Monteros on craigslist

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
If I had the room I'd probably snag this for a long term project. See that little orange tag down there?
a26245961ebfa7302fb4ebaea565d46a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203...36716686444276/?sale_post_id=1236716686444276

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
2003 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD - $2999 (YORBA LINDA - Orange County)
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6035245752.html

Just an FYI:
I texted Ed about this Montero on March 8th.
I asked if it had been smogged within the last 6 months and has the timing belt ever been changed.
No reply as of March 14th
My experience with no replies to a basic tech question is a seller looking for a non-informed buyer. (red flag)
I contacted Costa Mesa Mitsubishi Service dept (referenced in ad). The rep didn't get too detailed but did say that the timing belt has never been replaced (171K miles). When I asked about regular maintenance, he said the car has been in for problems (check engine light or codes), but the preventive maintenance history was not impressive.
Running the VIN show it was made for the Caribbean market. It may have been later imported to the US. I don't know if that would create any issues with smog, insurance, or title.
This one looked too good to be true. (and probably is)

Last edited:

TheMole

Adventurer
Just an FYI:
I texted “Ed” about this Montero on March 8[SUP]th[/SUP].
I asked if it had been smogged within the last 6 months and has the timing belt ever been changed.
No reply as of March 14[SUP]th[/SUP].
My experience with “no replies” to a basic tech question is a seller looking for a non-informed buyer. (red flag)
I contacted Costa Mesa Mitsubishi Service dept (referenced in ad). The rep didn't get too detailed but did say that the timing belt has never been replaced (171K miles). When I asked about regular maintenance, he said the car has been in for problems (check engine light or codes), but the preventive maintenance history was not impressive.
Running the VIN show it was made for the Caribbean market. It may have been later imported to the US. I don't know if that would create any issues with smog, insurance, or title.
This one looked too good to be true. (and probably is)

Sorry to hear, but thanks for the update so that others are informed!

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
After 9 months of searching I thought I found the one! Monty Corona, CA

1998 Gen 2.5 in apparently excellent condition. Only 137k miles.

00D0D_dn2rFYSqClI_600x450.jpg

I contacted the owner, exchanged several texts, phone calls, and emails. Seemed like a nice guy initially.
He tells me it's in excellent condition, all the maintenance is done. "You won't find another one like it!"

Sweet! I was willing to pay asking price if it all checked out. I don't' mind paying a premium for condition and rarity. Before making a 4-5+ hour round trip to Corona to test drive and purchase, I contacted him to make sure he had a current smog certificate in hand. In CA the seller is required to have smog certification, within last 90 days, to complete a sales transaction.

Well, then the story suddenly changes "Uhh, the Montero has been flashing a check engine light for a couple of weeks". (Red Flag #1). He knowingly and intentionally withheld critical information. (Red flag #2) My trust is wavering.

He says it will pass smog, and if I buy it he will get it fixed. (WTH?).

I informed him, that in CA he is responsible for smog certification before the sale. Even if the tailpipe passes, you can't have a check engine light. The computer will be throwing codes. Any engine codes and you will fail the smog. No smog, no sale.

He essentially says, he won't smog or fix it till someone buys it. (red flag #3) Three strikes, you're out!

I know people in CA (a family member included) with older cars that passed at the tail pipe, but couldn't clear codes. After too many dollars spent troubleshooting and replacing parts, they cut their losses and scrapped them. No smog, no registration! I wasn't going to pay this deceptive guy $6300, then get stiffed if he doesn't get it fixed and smogged. That's just dumb.

I politely emailed him "I'll pass, thanks". His response was a juvenile attempt at a personal put-down to me. (Classy fellow!)

The biggest liars in my adult life have been those selling used cars and folks in the Real Estate business. This tool was both. I should have just run screaming in the opposite direction as soon as he told me.

BTW this clown has another Monty on Craigslist. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5995336071.html Caveat Emptor!

00606_6jwsuLIEpNY_600x450.jpg

Personally, I don't like the way he does business. I don't trust him. And he's just plain rude when he doesn't get his way. I could not in clear conscious recommend him to a fellow Expedition Portal brother.

The very best liars are usually friendly, charismatic, and believable. No matter how good the story, take everything you are told by a seller with a grain of salt. If you are unsure, ask for paperwork or proof. Be a skeptic not a rube.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94