Morticon's '00 XJ Limited "SuperStock" Build

Morticon

Adventurer
So I know I have another thread on here but that was more of a hey look what I just bought! thread.

I bought this vehicle as a DD/ADventurer/Camper. I have a 2008 JK sitting on 35s, 4.56 gears, 4" lift. locked front, and rear and on and on and on the list of upgrades go. This XJ is not meant to crawl, but to get me out there explore, and be a means of enjoying the outdoors. I recently bought a Mountain Bike(in an attempt to get back in to shape... well see how that goes) and I plan to do a lot of hiking /camping this summer as well. XJ is a perfect fit for me. Its small stature and skinny width are perfect for the Ontario trails up here as they can get rather narrow, and for most of them brush scratches are imminent. But as I will be usuing this to pound lots of pavement to get to the great out doors (oh the joy of living in Souther Ontario where everything is so built up) I want to keep it as stock as possible, but make it as Capable as possible at the same time. Insert the term "SuperStock". Some of you may know it as "the way it should of come from the factory".

Slight lift, slightly larger tires, some interior upgrades and then go enjoy it!

Where it was at When I bought it:

Red Limited 2000 XJ
Leather seats
Power everything
Factory amp and subs
3.55 Gears with Limited Slip
NP 242 Transfer case
225/70R16 wornout bald wear marker showing street tires
Saggy saggy saggy rear end from years of the previous owner towing a small trailer from Toronto up to Northbay on weekends
Heated Seats not working
One fog light not working
Fan only works on high.
Not much heat.

My following posts will bring us up to the present and all the work I have done to it. Feel free to comment.

Oh yes right obligatory picture: (maybe not the best picture but its one I love. taken during my first camping trial with it)
IMG-20121007-00583.jpg

Morticon

Adventurer
First things First

I picked it up on a Friday(scooted out of work early and made the trek across Toronto to the otherside to get it) I got back to Burlington just in time to install some new tires. Well not new, but new the XJ. They were the stock tires that came on my 2008 JK when I bought it. The JK was my first vehicle ever and it is very basic. No AC nothing. Base of the base but I bought it for a steal.

Here is a picture of it new:

DSCN0729.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

I now find these stock pictures extremely embarassing.

Anyway the stock tiresfor the JK were 225/75R16 29.3". The stock tires on the XJ being 225/70R16 28.4". So the JK tires are about .9" taller then stock. Sweet! Found a local shop and got them installed. Instantly filled out the wheel wells A LOT better. The slight issue is because I have the upgraded speakers in the back mounted in the headliner. the tire JUST fits.

My plans are evntually for some 215/85R16 but I will have to sort out a tire mount when that comes. Maybe something from Detours USA http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php

I know my "new" tires arent aggressive, but hey they were free and the tires that were on there were no good. They will do for gravel roads and anything I hit with this rig.

Here they are mounted: With all my caming gear in the back seat and my dog(~60lb) in the rear cargo area, you can definitely notice the sag.

P1000912.jpg

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Very nice! I'm jealous - I miss my XJ like crazy and hope to find another one before too long (once my house is remodeled.. oh the joys of home ownership!) and would love one in that color. Can't wait to see your progress on it!

Morticon

Adventurer
So I havent really done much except general maintenance. Oil Changes, Flushed the coolant, I need to do the diffs and transfercase but I have ordered some Lube Lockers and want to get those in before I do anything so I can use them when I do the diffs.

I also bought a Cage to keep my dog in the back, which is really nice so hes not climbing all over me.

The biggest update is a lift. I have ordered the 2" OME lift through Northridge4x4. Should have it in a couple weeks, as it takes a bit coming from the states.

Pretty excited to get rid fo the sag and have a WAY better stance.

I went with the OME for the better load rating in the back for the times that I may need to tow. Also the ride is suppose to be spectacular. Another reason is because I have the NP242 there arent that many Slip Yoke Elimiators out there and the have a cheap ($50) spacer to lower the transfercase. I know a lot of people dont like this but as this wont be out rock crawling the lose height there is not a big issue. My choice of getting a lift isnt so much for a lift, but because a lot fo the components are old and worn out. For me to replace my rear leafs, front coils, and shocks all the way around with stock parts it would cost me just as much as the OME if not more.

Next on the to do list is:
Get the AC working. Im hoping it just needs to be re-charged. We will see.

Tow points.

I have a rear factory hitch (1 1/4") so it should do fine, I just need to get one of those shackle recievers for it.
Up front of course. No tow points. I dont understand why jeep does this. The front bumper has the holes for them though which is nice. As I have stated before I want this to be SuperStock, not crazy just different enough to make people take a second look:sombrero:

So there are two options. The Detours back bone:
http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php
Which may not be as "SuperStock" as I would like. Also I am not really sure I need a winch up front. Although it would be nice it is an added expense I dont see myself purchasing in the near future. I do like that they have light mounts though because that is something I will be adding.

The other option is stock tow points. Goodluck finding those in a junkyard. So new. Cant be too expensive right? WRONG. Because of the unibody its not just a simple hook you are buying there is a lot of bracketry to tie in properly. Looks like OMIX-ADA aka Rugged Ridge are the only suppliers I can find:
http://www.national4wdonline.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=176816&category_id=3165
And at 180 with tax that kinda hurts haha.

If there are any other options out there please let me know!

Last edited:

Morticon

Adventurer
Very nice! I'm jealous - I miss my XJ like crazy and hope to find another one before too long (once my house is remodeled.. oh the joys of home ownership!) and would love one in that color. Can't wait to see your progress on it!

Thanks! yes it is a very nice colour. Although I am not particularily fond of the chrome. But I have found a good donor at a local JY with all black grill and rear light cover for the tail gate. I will go back when warmer and get them.. Give them a fresh coat of paint and install.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Thanks! yes it is a very nice colour. Although I am not particularily fond of the chrome. But I have found a good donor at a local JY with all black grill and rear light cover for the tail gate. I will go back when warmer and get them.. Give them a fresh coat of paint and install.

I bet it is cold up there! I manage some of my company's locations in the NE United States and eastern Canada. We have a location in Kitchener which I believe is near you in Waterloo, we always end up discussing the weather up there and it is always way colder than down here!

Morticon

Adventurer
I bet it is cold up there! I manage some of my company's locations in the NE United States and eastern Canada. We have a location in Kitchener which I believe is near you in Waterloo, we always end up discussing the weather up there and it is always way colder than down here!

Yes, Kitchener and Waterloo are virtually the same town. Known locally as the KW. Temperatures are rather cold. We are suppose to get -10ish C on Monday and Tuesday. Which is about 14 F. But I cant really complain Sudbury had -24C(-11F) and Winnipeg has been experiencing -35C (-31) for almost a week now

Morticon

Adventurer
Look what showed up today.

Santa came by dressed in brown today....and by coincidence it's my birthday! Getting installed sat the 16th.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics

image_zps495c21f6.jpg

image_zps55314f10.jpg

image_zpsa926a09e.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Great looking Cherokee, and I'm excited to see pics with the new suspension! I also love the Chrome. That was the only model year it had the chrome, so fairly rare. If it were mine, I'd keep it for uniqueness. :)

Morticon

Adventurer
Great looking Cherokee, and I'm excited to see pics with the new suspension! I also love the Chrome. That was the only model year it had the chrome, so fairly rare. If it were mine, I'd keep it for uniqueness. :)

Thanks!

Yes so am I. especially since I am going from below stock height to a 2" lift I am sure it will make quite the difference!

I did not know that about the chrome grill, kinda neat. But I am still leaning towards finding a red or black grill.

deniz merdano

Which OME spring pack did you go with?
Light-med or heavy duty 2"?
I am leaning towards med or heavy for my lift as i will be loading the car up for my overlanding trips.

Morticon

Adventurer
Which OME spring pack did you go with?
Light-med or heavy duty 2"?
I am leaning towards med or heavy for my lift as i will be loading the car up for my overlanding trips.

I went with the medium duty. I usually have the bottom part of the front seat folded forward with my recovery gear there full time. I'm I'm hitting the trails I'm usually pretty loaded down with camping gear and a 70lb dog in the cargo area. As well ill usually have my bike rack with 2 bikes on it so it adds up. Unless you've got a rear bumper and other stuff out back all the time I wouldn't go with the heAvy duty, I think it would be to stiff. Depending on how long until you buy ill be able to give you my opinion of the med duty.

Morticon

Adventurer
Nice XJ. The tow hook brackets you posted are quite pricey! Check these out, third item down http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

I have their rear bumper on my XJ and it's stout.

Hey thanks for the advice, those at a bit cheaper, not sure if they are cheap enough to offset the price of shipping from Oklahoma to Toronto though. I called the supplier they corrected me and told me the website was wrong and it was actually 109.99 still not cheap but we will see how my pocket feels after I pay of the lift and a few other fixes(new thermostat and new rear lift gate shocks)

I'm getting excited this time next week the lift should be installed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles