Moby ******** in tha hizzy

So I did the deed, flying to Nashville from SW Florida with my boy to buy a 2006 LX a couple of weeks back. 175K, southern truck, crystal white with tan interior, no undercarriage rust, pretty extensive dealership maintenance records, timing belt and H20 pump done at 120K, very good reviews by a local mechanic I paid to look the truck over before booking flights. Has a clear coat issue on the hood (hard water spots?) and the seat leather is just starting to show its age but overall it's in great shape.

Hopped right in with a few basics this past weekend:
  • wet sanded and polished part of hood
  • lazily treated leather seats with a Magic Eraser and Lexol spray (will do a full clean and soak soon)
  • wrapped the slick steering wheel in a plush leather cover
  • rear mud flap delete with fabbed replacements (landcruiserphil on ih8mud)...not shown in photo since I hadn't gotten to it yet
  • installed US Spec BT-45 TOY bluetooth music player (kept stock mic for phone calls)
  • removed side steps, curb-stomped them and threw them into a corner of my garage to ponder the error of their ways
  • debadged the ******** end of all save the Big L badge
Life is happening fast (two kids in college, annual family vacation in Boone NC, etc.) so we're going to take Moby ******** (think of the pun potential) on a series of long road trips over the next couple of months. I know what to expect to some extent: on the drive down to FL from TN the truck stunned us with its plush seats and rock-solid-stable feel on both freeways and uneven back roads. In fact, the current tires (Continental 275/60/R18 Latitude Tour HP something-or-other) produced such a silky smooth experience that I'm reconsidering an aggressive an A/T (for fear of adding unwanted road noise or roughing up the ride). Then again, I do want moderate off-road capability and a further degree of separation from the soccer-mom looks so a more-aggressive-but-still-civil-on-the-tarmac A/T tire will almost certainly win out (suggestions welcome). Oh, and I'm digging the AHC. Maybe it's just the novelty of the thing but damn: I lowered the truck so my 5-3 wife could hop in fairly easily then cranked it right back up to slide under for the side-step removal. Very cool. Can't wait to give it a go in some sugar sand or along some not-too-soggy fire roads.

We still have Fuggly the old Gen 3 Montero as my skiff-puller, wheeler and around-town hauler but Moby ******** is the heir apparent in the long-distance trips department. I'll check in from time to time with updates on (what I expect to be pretty straightforward) mods. I'm far from the most gifted DIYer you'll ever meet but I can mash my way through most upgrades; looking forward to putting this thing through the paces and learning from the informed locals.

Last edited:
Running K02s should be in your options. If you really want a tough tire, that wont completely destroy the ride, its a Toyo RT. Any AT certainly wont improve the ride.

anything around 33 inch in BFG K02 will fit nice with some simple modifications that wont deteriorate ride quality. At the correct PSI, they will be clouds, yet have a sidewall that will be responsive.
Your wheels are 18inch i believe, can you fit a 17inch? Some black Methods in a 17 with K02 in 33 inch and this beast could go anywhere

You didnt mention what you got it for? This is a golden nugget in the rough you found.

tennesseewj

Observer
Nice find!

KO2s are awesome and are obviously the ExPo standard. If you want to consider alternatives, I'd throw Cooper AT3s and Bridgestone Dueler ATs in the mix.

I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2s on my wife's Jeep and I've been very pleased with them. Good tread life, even wear, good traction, no vibrations, and they are noticeably more quiet than the KO2s on my truck. I believe that tire was recently redesigned and I can't speak for the newest version, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Nice find!

KO2s are awesome and are obviously the ExPo standard. If you want to consider alternatives, I'd throw Cooper AT3s and Bridgestone Dueler ATs in the mix.

I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2s on my wife's Jeep and I've been very pleased with them. Good tread life, even wear, good traction, no vibrations, and they are noticeably more quiet than the KO2s on my truck. I believe that tire was recently redesigned and I can't speak for the newest version, though.

KO2's on the 4Runner, and AT3's on the Taco. KO2's hands down, every time.

I don't hate the AT3, they're a good tire. But the KO2 are just better all round, and I honestly can't tell the difference feel wise. The sidewalls are more forgiving/pliable, they lock up less in the wet/snow.

jonnyquest, that cartoon is solid gold. :LOL:

TrailWhale wrote: “Running K02s should be in your options.”

They’re on the short list. That’s what I run on my old Montero…

You didnt mention what you got it for? This is a golden nugget in the rough you found.”

Thanks, and I sure hope you’re right. Got it for $14,500 out the door (actually $15K OTD but the dealer reimbursed me $500 for the paint issue after I raised hell). Broke my rule about never paying more than $8K for a vehicle. Got the Monty for $3600 and it’s been a gem — though it’s an unrefined beast compared to the smoooooothness of the LX. My wife is driving the LX and flat loves it. I can't get the keys back.

tennesseewj wrote: “KO2s are awesome and are obviously the ExPo standard. If you want to consider alternatives, I'd throw Cooper AT3s and Bridgestone Dueler ATs in the mix.

Duly noted, and thank you. Are you in Tennessee? We’ll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait to fish the Watauga.

battleaxe wrote: “KO2's on the 4Runner, and AT3's on the Taco. KO2's hands down, every time.“

Seems to be a running theme in this place no matter the sub-forum. Great tires though mine hum pretty good (likely due to the Gen 3 Montero's notorious tendency to transmit tire noise).

“I don't hate the AT3, they're a good tire. But the KO2 are just better all round, and I honestly can't tell the difference feel wise. The sidewalls are more forgiving/pliable”

More great, appreciated input. Tires cost a pretty penny nowadays so it pays to ask around.

By the way, what are your honest opinions about the stock 18" rims in the first photo? My first reaction was negative since I hate blingy rims and thought they were chrome at first glance. Turns out they're not -- more of a slightly dull metallic color. They're growing on me and ebay reveals that they're actually pricey items. I may run them for awhile and then try repainting them in an anthracite color. Some dude on ih8mud strapped KO2s on his and they look pretty good all dirty:

By the way, just did some searches and realized that the Moby ******** name has been used by a couple of other Expo member. So much for originality. But since no one took legal steps to protect it: MobyDick™

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
tennesseewj wrote: “KO2s are awesome and are obviously the ExPo standard. If you want to consider alternatives, I'd throw Cooper AT3s and Bridgestone Dueler ATs in the mix.

Duly noted, and thank you. Are you in Tennessee? We’ll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait to fish the Watauga.

I'm in the Knoxville area. Haven't fished Watuaga but that area is gorgeous and I hear the fishing is good so hopefully it'll be a good trip

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Congrats on the find Crispy. Factory Toyota wheels are always best unless you want to spend big. The quality is there, and as you saw, they are not cheap. I changed to Sequoia 17s on my ‘89 4Runner, and kept the factory originals on my 100. 18s aren’t the best with 33s as you don’t get a lot of sidewall, so that would be my only reason to go to different wheels.

blatant1

Nice work! Great find. Looks awesome. Be sure to hang around mud as well, another great resource as this place is.

hayde89

jonnyquest, that cartoon is solid gold. :LOL:

TrailWhale wrote: “Running K02s should be in your options.”

They’re on the short list. That’s what I run on my old Montero…

View attachment 516490

You didnt mention what you got it for? This is a golden nugget in the rough you found.”

Thanks, and I sure hope you’re right. Got it for $14,500 out the door (actually $15K OTD but the dealer reimbursed me $500 for the paint issue after I raised hell). Broke my rule about never paying more than $8K for a vehicle. Got the Monty for $3600 and it’s been a gem — though it’s an unrefined beast compared to the smoooooothness of the LX. My wife is driving the LX and flat loves it. I can't get the keys back.

battleaxe wrote: “KO2's on the 4Runner, and AT3's on the Taco. KO2's hands down, every time.“

Seems to be a running theme in this place no matter the sub-forum. Great tires though mine hum pretty good (likely due to the Gen 3 Montero's notorious tendency to transmit tire noise).

“I don't hate the AT3, they're a good tire. But the KO2 are just better all round, and I honestly can't tell the difference feel wise. The sidewalls are more forgiving/pliable”

More great, appreciated input. Tires cost a pretty penny nowadays so it pays to ask around.

By the way, what are your honest opinions about the stock 18" rims in the first photo? My first reaction was negative since I hate blingy rims and thought they were chrome at first glance. Turns out they're not -- more of a slightly dull metallic color. They're growing on me and ebay reveals that they're actually pricey items. I may run them for awhile and then try repainting them in an anthracite color. Some dude on ih8mud strapped KO2s on his and they look pretty good all dirty:

View attachment 516498

By the way, just did some searches and realized that the Moby ******** name has been used by a couple of other Expo member. So much for originality. But since no one took legal steps to protect it: MobyDick™

Those are my favorite factory wheels. Honestly I would keep them. I wish my LX came with those instead of the uglier factory 18s. Another option would be Tundra take offs. Most are 18s as well but if you can score a set of coveted Rock Warriors 17s that works too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles