall. My wife really wanted the Countryman to be the winner, but it was not to be.

The deal breaker was the lack of space and the inefficiency of the space available. Granted, this is a "mini." I get it. However, it's actually not very small from an exterior point of view. Standing next to it, it's small, not mini.

The rear cargo area is where the mini enters the picture, and because of the very stylized format of the seats, they don't fold down well enough to make additional space useful.

It also didn't drive as well as perhaps it should given it's predecessors. Cool car, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier