Mirror mod

Plumb Bob

My second attempt at moving the mirrors to a below the eye level position. I like being able to see over the mirrors at intersections, and when pulling into traffic.
My first mount did not allow enough up- down tilt.
3/4 copper fittings fit over the factory steel tube with a little stretch. I cut the old arms with a tubing cutter, the former arms and brackets could be re-used with some sleeves. A couple socket head bolts tapped into the steel tube and some Loctite. Some satin finish black spray paint next, so they don't get ripped off for copper scrap :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 2.52.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 2.52.13 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 74

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's a bit hard to tell from your images, so I will ask... What did you use to solder/weld the fittings together?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Regular plumbing solder
That's what it looked like in the photos, but I just thought I would confirm it before making any comments.
The problem with normal plumbing solder is that it is designed for fixed pipework, so I am doubtful that it would handle vibrations all that well. Copper will also work harden, but I don't think that would be a major issue in this setup.
Maybe your dirt roads are not as rough as ours (corrugations for hundreds of kilometers), but if I were building something similar I would use silver brazing to do the joins, as that would be much more robust.
Just my 2c worth...

cameronsturgess

I did a mod to our mirro that was cheap and effective. The upper glass rattled in both mirrors. I ran a bead of silicone around them. No more rattles Sounds so much better when I close the doors now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz