Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Transfer Case Shift Lever Replacement

jlocster

Explorer
I'd never had any problems shifting into 4WD with my transfer case shift lever but after reading this post --->HERE<--- I thought I'd preventatively change the original Gen 2.5 "red ball" shift lever with a junkyard Gen 2 "white ball" shift lever.

It's a good thing I decided to. Upon removing the shift lever and looking into the top of the transfer case, I found nothing but plastic chunks.
WP_20141011_002%5B1%5D.jpg

Here's what's left of the disintegrated "red ball" plastic bushing on the original Gen 2.5 shift lever.
WP_20141011_006%5B1%5D.jpg

Here is the intact "white ball" bushing on the Gen 2 lever that replaced it.
WP_20141011_009%5B1%5D.jpg

Being that my truck is a year 2000, the newest of the Gen 2.5s, and my shift lever bushing was gone, if you have a '98 or '99, you might want to check yours, because it's probably gone, too.

Last edited:

mires

Adventurer
Same thing happened on my Sport. Except mine decided to shatter when I randomly engaged 4wd while moving on a gravel road. I pulled it, cleaned out the shards and never replaced it since you have to buy the whole assembly from the dealer. They don't sell the bushing by itself. What did you pay for the assembly from the salvage yard?

jlocster

Explorer
I don't remember but it wasn't too much, maybe $10 or $15.

What year is your Sport? And from what you remember and looking at the above pics, do you think the Sport/Full Size shift levers are interchangeable?

Last edited:

mires

Adventurer
I don't remember but it wasn't too much, maybe $10 or $15.

What year is your Sport? And from what you remember and looking at the above pics, do you think the Sport/Full Size shift levers are interchangeable?

Mine is a 2001 with the 3.5. Just from memory, it does look exactly the same. I can't say for sure without it apart in front of me though.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a bit better image of the white ball bushing that is the holy grail of shift enablers:
ball-joint.jpg

mapper

Explorer
This is on my list of things to grab from a 95 SR tomorrow.

Unit from an LS would also work, correct?
Are you hitting local yards? If you happen to see this before you go take a look-see for any transmission crossmembers with good bushings. I might have some time to get out to a yard this weekend. That has been on my to-do list but I haven't gotten round to it.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Unit from an LS would also work, correct?
Are you hitting local yards? If you happen to see this before you go take a look-see for any transmission crossmembers with good bushings. I might have some time to get out to a yard this weekend. That has been on my to-do list but I haven't gotten round to it. If you are feeling energetic and want to pull a good one...I'll gladly pay you. If this is of interest to you please feel free to PM me for a phone number.

I will look, last time I was there someone had already grabbed the skid plate but can't recall if they grabbed the crossmember as well.

mapper

Explorer
I will look, last time I was there someone had already grabbed the skid plate but can't recall if they grabbed the crossmember as well.

Thanks. I just poked around online a bit and it appears the mount is a separate piece that bolts to the crossmember and relatively inexpensive. Probably something I should put on new, but who knows maybe the scrap yard one is good. Sorry for the brief thread jack

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I just poked around online a bit and it appears the mount is a separate piece that bolts to the crossmember and relatively inexpensive. Probably something I should put on new, but who knows maybe the scrap yard one is good. Sorry for the brief thread jack

I checked and it was torn, scored me a perfect shifter though!

Jay Ayala

Explorer
We don't really see many posts on ExPo or 4x4wire on transfer cases. They must be pretty durable.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We don't really see many posts on ExPo or 4x4wire on transfer cases. They must be pretty durable.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Likely due to not being an issue until the 97 or 98 model year, and most guys may not even realize their shifter is having issues because they get used to it.

mapper

Explorer
I checked and it was torn, scored me a perfect shifter though!
Thanks for checking. Like I said, realized I'm probably better served by a new piece. I visited the Pick and Pull on 5th W and 33rd S this weekend. They only had one Gen 1 Montero and zero Gen 2s. Was hoping to score one of the T-case shifters. That place is really starting to disappoint me as a parts source. Do you have any yards around here you've been particularly happy with? I always say that you know you've got a car people like, or one that uses expensive parts, when you can't find them in Junk Yard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles