Montero may be totaled. What now?

evomaki

Observer
I'm sure it might vary by state, but how does that deal work with your insurance? Do they total the car and pay you for it and you buy it back? Salvage title? Or do you negotiate for the maximum payment you can from them, get a check and go at it yourself? In either case probably should drop collision and comprehensive on these older cars. I think we pay for coverage that's not that great when you need it.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
My argument against comprehensive is the cost per year vs benefit ratio. If I had paid comprehensive on mine for the last 3 years it would have been as much as a new montero. I'd rather pocket the money and stash it away just in case.

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. I'll post up some pictures of the damage when I get it back from the body shop.

I'm sure it might vary by state, but how does that deal work with your insurance? Do they total the car and pay you for it and you buy it back? Salvage title? Or do you negotiate for the maximum payment you can from them, get a check and go at it yourself? In either case probably should drop collision and comprehensive on these older cars. I think we pay for coverage that's not that great when you need it.

The insurance will offer me what the cars worth (probably based on blue book) and then I can buy it back for what they think its worth at a salvage auction. I'd get to keep the difference. The title would then be "salvage", but I really don't care about that. I should know Monday what that price is. I asked the adjuster about adding the extra parts and he said it would increase the value, but in turn the salvage value would also go up. I agree, for a 5-6k vehicle full coverage is not worth it. We have an 2001 F250 that has full coverage, but I'm probably going to look into dropping it as well.

Good choice, if you need any parts let me know - i have quite a few extra Gen3 parts stockpiled. No radiators but I've got the intake tubes, maf, and fan shroud.

Thanks for the offer! I ordered all the body parts. I will let you know when I tear it down and find what else it needs.

D

Deleted member 9101

Full coverage has the advantage of including a rental car and a few other perks, especially if you are hit by an uninsured motorist or need your windshield replaced.

On my 2017 F150 the difference between liability and full coverage is about 30.00 a month. When I had a 2002 tundra the difference was about 10.00 per month.

offthepath

Adventurer
Montero is back at home. Insurance settlement was fair so I'm happy. With the used parts I'll be way ahead. Luckley I pulled some stuff off and the radiator is fine. The leaking fluid was actually the washer fluid tank. Once the body parts get in, I think it will only take a few hours to swap everything.

20191127_193208.jpg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Ray, aka Off Roader, may have a Gen 3 for sale. I'm encouraging him on many places to make room for the Gen 1 stored at my place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles