Moab on 2-wheels!!!!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Im not sure if i should have posted this here or in the planned expeditions page but feel free to move it if need be.

My buddies and i are planning a trip to Moab for a tues-sat trip with our motorcycles. We will be towing a 3 rail trailer with 3 honda XR250's behind a 2500 suburban. I have done lots of searching and found some good info but it is mostly geared toward hotel stay and traveling in large groups (5 rigs or more) so my question is this: For those of you who have ever been to moab, what do you wish someone would have told you about it? As far as good cheap camp sites, great motorcycle trails, scenic photo ops, etc..... We are young (21) and have been saving up for awhile to take this trip and we want to make the most of it. We will either be sleeping in the suburban or in a tent. We will be there March 20-24, what should we know about trail openings/closures and weather for this time of year.
I know this is alot of info for one post but basically any tips, tricks, hints, secrets, or all around good info would help us out.

Many thanks

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Moab Brewery....mmmm good cerveza!

I've been too busy doing adventure races there to really get to know the place, but Gemini Bridges is a fun route, scenic and should be pretty nice on those small bikes.

Slickrock campground is a nice one too...

-H-

What you do really depends on the season...right now there's still ice, snow and a lot of mud on the better trails.

It sounds like you're planning on setting up a base camp and riding frontcountry. Check out Amasa Back, Slickrock Trail (despite what the pedalheads might tell ya, it was a trials run for motos before it was a trail run for mtbs!--AFAIK it is still open to motorbikes but check first), and the Gemini Bridges/Sevenmile Rim area. There are always motos up in the Hurrah Pass area, definately check out everything in that direction. Amasa back is great for photos.

Depending what you're in to, maybe look at Area BFE and the Sand Flats Rec Area.

If you want rougher, central Moab has plenty of rough. Rough that's farther away might be Needles, if motos are allowed in there...I'm not sure what is and isn't in those areas since it's park land not BLM.

Sand Flats area is great for cheap camping, and you could ride from camp.

This winter there was a lot of snow, plus flood damage from October. Be prepared for non-park trails to be in potentially worse shape than normal. Any trail with a north-facing slope may still be soft in March, hopefully they won't be covered in snow or mud--we'll be in the Maze while you're in Moab. South facing slopes are currently bare and dry, but some areas with drifts and constant shadow are at 3-4 feet right now in the backcountry...just depends where you ride.

If you want wide open stuff with a little technical thrown in, and close campsites where the Burb can park, try heading to Pritchett Arch from the southern entrance. You'll also have trail access to Pritchett Canyon and Behind the Rocks. There are campsites (I think BLM) all over back there, right off the highway.

Another similar area but lacking established campsites is the Dubinky Well/Spring Canyon/Rainbow Terrace area north of Moab...close access is off 313 and you can come out as far north as the town of Green River if you want. You have similar options if you want to take Klondike Bluffs road over to Salt Valley road, but check moto access for the Klondike Bluffs route. I wouldn't think they're restricted as it's a multi-use trail (mtb, 4wd, hiking), but don't get screwed.

Depending on how you roll, I and possibly a couple other people might be willing to transport fuel and gear if you guys were interested in an extended backcountry/overland trip.

-Sean

Last edited:

TBob

I'm made several trip to Moab for some 2 wheel fun - we stayed at the Bowen Motel each year because the guy orginizing the run got us a group discount. As far as camping I've done that the last 2 - staying at the slickrock campground. http://www.slickrockcampground.com/ decent place and cheap rates. Not sure if you're bikes are street legal but I've never had a problem being non-legal so long as you don't drive like a JA you'll be fine.
As far as runs go Pritchet is a good one make sure to check out the Pritchard arch at the end of the run.
Posion Spyder, Gold Bar, Golden Spike, another must. Again take the detour out to see the arch - not sure the name (little arch??) also when your at that arch follow the foot trail that is off to the left it leads around the corner to a cool natural cave. Once you finnish that run you can cross over the highway and run a 2 track back that runs Parallels with the highway. That takes alot of the highway ride out.
Although just a dirt road in Gemini bridges is cool to check out and it's also fun to check it out from the bottom.
There is also 5 miles of hell if your feeling frisky....didn't get that name for nothing.
Anyhow there are some ideas for ya.

-TBob

jnelson4x4taco said:
Im not sure if i should have posted this here or in the planned expeditions page but feel free to move it if need be.

My buddies and i are planning a trip to Moab for a tues-sat trip with our motorcycles. We will be towing a 3 rail trailer with 3 honda XR250's behind a 2500 suburban. I have done lots of searching and found some good info but it is mostly geared toward hotel stay and traveling in large groups (5 rigs or more) so my question is this: For those of you who have ever been to moab, what do you wish someone would have told you about it? As far as good cheap camp sites, great motorcycle trails, scenic photo ops, etc..... We are young (21) and have been saving up for awhile to take this trip and we want to make the most of it. We will either be sleeping in the suburban or in a tent. We will be there March 20-24, what should we know about trail openings/closures and weather for this time of year.
I know this is alot of info for one post but basically any tips, tricks, hints, secrets, or all around good info would help us out.

Many thanks

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
thanks for the replys guys, i will definately do everything i can to check out those trails. Ive heard alot about different park fees and such, how much money should i factor in for park passes and the like? Also, i know this winter was a little.......okay alot crazy for me in CO but how was it for Utah and what kind of weather conditions should i expect for mid-late march? thanks

jnelson4x4taco said:
thanks for the replys guys, i will definately do everything i can to check out those trails. Ive heard alot about different park fees and such, how much money should i factor in for park passes and the like? Also, i know this winter was a little.......okay alot crazy for me in CO but how was it for Utah and what kind of weather conditions should i expect for mid-late march? thanks
since you're in crawlerado, it's worth your time to get a 50$ annual natl park pass--lotta stuff in range from here. otherwise iirc it's ten bucks a hit, and i think it lasts 5 or 7 days. get one if you'll be on park lands at all, but most of the stuff you'll be on will likely be blm, not nps.

like i said before, currently any shadowed slope still has between a couple inches and a couple feet depending on drifting. right now they're at about 2"...meaning anything regularly exposed to sunlight is bare and dry, shadow is ~4" + slushy/muddy, everything else is drying out. stick to exposed trails and you'll be fine. if you get to drifted areas, the end of march might be a little soft in places but overall should be fine. what happened was the rain storms left a lot of damage in the backcountry, followed by cold and snow that locked the absorbed moisture in place, so the problem (if any) will be mud and potentially some corn snow in places, not powder or drifts.

yes, i've been bugging the parks and blm guys a lot lately :). that's all information i've got from them in the last few days.

my gut feeling is you'll be fine in march.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94