Morticon's '00 XJ Limited "SuperStock" Build

Morticon

Adventurer
Well I have found good news in the bad news, the seals on the water pump are shot so its being replaced while he's in there. He also checked my oil, no murkiness or anything so looks like I'm still avoiding the crack of death in the cylinder head.

Also there is a confirmed slight weeping of oil from the rear main seal but he said its so little don't even worry about it just keep an eye on your oil levels. So that's a good thing. Would throwing a bead of silicone around the flange do anything or be worth my time? I know I'd have to clean it up extremely well for it to stick.

Still hoping to get some front recovery points on it and get out for a long trip this year. I still have 5 days to use up before the end of the year. Maybe ill head out in October after my brother and I finish our week long trip down to Pennsylvania.

OttawaXJ

Observer
Love the XJ man. Definately make sure you get some tow points. Personally I dont see a point in the detours backbone but thats just me. I'd rather a strong rear bumper/tire carrier combo.

I'd say do the rear main. Better to have it sealed up and not worry about it then have it weeping oil into the ground when your off the road. Great to see another Ontarian into overlanding, especially with an XJ, hope to see you out there man.

Morticon

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliment! Yes they are definitely next on my list. The thing I liked about the detours bumper is that it keeps the XJ looking stock. I already have a monster of a jeep with my JK and I don't need another one. But I do understand your point.

I would love to do the rear main along with a bunch of other stuff, but it comes a point where it's just to expensive to do all the work and still have money for Gas.

It is good to see another Ontarian around here!

Morticon

Adventurer
Thanks man! Yup I can get them up here in Canada for around 115 plus taxes which ain't to bad, probably better then getting them shipped. I'm going to be spending a week in the Pennsylvania with my brother in September so I might try and pick some stuff while I'm over there!

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Flying or driving to Pa?

Curious why you reattached your rear swaybar. IMHO, they seem useless on leaf sprung axles.

As far as stock replacement parts too, try rockauto.com

yossarian19

Observer
Noticed how bad the stock headlights are, yet?
You can go a few different ways. Truck-Lite makes a heckuva product in their LED 5x7 light. Or you can go with some sort of upgrade bulb (either sealed beam or H4 conversion) and a relay harness.
To me, it's the #1 mod I've done to my XJ.
Looking forward to reading the rest of the project!

Morticon

Adventurer
Were driving down in my brothers 2000 Nissan Xterra, Sitting on 235/85R16s and a custom 2" lift. shes a pretty capable rig, and just has more space for the 2 of us and my dog. Check out his build thread here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/79780-Mortonm-s-2001-Xterra-Build

Yes I have heard of Rock Auto, just not worth it when it comes to shipping accross the border.

As for the rear swaybar, I dont know why I re-attached it. I probably will fully get rid of it eventually. Im just so use to my coil sprung jk, thinking it would be a bad idea.

Morticon

Adventurer
Yes, I found some cheap replacements at Princess Auto, for 10 bucks a pop, they were a lot better... still nothing special.

Next Step is Front tow Hooks and a A/C recharge (real exciting right!?) haha.

The next real big thing is new tires, I want some 215/85R16 Duratracs but theres just so much tread left on these its not worth it just yet.

After that I want some auxiliary lights mounted to the bumper, but That will probably be this winter. It would also be nice to get the one fog light that is not working, operational.

Morticon

Adventurer
Anyone else struggle to see stop lights at intersections when they pull up?

I sit so tall in my XJ that I can never see them, I always have to look out the driveside window to look at the lights going the other way to see when they go red, then duck my head for the 3 seconds to wait and see when the green light appears ahead of me.

Im only 5'11" so its not like im super tall, I have the electronicaly controlled seats in my XJ and theyre as low as they go.

Another question.

I am looking at getting a set of 215/85R16s. Anyone think I will have trouble with them fitting on my OME 2" Lift?

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
It may sound smartass but it's not; don't pull up to the light so close. I'm 5'10" and have no issues. (4.5" LA lift, 33's)

Morticon

Adventurer
I may sound like a smartass in my reply, but I pull up to the white line, like everyone else does, no further. Also, I am runing 29's and a 2" lift so the top of yoru windscreen sits 4.5" taller then mine does. That would make a big difference.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Yup, I'm sure that's the difference! I can't imagine the traffic light height is different between the States and Canada.

Morticon

Adventurer
No I really dont see the hieght being different at all either, due to the afact they all would have to accomodate the same size trucks passing under them!

Morticon

Adventurer
So now that weve established my jeep is to low to the ground, lets see what I can do to make it taller! Does anyone see why I wouldnt fit 215/85R16's on my jeep?

2" OME lift, and I would run my 16" Icon rims with either 5.25, or 5.5 Back Spacing(not sure what back spacing it has really but from my reasearch its one fo those two).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke