Modern truck camper for an adventurous family of five?

Crux

If you pack like you are backpacking and have an external setup (like a CLAM screened enclosure) you'll really only use the camper for sleeping.
Not sure how you'll figure out the AC tho - maybe a portal unit hooked to a small generator?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I suggest a forward control Japanese or Euro 4WD light truck with built-on expedition style body. The US products are lousy for the job you want to do (IMHO).
Sit 2 or 3 in the front and the others in the living area behind while travelling. Maximise solar, 3-400L water, diesel heating and hot water.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

2wheel-lee

We are also a family of five (9 year old boy/girl twins and a 15 year old girl). We do a lot of different types of camping, with a bunch of trips a year from 10-14 days. The longer trips are usually in the trailer, which hauls our Samurai and a couple motorcycles while the other go in the truck. With 150 gallons of water, fully loaded, we're 24,000 pounds. It doesn't look like that much, but it is. The truck is overloaded (shopping for an F450 right now, since I just learned of the actual weight). We've done trips where the kids are doing their distance learning, while we're doing our "working remotely." Sometimes due to weather, we have to spend a lot of time inside. We are fortunate to have enough space. I wouldn't want any less for these conditions.

We also do a lot of tent camping trips in our Jeep. While these are typically only 3-4 days, space fills up fast. All of it. These are only fair-weather trips, for the most part. Though we've done these kinds of trips in the truck as well, and so we can bring a different selection of stuff...including a bunch of our mountain bikes.

I'll say that it's tough to pick a camper. I've considered getting a truck camper for our next truck, when we get it and use a cargo trailer for other stuff (Jeep, bikes, etc.), but that style of camping will be limited. Five people in a slide-in will be tough. If you're camping with activities (biking/hiking), you're going to want to shower. Slide-ins don't offer a lot of water capacity or sleeping space. Not saying it's not possible, but it comes with challenges. I really comes down to what kind of experience you want, and what your needs are and what you're willing to compromise.

Attachments

• 134514057_10221670880115432_1231266465715905613_o.jpg
    134514057_10221670880115432_1231266465715905613_o.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 118732053_10220898059955411_1999961324034030482_o.jpg
    118732053_10220898059955411_1999961324034030482_o.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 119518842_1778006872338346_2841184051242126776_n.jpg
    119518842_1778006872338346_2841184051242126776_n.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 61

wirenut

Adventurer
I had an 11' TC when it was just me and my wife; it worked great. We had one kid and it was still fine. We had a second kid and it was okay but tight. We saw thousands of miles thru many states with that camper. Then we had a third kid and that was it for the truck camper. We camped in it twice with all five of us and it was NOT fun. I'd love to have a TC because it's easy to pull my boat behind but I just can't find one, even the big triple slide campers, that will satisfactorily accommodate a family of five. But, maybe you're not as picky as our family and one of the larger ones will suit you.
As for choice of truck just forget the 1500 and 2500 they are not remotely capable of hauling 5 people, their gear, and a camper that big. Your bare minimum truck is a SRW 3500 but that will require some modifications and still very well loaded. A dually would be a much more appropriate vehicle. If I were going to try to put my family in a big TC and pull my boat I would have a 4500 or 5500 Ram underneath it for sure.

billiebob

reading your list.
daily driver plus a garage to store the camper pretty much says pickup camper.
family of 5 says Quad Cab, and long box to fit a full 9' long camper...plus a slider.

even things like a Transit, Quigley, etc don't sit 5 as safely as a Quad Cab and there is no way they are a daily driver.
full size Quad Cab, 8' box, SRW or DRW your choice, gas will save you $10K at least.
40 years ago we had an F250 CrewCab for a family of 4... it was wonderful and a great DD.
nothing like driving 60 miles home on Boxing Day thru a snow storm.

ps, drove it for 20 years and never spent a dollar on any "mods". Still box stock the day I sold it.
and we tented the whole time.

eventually by the time yer youngest is 10, you'll want a trailer

But I think yer a bit light on budget, even used
the only way I see sleeping 5 is with the kids all upstairs in the massive double and the adults in the convertible dinette.

you might try renting before buying
I think a better buy is an F150 plus a trailer with bunk beds..

Last edited:

MontyMontero

How old (big) are your kids? We have four (2 adults, 2 kids) in a Grandby slide in on a full length F250 and it is tight with the two toddlers. A flatbed full-size truck is probably the best option for something that could potentially be a daily driver and still be comfortable. The scout with the rooftop tent is interesting, going to be really cold up there though come ski season!

You can also take the swoops off with a heat gun if you find a swoopy camper you like!

Also go with the bigger 1 ton truck over the 3/4 ton. With the 3/4 you will always be worrying about GVWR with a camper and gear for 5.

All good points thanks. My kids are 4, 8 and 10.

MontyMontero

The problem with threads like this, is that the OP's stated goals span a range of vehicle needs that is too wide to be met by one vehicle, and what happens, is that the vehicle suggested ends up being bad at everything.

In order to transport five people in a pickup, you would need a 4-door crew-cab version. And in order to carry a camper big enough for five people, it would need to be a one-ton long-bed dually. And a one-ton crew-cab 4x4 long-bed dually is not only an utterly absurd choice for commuting (with or without a giant camper), it's also not going to be capable of "off-roading" any more than state campgrounds.

And even then, he'll only be able to access campgrounds with well-trimmed trees. Let's face it, consumer-grade campers struggle to even keep rainwater out for any length of time- getting tangled up with an overhead tree branch on a trail in the dark, could reduce his camper to a pile of debris on the ground behind him. Heck, duallies lose their fiberglass fenders on public roads- they're gonna be even harder to keep on the truck once you're off the interstate.

A MUCH better solution, would be something like an Audi A4 Allroad station wagon, which will get around 30 mpg, provide dignified and comfortable transportation for five people, even in the snow (because of the all wheel drive), fits in normal-sized garages and parking spaces, and it can tow a travel trailer MUCH bigger and more comfortable than the slide-in camper he's considering, with a narrower overall width and a much lower overall height (less risk of tree damage).
95% of the year, I work from home. In a house.

MontyMontero

If you pack like you are backpacking and have an external setup (like a CLAM screened enclosure) you'll really only use the camper for sleeping.
Not sure how you'll figure out the AC tho - maybe a portal unit hooked to a small generator?
Yes, this is a key point. We have California weather. We pack like we are backpacking. Might supplement with tents or screened enclosure. Would have indoor / outdoor set-up. Thnx.

Last edited:

MontyMontero

reading your list.
daily driver plus a garage to store the camper pretty much says pickup camper.
family of 5 says Quad Cab, and long box to fit a full 9' long camper...plus a slider.

even things like a Transit, Quigley, etc don't sit 5 as safely as a Quad Cab and there is no way they are a daily driver.
full size Quad Cab, 8' box, SRW or DRW your choice, gas will save you $10K at least.
40 years ago we had an F250 CrewCab for a family of 4... it was wonderful and a great DD.
nothing like driving 60 miles home on Boxing Day thru a snow storm.

ps, drove it for 20 years and never spent a dollar on any "mods". Still box stock the day I sold it.
and we tented the whole time.

eventually by the time yer youngest is 10, you'll want a trailer

But I think yer a bit light on budget, even used
the only way I see sleeping 5 is with the kids all upstairs in the massive double and the adults in the convertible dinette.

you might try renting before buying
I think a better buy is an F150 plus a trailer with bunk beds..
Thank you.

MontyMontero

I agree about a towable. If you want to camp on fire trails, there are off road style trailers with a bit more ground clearance. Maybe a Taxa Mantis with a bunk bed if one of the kids is small enough to sleep with mom and dad.
An off road capable camper for 5 with air conditioning on a 30K plus truck budget is a tall order.
Yes we've looked at that Taxa Mantris. Pretty cool i.e. functional. Maybe just get another 4Runner with a Mantis.

TheLex

We have a family of five. I have triplet 9 y.o. boys who are rapidly growing. We normally pull a 34' fifth wheel with bunk beds using my F450. If I need more water, I can easily carry as much as I want in the bed of my pickup.

We've considered a truck camper as well for simplicity. It'd be nice to have something that's just easy to get up and go for weekends and short trips. But with kids that are about to be pre-teens, we would need something like a Host Mammoth, the big Eagle Cap, or a Lance 1172. Those are all at least 4600 to well over 6000 lbs. No way can they be carried with a SRW truck. Some folks would say even my F450 is not enough because it'll be over the payloads sticker, although most folks in the know go by rear axle load and tire load specs (that's what CHP would check if they ever did). The big hard sided campers will carry over 40 gallons of water and about 30-40 gals gray/black. That'll still mean you'll have to conserve water like heck when dry camping.

These big truck campers can be outfitted with solar, small gensets, lithium batters, and plenty of propane. But that stuff all adds weight to an already heavy camper.

If you want to really get off road, it's going to be tough to get very far with a big ass dually with a high center of gravity. Some folks will single out the wheels and install MRAP military wheels and Goodyear MPT81 military tires front and rear. That'll allow you to install a more off road capable suspension but I'm not sure how well that kind of suspension is going to play with all that weight.

At the end of the day, IMO you're better off buying a 3500 SRW F350 with the Godzilla 7.3 motor, and a Black Series camper - something like the HQ17. That camper is very off road capable and you can easily outfit a SRW full sized truck with a full Carli suspension that will take you most everywhere you want to go. However you'll still be sized limited.

If you really really want to get off the beaten path then you're into something like a very light off-road camper towed by something like a Jeep Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow package.

Jonnyo

Observer
we are a family of 5. i play with many truck camper and even travel trailer but i have very similar criteria to you and need to vehicle to be my daily driver and light offroad capable.

in the end, we found a big ford Transit Van to be the best vehicle for all this by far. much more room then the truck camper, everyone as a proper bed, it s a great daily driver and it does offroading as good as a truck with a big camper on top.

overall, i found very few recreational vehicle are design for 5 people... it s 2 or 4. customizing/DIY is often needed

MTVR

we are a family of 5. i play with many truck camper and even travel trailer but i have very similar criteria to you and need to vehicle to be my daily driver and light offroad capable.

in the end, we found a big ford Transit Van to be the best vehicle for all this by far. much more room then the truck camper, everyone as a proper bed, it s a great daily driver and it does offroading as good as a truck with a big camper on top.

So you solo commute in a Transit camper van?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior