Modern Farm Truck

Very beginner question, but are titanium or cobalt bits worth a damn when drilling through a frame? Very excited to see more of your work btw.

I don't bother with expensive drill bits anymore. I buy jobber bits in high speed steel. It's more important how you drill than which bit you use. The right pressure and speed are required and vary from different materials and thicknesses.

bkg

Explorer
Thanks Brian. I wasn't sure this one was "thread worthy" but I figured the basic nature of this truck would appeal to some of you guys.

I use SEM self etching primer and then cover it with Dupli Color engine enamel in flat black. The primer not only helps the paint stick, but it also adds depth to the final finish. The engine enamel has a high ceramic content making it impervious to chemicals.!

Basic, as you state, is often harder to pull off than extreme... In my opinion.

Thanks for the info on the paint... Very surprised at the amount of sheen for a flat. I've started to use a "plastic trim" black as a really rich, deep... And just the right amount of sheen for my tastes... But given its hard to find, I shall be stealing your prescription.

Here's the truck without any weight on the rear. I don't think you can see from this angle, but the rear shackles actually point at the springs. Totally the wrong direction.

I put my quad plus a couple sheets of thick aluminum on the back to approximate the loaded payload (about 900 lbs) and the truck now sits about 1/4" low in the rear and the shackle angle is much improved.

That is a 2" lift OME spring with the "medium" rate option in the rear and sitting on 31x10.50's. The front shackles are 5" and the rears are stock. The front axle has been moved forward an inch.

I love the look.

Simons

Adventurer
Another great project, it's always a pleasant surprise to stumble onto your next! Cheers !
Regarding the use of primer, what are you using? I've been searching for a weld through self etching primer. I can find either self etching or weld through.

owyheerat

Adventurer
Nice! Again!

This truck is gonna be so simple and so nice. I would gladly drive it...every day! It reminds me (a little) of a bone stock 87 extracab I had years ago. I miss wing windows:ylsmoke:

As always, very nice work. I appreciate your skill and attention to detail.

Durwin

Doc_

Sammich!
I've followed a few of your build threads, and I'm really impressed with the quality of your work.
I think it's funny that I've never heard of your outfit before, I've spent a lot of time in your neck of the woods with family off Georgia Slide in Georgetown. I guess it pays to hang my head out window from time-to-time.

Another great project, it's always a pleasant surprise to stumble onto your next! Cheers !
Regarding the use of primer, what are you using? I've been searching for a weld through self etching primer. I can find either self etching or weld through.

Thank you. I didn't even consider starting a thread on this truck until I saw it sitting on four tires. It just had that appeal that I knew you guys would appreciate.

SEM self etching primer for normal application and SEM Copperweld for the spots that need protection between layers.

Looking good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really nice!

This truck is gonna be so simple and so nice. I would gladly drive it...every day! It reminds me (a little) of a bone stock 87 extracab I had years ago. I miss wing windows:ylsmoke:

As always, very nice work. I appreciate your skill and attention to detail.

Durwin

I've followed a few of your build threads, and I'm really impressed with the quality of your work.
I think it's funny that I've never heard of your outfit before, I've spent a lot of time in your neck of the woods with family off Georgia Slide in Georgetown. I guess it pays to hang my head out window from time-to-time.

Thank you guys.

I've only been here for 8 years.

I worked for Inchworm Gear while I was living in the bay area (yes, 100 mile commute each way) but I took that job so I could look around for a home up here after work. Once we bought a place, I went out on my own. I don't advertise and my shop is not very easy to find, but if you ask locally, my name is starting to gain traction. I kind of fell into Toyotas though. I have a background building engines for road racing cars, but building trucks was a passion of mine, and I knew all these guys with Toyota crawlers so...

Give me a call next time your in the area. I'd love to show you around the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles