Mitsubishi Pajero

Denizen

Hey guys. I'm considering buying a JDM as my daily driver. I'm really digging the diesel Pajeros (and Delicas). Considering I live in VT, I'm a bit concerned about parts and finding a decent diesel mechanic without spending a small fortune on maintenance. Wondering if any of you on here have had problems sourcing parts for early JDM?
Thanks
Candice

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Parts are plentiful but typically order only, service parts are mostly in stock but you'll have a real hard time finding a decent mechanic to work on it. Your best bet is to learn how to maintain it yourself, they are seriously simple and easy to work on however most automotive mechanics just don't get diesels. If you have a Fuso or Caterpillar shop or a shop that specializes in diesel they could handle it.

Toasty

Also if you happen to have a JDM dealer selling you the car i would like to think they could handle service as well. If you have any Montero or Pajero questions feel free to ask and I'd be happy to talk you through an inspection of potential new machines. I can also give you some contacts to your "local" Pajero enthusiasts to help.

plh

Explorer
Like any 25 year old plus vehicle, they will need maintenance and parts replaced. Caveat with the diesel power plant - no big box parts store will have any parts in stock, or even be able to find the parts (for the most part). Problems will arise at the most inconvenient time, potentially leaving you stranded for several days / weeks (ie: without a vehicle). Please don't plan on this being your only vehicle in the fleet.

Denizen

Like any 25 year old plus vehicle, they will need maintenance and parts replaced. Caveat with the diesel power plant - no big box parts store will have any parts in stock, or even be able to find the parts (for the most part). Problems will arise at the most inconvenient time, potentially leaving you stranded for several days / weeks (ie: without a vehicle). Please don't plan on this being your only vehicle in the fleet.
Yeah, definitely would have a "backup" truck for those instances. my 89 Trooper has been an awesome daily driver for the last 5 years, but I have experienced this a couple of times even with the Trooper. Thanks for the input. Appreciate it!

Denizen

Parts are plentiful but typically order only, service parts are mostly in stock but you'll have a real hard time finding a decent mechanic to work on it. Your best bet is to learn how to maintain it yourself, they are seriously simple and easy to work on however most automotive mechanics just don't get diesels. If you have a Fuso or Caterpillar shop or a shop that specializes in diesel they could handle it.
I don't know that I have enough confidence in my mechanical abilities.:unsure: I'll have to work on that

"however most automotive mechanics just don't get diesels."
My major concern living in the middle of nowhere aka. Vermont. Thanks for the input- appreciate it. The search continues.

JamesW

Adventurer
I've a diesel jdm one, in a country where they were sold natively, and it is getting hard to get parts for it. Buying parts for it in a country where it is completely alien will be a PITA.

The diesels are good for towing, but the petrol V6 is a far better machine for cruising

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Toasty

We got diesels here but only for 3 years or so, I've only owned 1 USDM diesel and it was pretty awesome. When i get a JDM it will be a 3.5 DOHC V6 SWB Pajero for my daily ZOOM!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz