Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Comfort

ControlFreak

Hello All,

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot but my van build isn't that of a typical camper. I'm assembling a truck with a van body for service work that is capable of handling rough terrain.

So almost exactly one year ago I jumped off my wallet and bought a brand new 2018 FG4X4 CC. I had a custom van body built for it with aluminum rear frame, subframe, walls and roof to keep it as light as possible. I put on a whiting roll up door on the back.

I still don't have the back outfitted properly because I'm too busy chasing my tail...so it's on the to-do list. So far I've been using it for about 25000km.

But here lies the problem....my back....after a couple hours of driving it my back is aching. The seats have a half inch of foam, I can't drive over a pothole without hitting the bump stop and sending my coffee 2 feet in the air. I damn near get motion sickness driving the freaking thing.

Do I get a better seat with air ride? Do I get parabolic springs? Do I get bigger tires and lower the pressure? Do I carry more weight? (Currently just over 9000lbs).

Please help for the sake of my lower back, kidneys, and occasionally my daughter's neck.

Cheers,

Kevin

I'm going to try to attach a pic of my truck as well.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I had a 2012 FG for several years.

I went through stock seats, National air ride models, and Stratos suspension seats. The Stratos made life bearable, the Nationals sat too high. The parabolic springs work well off road, but even with the additional lift you'll still have hard impacts to deal with. Just the nature of the beast with forward control cabs that position the operators directly over the axle. Combine that with a chassis that's not optimized for long travel soft suspensions and you have a back breaker. At the time I sold the truck I was considering going with pneumatic bump stops, four link, coils and more than a bit of additional ride height.

Also, realize that commercial trucks are designed to be run at their design limits, as far as the suspension is concerned. Getting more weight will help those components move around more, but you'll still have a brutal front ride. My FG was normally running 13,900# when kitted up.

Likewise, bigger tires help, as does lowering the pressure...and then you get to deal with lowered weight capacities just when you need them the most.

The best option in the U.S. I've seen regarding highly compliant suspensions for the FE/FG's was a one off done by Rebel OffRoad, that sucker was very nice. But then again, easily a hundred K also. Quite possibly more.

There is one nice truck that's riding on coil springs, in Australia. Again, tons of work and probably quite a few chunks from a bank account to have it done.

If I were doing it over again I'd ignore the parabolic spring setup, I'd get the truck fully loaded and take it to a U.S. based spring shop that's familiar with chase truck and race truck suspensions - like Deaver or National Spring. I'd have them design leaf packs with additional lift, and compliance. Ideally longer leaves too, but then you're getting into modifying frame mounts, etc. Not hard to do, but again...time and money. I'd get a 17" or 18", maybe a 20" wheel design and run at least 37" tires. I'd also get a suspension seat design - note that the National air ride seats do work ok, but ideally you'll need to do some cab mods to get them to work correctly.

Good luck with it, sounds like a fun project.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have the National Seating air ride seats in mine and it works pretty well for me.

I did the super-single conversion (ATW wheels), and run a custom spring pack from Deaver. I haven't looked at hydraulic bump stops.

sumnrfam

I have the National Seating air ride seats in mine and it works pretty well for me.

I did the super-single conversion (ATW wheels), and run a custom spring pack from Deaver. I haven't looked at hydraulic bump stops.
@pugslyyy ,, can you send some info on the Deaver packs. (front & rear?) complete packs or adders?

Thanks

dlh62c

Explorer
You can start by reducing tire pressures. There’s no need to run at maximum pressures if you’re not running at maximum load.

Weight the vehicle at a scale and adjust the tire air pressure based on the tire manufacturers pressure/load chart.

Alpina FG

I use ATW parbolics and single wheels. The seats are 2017 BMW 3 series sport seats on a custom mount. The seats have electric adjustment. The comfort and ride are quite good. Making the brackets was quite easy as well using stock material; no welding required. The seats were $800 for 2 off of Ebay and are like new from a crashed car.

ControlFreak

I had a 2012 FG for several years.

I went through stock seats, National air ride models, and Stratos suspension seats. The Stratos made life bearable, the Nationals sat too high. The parabolic springs work well off road, but even with the additional lift you'll still have hard impacts to deal with. Just the nature of the beast with forward control cabs that position the operators directly over the axle. Combine that with a chassis that's not optimized for long travel soft suspensions and you have a back breaker. At the time I sold the truck I was considering going with pneumatic bump stops, four link, coils and more than a bit of additional ride height.

Also, realize that commercial trucks are designed to be run at their design limits, as far as the suspension is concerned. Getting more weight will help those components move around more, but you'll still have a brutal front ride. My FG was normally running 13,900# when kitted up.

Likewise, bigger tires help, as does lowering the pressure...and then you get to deal with lowered weight capacities just when you need them the most.

The best option in the U.S. I've seen regarding highly compliant suspensions for the FE/FG's was a one off done by Rebel OffRoad, that sucker was very nice. But then again, easily a hundred K also. Quite possibly more.

There is one nice truck that's riding on coil springs, in Australia. Again, tons of work and probably quite a few chunks from a bank account to have it done.

If I were doing it over again I'd ignore the parabolic spring setup, I'd get the truck fully loaded and take it to a U.S. based spring shop that's familiar with chase truck and race truck suspensions - like Deaver or National Spring. I'd have them design leaf packs with additional lift, and compliance. Ideally longer leaves too, but then you're getting into modifying frame mounts, etc. Not hard to do, but again...time and money. I'd get a 17" or 18", maybe a 20" wheel design and run at least 37" tires. I'd also get a suspension seat design - note that the National air ride seats do work ok, but ideally you'll need to do some cab mods to get them to work correctly.

Good luck with it, sounds like a fun project.

Wow thanks!

I'll check out those seats, where did you get them?

Parabolic leaf springs are a little over my budget...but got any more info on the hydraulic bump stop? I really don't need more ground clearance, but not loosing my teeth on an unexpected bump would be great.

ControlFreak

Pardon my ignorance but what is ATW and Deaver?

I'm in Ontario and finding after market parts for these things is as hard as finding a decent Taco stand.

ControlFreak

I use ATW parbolics and single wheels. The seats are 2017 BMW 3 series sport seats on a custom mount. The seats have electric adjustment. The comfort and ride are quite good. Making the brackets was quite easy as well using stock material; no welding required. The seats were $800 for 2 off of Ebay and are like new from a crashed car.

If you have a pic of the seat setup I'd absolutely love to see it!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
ATW = All Terrain Warriors, an Aussie company. Sportsmobile is their agent in the US.
Deaver = Deaver Spring, custom spring builder in California.

ControlFreak

ATW = All Terrain Warriors, an Aussie company. Sportsmobile is their agent in the US.
Deaver = Deaver Spring, custom spring builder in California.

Appreciate it!

Anyone ever try adding airbags to the leads, or helper air bags to add a little more cushion?

lvivier

If you haven't already, you should call Tony at Fuso Offroad (fusooffroad.com). He's in Canmore, bit of a drive from Ontario, but he has plenty of customers on your side of the country. He has experience setting these trucks up for work as well as play and he'd be able to give you some good advice. I have his 17" single wheels and I'll be buying some parabolics from him shortly…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94