MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Mike,

Could you please put up a side shot of the rear of your LC, the swing out tailgate, and the extended tongue of the trailer? I'd like to perhaps add a swingout tailgate and get the spare out from under the 4Runner. I'd like to see how much space I'd need. I'm worried about the spare tire striking something on the trailer when going through a steep cut or drainage.

Dale

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mike,

Could you please put up a side shot of the rear of your LC, the swing out tailgate, and the extended tongue of the trailer? I'd like to perhaps add a swingout tailgate and get the spare out from under the 4Runner. I'd like to see how much space I'd need. I'm worried about the spare tire striking something on the trailer when going through a steep cut or drainage.

Dale

I can do that but it will take a couple of months. The truck and trailer are not hitched up and wont be until my next trip. I have an 18" extension. Just figure out what bumper you want and get the measurement of the swing arms extended.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
There are not many companies that make a rear bumper tire carrier. This is an example. The fact is you will have to extend the tongue to fit the truck rather than find a bumper to fit the tongue length.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
that is a great looking rear bumper! But I can't imagine what the shipping costs would be today. I will check with CBI out of Boise and see how long their wait time is. several months ago it was 3+ months for a more common front bumper for my T4R,

backtoback

that is a great looking rear bumper! But I can't imagine what the shipping costs would be today. I will check with CBI out of Boise and see how long their wait time is. several months ago it was 3+ months for a more common front bumper for my T4R,
Just FYI, CBI is out of Idaho Falls, not Boise. We had them put on our previously ordered Tacoma sliders when driving through from Boise to Bozeman. The guys were great, got it done quickly for us.

lcdemack

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I had Mark shorten the passenger side cabinets for me during my build. I did this so that we could fit our PETT portapotty between the end of the bed and the cabinet. Someone asked what the size difference was. Here are a couple of pics to show what was done. Because this was the first ever trailer I had a bit more leeway getting it built. Mark now has numerous trailers on order so don't know if he can specially build like this now. Won't hurt to ask. One last thing; this was the most Mark could shorten them by because of the curvature of the back of the trailer. I'll get back to that in another thread.

Here is a pic of the right (passenger's) side of my trailer. There is 16" between the cabinet and the bed. This is the minimum length that Mark could make the cabinets and still fit them against the angled back of the trailer.

View attachment 595127

Here is my driver side measurement. It is only 11" and is the typical width on all of the newer trailers, I believe.

View attachment 595129
Hi Dale
Thank you so much for these two pics with the tape measure. Of all the good, helpful pics I have seen posted on the Summit, THESE photos! are my Eureka find!
Thank you!
You may have heard this before, but this is the BIG reason I have moved the Summit to the top of our 4x4 trailer list, or we'd instead be buying a more minimalist, lighter teardrop.
Seem odd to hear?
After years of enjoying tent camping plenty fine, the only real deal breaker these days and the thing we wish for in our 50's (ok, so one of us is actually in my 60's), now that I/we cannot make it thru a nite without having to pee, is floor space enough for some sort of sorta porta potti (not a bottle) inside our dry, warm, non-wind flapping, insulated enclosure. I/we are done with the evil mind game we end up loosing, having to get out of our cocoon to venture out into the gawd awful cold at 2am. Standing around in the dark with a flashlight waiting for Yogi to come up behind you while you're peeing (or gawd forbid) outside on a 35 degree night, which is only rewarding in any way at all when it's amazing clear and the stars are out.
Of course, as many have come to realize here in the States (unlike Australia), that sorta minimal floor space in a seriously capable out back, high clearance 4x4 trailer with a hard, well insulated interior leaves you with few picks.
For us, this seemingly crazy check box item is HUGE, and I'm left wondering if like usual, we're far from being the only ones with this prerequisite?
If I were Mark, this is the one thing I'd adjust on the design - just enough floor/storage space for a sorta potti unit.
The closest other I've seen online is the TetonX, but I see none listed for sale.
Better yet tho, the Summit looks to be smaller and lighter.

by the way - We have a truck so the rest of the time that's where we'd store the sorta potti.

Guessing now it's near impossible to get Mark/Mission Overland to custom mod the storage bin on one side and I'm likely fine with that anyway, I'm only hoping the space in front of the closed door is sufficient for a minor sized sorta potti of some cassette sort? Looks like the std size runs approx 15+"x16+". Obviously not going to fit the existing spaces at the end of the bed boxes.
Hopefully the entry floor space in front of the door may be wide and long enough for the unit to sit at nite in front of the door, which is fine. If we need, I hope we can slide it under the bed otherwise.
If you have a chance to measure that, I'd be eternally grateful.
I'm out in San Diego, and I guess I'm going to hafta venture to Vegas if I want to see one. I'm thinking it'll better end up a single trip there or to CO to confirm the trailer is all it looks in photos and buy then.

But again, thanx for the two photos. They are very helpful.
--Lawrence

lcdemack

Newbee in San Diego looking to buy a Summit but after some research, it looks as tho XGrid trailer sales in Vegas is the closest I can get to seeing one. ?
Otherwise it looks like a trip to Colorado is the next closest. Eek!
I can't buy one without seeing one first tho. Not at these prices.

That's fine if necessary. Towing the trailer home would be a great excuse to stop at the good places along the way, but I'd rather not hafta see and buy all on my first time seeing one in person. (stupid I know, it's not as if many a new car purchase wasn't exactly the same difference).
This is a much more low production, hand built kinda purchase and unfortunately I'm just a tad bit OCD that way.
Ordering a custom wrap instead means two drives (or a flight) to Vegas if I even buy from Xgrid (no I have not talked to them yet).
Or I have it delivered to me and hope it's perfect when it arrives, which is not my first pick situation.
Anyone here bought a Summit from XGrid in Vegas?

Any owners here of a Summit live in San Diego or LA, or in-between?
Willing to show me your rig?
I'll drive to you of course and would be happy to make it up with a meal at your favorite local taco shop to talk over your experience. ?(y)
Any excuse to try a new favorite taco joint. ...or?

Thanx,
--Lawrence

^^^ If viewing one in person is too much of a challenge, you can contact Mark on the Mission facebook page and I believe he will give you a real-time virtual tour through facetime or zoom.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
^^^ If viewing one in person is too much of a challenge, you can contact Mark on the Mission facebook page and I believe he will give you a real-time virtual tour through facetime or zoom.
Yes, give Mark a call. I’m sure he would be willing to help. Try calling the dealer in Vegas. They may be able to give you the name of someone near you that has purchased a MO Summit from them.

potatotoo

We bought ours from Loren at XGrid. It was a very pleasant experience and I'd definitely recommend them. Unfortunately, we aren't anywhere near San Diego, but I believe the Summit we looked at at XGrid towards the end of last year was sold to someone in the San Diego area. Maybe Loren could hook you up.

Guessing now it's near impossible to get Mark/Mission Overland to custom mod the storage bin on one side and I'm likely fine with that anyway, I'm only hoping the space in front of the closed door is sufficient for a minor sized sorta potti of some cassette sort? Looks like the std size runs approx 15+"x16+". Obviously not going to fit the existing spaces at the end of the bed boxes.

Someone on the facebook owners group recently took delivery of a Summit which they ordered without the passenger side storage cabinet, which leaves plenty of room for a pretty luxurious toilet setup (they have a Thetford Porta Potti 565E inside) at the cost of losing some storage. So that might be a possibility.

We went with the outside convenience option...

DSC_3590c.JPG

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Newbee in San Diego looking to buy a Summit but after some research, it looks as tho XGrid trailer sales in Vegas is the closest I can get to seeing one. ?
Otherwise it looks like a trip to Colorado is the next closest. Eek!
I can't buy one without seeing one first tho. Not at these prices.

That's fine if necessary. Towing the trailer home would be a great excuse to stop at the good places along the way, but I'd rather not hafta see and buy all on my first time seeing one in person. (stupid I know, it's not as if many a new car purchase wasn't exactly the same difference).
This is a much more low production, hand built kinda purchase and unfortunately I'm just a tad bit OCD that way.
Ordering a custom wrap instead means two drives (or a flight) to Vegas if I even buy from Xgrid (no I have not talked to them yet).
Or I have it delivered to me and hope it's perfect when it arrives, which is not my first pick situation.

Willing to show me your rig?
I'll drive to you of course and would be happy to make it up with a meal at your favorite local taco shop to talk over your experience. ?(y)
Any excuse to try a new favorite taco joint. ...or?

Thanx,
--Lawrence

I understand Xgrid is the one of the better dealers to buy from. Thye have a great attention to detail in presale trailer prep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles