Monteros on craigslist

BOPOH

Explorer
it looks like a reseller - temp tags, from what i know Gen1 is all-time 4wd not 2wheel drive, and "1992" sounds wrong because that's the year Gen2 was introduced. I'm not an expert but there are too many red flags

Eric M

Adventurer
Gen 1s all have part time 4WD systems, but the year is wrong as it often is on craigslist. I wouldn't necessarily avoid it, I would just take that as dealing with someone who doesn't know about the car.

96LTDrus

Observer
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5140806680.html - $2900 3.8L 150K miles - i can check it out if anybody is really interested

00W0W_eRVXe3s7rUb_600x450.jpg

Privet BOPOH, if this is close to you, would you mind taking a peek? If it's like the others I've seen, it'll need the valve cover gaskets/cam seals done but that's not a huge worry. I'm more interested in how it drives, especially out on the highway. Every single 3rd gen I've tried so far feels like it needs the driveshaft balanced or something (highway vibration).

Thanks!

EDIT: didn't realize I was looking at a month old posting that had expired! Never mind!

coreman23

I'm not well versed enough in these to know if it has the rear locker or not, or if it would even be worth grabbing at that low a price. but I am thinking about it, so any pro tips welcome.

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/5224975446.html

No locker. The years with the locker have the headlight washers and a big orange sticker on the drivers side of the tunnel. 3rd row is missing as well. No title either. And if nothing else is wrong, why is the tire off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howirolla

Campfire Passport
probably somewhere in the junkyard because it's a salvage title

haha yea I saw that

That's a 2.5 and a locker. I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like body damage on that missing signal side. It is a salvage too, but the price isn't bad, but it's a dealership, so you won't get records or any history on it.

I do know enough to know that's a 2.5, was just posting to make sure I had figured out what coreman23 had posted.

I have heard that these rigs have horrible transmissions. any words in regards to that from owners here?

coreman23

I have heard that these rigs have horrible transmissions. any words in regards to that from owners here?

I don't know where you heard that, and I don't have one, but I've never heard a negative thing about the transmissions in Monteros. I've only heard good things

maskarade

it looks like a reseller - temp tags, from what i know Gen1 is all-time 4wd not 2wheel drive, and "1992" sounds wrong because that's the year Gen2 was introduced. I'm not an expert but there are too many red flags

Gen 1s all have part time 4WD systems, but the year is wrong as it often is on craigslist. I wouldn't necessarily avoid it, I would just take that as dealing with someone who doesn't know about the car.

Thanks for the heads up, turns out its still available if it's too sketchy I'll back off and wait for a gen 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne