Mini earthroamers?

DzlToy

Explorer
Something to consider with dual-cab light-duty trucks such as Rangers and Tacomas/HiLuxes, is wheelbase. If you look at the bottom right corner of the image posted above, you will see a quarter-ton truck with a small camper on the back. Notice that the front of the camper is nearly in alignment with the front of the tire. What does this mean to you? A really small camper box, a large rear overhang or a chassis extension. In most/all of those cases, you probably have the wrong truck for the application. Light duty trucks are just that. They are light, nimble, small, have small engines, light-duty running gear, low payload capacity, small tires and so on.

If you want to camp out of a HiLux or Tacoma, buy a good used truck and go camping. Four people, two dogs and a helicopter do not belong in a crew cab, quarter ton truck with a 5' x 5' or 6' x 6' camper on the back, IMO. Your capabilities are limited by the truck/camper package, e.g. power, large overhangs, gearing, overall height, etc. In a fixed top camper, height isn't much different between a van, a small COE, a Tacoma and an F-250. As soon as you add a large camper to the back of your HiLux, you have lost the, "I can fit in places most others can't" advantage.

In the US, small pickups simply do not have the frame, axles or overall capacity to handle a camper, four people, water tanks, extra fuel, food, tools and supplies and remain safely under GVW. Jonathan Hansen wrote about this years ago after putting a 4WC on a 2016 Tacoma. With the camper loaded with gear for him and his wife, both of whom are slight in build, the vehicle was near max GVWR.

Caveat Emptor!

shirk

Compare the GVWR for a Ranger/Hilux/D-Max/Colorado/Canyon in international markets vs North America and you'll see that it's possible to build these small campers internationally and not in North America. The GVWR on the North American versions is much lower. Also outside North America you'll find these travelers willing to build simpler smaller on all aspects of their camper. 35l vs 100l fridge (no freezer), no AC, no inside shower, smaller house battery...you get the idea. Less stuff and smaller everything saves weight.

Steve_382

Looks nice, but getting it to the US and service, etc.? Also if my currency calculations are correct it's over $300,000 US.

tkj23qe1387

Looks nice, but getting it to the US and service, etc.? Also if my currency calculations are correct it's over $300,000 US.

The chassis alone would probably be about 120k-150k USD. China’s import duty for this type of vehicle is hefty. Apparently they are also keeping it below 6m so that regular license holders can drive it legally.

SootyCamper

Perhaps just buying the camper and subframe, and have it mounted stateside would make more sense. Looks like there could be a very fine camper there for what $150k?

I'm interested in the wheel tire choice. Looks to me they're using BFG and just meeting the weight limits of the tires. The rims??? Who knows I haven't seen a super single that looks like that, at least not on American soil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior