Mitsubishi Fuso replacement seats

safariman

Observer
so after doing my first trip in the fuso and realize the seats a horrendous . Has anyone changed out for something else. Friend of mine has some Mark 2 golfs seats in his VW . they look great and have the low profile which is probably needed . Unfortunately they are super hard to find.

Im just planning on 2 seats and getting rid of the middle. going to put a center console in . Unless you can get a really cool 3 seat set up .

Any recommendations on something else ?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
so after doing my first trip in the fuso and realize the seats a horrendous . Has anyone changed out for something else. Friend of mine has some Mark 2 golfs seats in his VW . they look great and have the low profile which is probably needed . Unfortunately they are super hard to find.

Im just planning on 2 seats and getting rid of the middle. going to put a center console in . Unless you can get a really cool 3 seat set up .

Any recommendations on something else ?

We have the air suspension National seats with a custom center console. There are lots of seating options, but the cabover configuration limits the pedestal size so the more common MDT/HDT options aren't good for us.

safariman

Observer
pugslyyy
you must be quite hi up with those air suspension seats ? which model you get.

also took a quick look at you wesite for you truch. some cool trips. i also go out to saline valley most years for thanksgiving. really amazing place. also Black rock desert most years except with 60 thosand dusty hippies ! Thats some hole you got your rig in ! It looked pretty dry i'm surprised it sunk

safariman

Observer
those Knoedler extreme lowriders look super comfortable. out of my price range though. maybe if i end up doing a round the world trip !!

Got a quick of topic question. What do you guys find works well to break wheel nut free on the road. I have a dually set up . found the correct socket that does both size nuts on the dually .

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/4381/gp4223c-drive-1316-impact-socket-gp4223c wondering what you use for a breaker bar.

Im thinking a good quality 40" breaker bar and correct extension to work on the rear. That do the trick or am i missing something ?

pugslyyy

Got a quick of topic question. What do you guys find works well to break wheel nut free on the road. I have a dually set up . found the correct socket that does both size nuts on the dually .

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/4381/gp4223c-drive-1316-impact-socket-gp4223c wondering what you use for a breaker bar.

Im thinking a good quality 40" breaker bar and correct extension to work on the rear. That do the trick or am i missing something ?

Even with a big breaker bar you are going to need a cheater bar sometimes. For breaking the dualies loose I've found it helpful to use a jack stand to support the working end because you have to use such a long extension to reach into the dually rim. On the road use leveling blocks or whatever you have on hand.

I use a snap on 3/4" drive ratchet with a 36 inch handle + cheater bar (as needed)

pugslyyy

pugslyyy
you must be quite hi up with those air suspension seats ? which model you get.

also took a quick look at you wesite for you truch. some cool trips. i also go out to saline valley most years for thanksgiving. really amazing place. also Black rock desert most years except with 60 thosand dusty hippies ! Thats some hole you got your rig in ! It looked pretty dry i'm surprised it sunk

The trick is to get the right bases. The NS-232313 (Ford 1999+) works for us.

The lake bed is never truly "dry" - just has a dry crust on top. Just like going over ice that is too thin, you can break through.

westyss

Explorer
those Knoedler extreme lowriders look super comfortable. out of my price range though. maybe if i end up doing a round the world trip !!

I suggest a 1" diameter 48" breaker bar with a 48" length of pipe and my experience is that you will need it! Whatever set up you use be it breaker bar or torque multiplier do a test run with it and make sure you can get every single nut off prior to wandering into the wild.

This is how much a 3/4" breaker bar bends
DSCF3956.JPG

pugslyyy

I suggest a 1" diameter 48" breaker bar with a 48" length of pipe and my experience is that you will need it! Whatever set up you use be it breaker bar or torque multiplier do a test run with it and make sure you can get every single nut off prior to wandering into the wild.

This is how much a 3/4" breaker bar bends
DSCF3956.JPG

I used another technique recently, but only really good for when at home base - I have a pneumatic actuated hydraulic jack, so I put that under the ratchet and use the jack pushing against the weight of the vehicle. Worked pretty well and I liked the amount of control using the jack gave me. I also liked that I could run it off of shop air. :)

dlh62c

Explorer
Search YouTube for Cheater Wrench.

My mind is going, there's a model that has a Budd Socket, but for the life of me I can't remember which one.

With a breaker bar, you'll have to grin and grit your teeth like your giving birth to something.

This thread is getting off topic.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
What do you guys find works well to break wheel nut free on the road.

Making sure that some tyre shop gorilla has not done the nuts up stupid tight with a rattle gun is the first thing.
I also use some grease on the threads, which aids in corrosion prevention. Just be sure that if you go down this route that you torque the nuts to the lower, not upper limit.
Personally, I have little to no faith in tyre shops when it comes to doing the wheel nuts up correctly. That is why I forked out the bucks and bought my own torque wrench. At least that way I know exactly how tight my wheel nuts have been done up.

pugslyyy

That cheater wrench looks like the job alright.

I had a nice section of pipe that I use as a cheater. I had a bunch of other stuff off to the powder coaters so added it in - it looks like a professional tool now! :)

pugslyyy

I made a video showing my technique. Haven't died doing it yet.

dlh62c

Explorer
Hey, Hey, Hey, are your nuts stuck? No problem.

CheaterWrench says their tool comes with a Budd Socket for the inner rear dual wheel.

You do know these trucks have left and right handed threads on the lug nuts?

The driver side is left hand threads, (right-to-loosen) and the passenger side is right hand threads, (left-to-loosen). The lug nuts and wheel studs are stamped 'R' and 'L' so you can identify them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles