Most stuck ambulance pics & do you really need 4x4?

iggi

Ian
Bad decisions lead to good stories right?

I made a poor choice in a campsite location based on weather and my state of preparedness.
Bad time to discover that I don't have a front tow point AND that I forgot my bag of straps and shackles.

I've been debating over whether a 4x4 conversion is worth it on a van based ambulance and despite getting stuck, I'm more convinced than before that I don't need it for the places I go. (forestry roads, etc)
I drove over way rougher stuff than I ever expected to and believe a set of tire chains would have easily allowed me to keep motoring through the slick mud I got stuck in.
So here's a few pics of the stuck and I'll post up some video later.

Let's see your best stuck or roughest road photos in your ambulance or box truck and show me why or why not a 4x4 conversion was worth it for you.

IMG_2966.jpgIMG_2969.jpgIMG_2970.jpg

billiebob

I'm thinking even 4WD would not have helped there.

But beyond getting stuck I like 4WD so I can tread lightly and crawl. 2WD will get you most places but you will need more momentum, speed, which can break things. Today AWD, 4WD is common and most people cannot live without it. But 40 years ago 4WD was the thing for construction pickups exclusively. And people knew how to drive without getting stuck. Generally, if you get stuck with 2WD it takes little effort to unstuck. If you get stuck with 4WD you'll need a winch.

I'd mount a winch on that ambulance before doing a 4WD conversion.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Traction boards, hand winch, electric winch, recovery gear and friends.....these are all cheap ways to avoid a 4wd conversion.
I do agree that often 4wd just means you will get more stuck farther away from help :)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I agree four wheel drive would not have helped in that situation. That truck looks high centered. I agree recovery boards, winch etc would be necessary .

What tires are you running? How did you get out ?

My 4x4 ambo is for me, a help get though snow, wet grass, steep inclines (low range). Not mudding or rock climbing, I tow something for that;)

iggi

Ian
My 4x4 ambo is for me, a help get though snow, wet grass, steep inclines (low range). Not mudding or rock climbing, I tow something for that;)

Curious: Did you try just chains before the conversion? Wet grass and such can be a real bugger.

iggi

Ian
I think 4x4 would have helped keep me from sliding into the rut. Just more a value question of, is it worth it for me?
Wasn't high centred at all. but the big ass was working like a dozer blade in digging up the mud and at one point the driver side rear tires were almost off the ground with the bumper taking the weight.
Stock 225/75R16 tires. Still running the winters that it came with.

I was friendly with some other campers before I got stuck and one had a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chev. It took same faffing around as I'd forgotten my straps and shackles. Ended up having to sacrifice one of my climbing ropes.

I agree four wheel drive would not have helped in that situation. That truck looks high centered. I agree recovery boards, winch etc would be necessary .

What tires are you running? How did you get out ?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
4x4 is always helpful and it would give you some more ground clearance. Running other than street tires like A/T's can't hurt either.

Good thing you found someone to get you out. Could have been an expensive tow.

iggi

Ian
4x4 is always helpful and it would give you some more ground clearance. Running other than street tires like A/T's can't hurt either.

Good thing you found someone to get you out. Could have been an expensive tow.
I figure about $3,500-4,000 if I'd had to get a tow company to pull me out. Was pretty remote.

billiebob

I think 4x4 would have helped keep me from sliding into the rut.
old but no. the wheels that slid were the driven rear axle wheels. 4WD would have spun the front axle and put the whole vehicle in the ditch.
hence my philosophy.... if you get stuck with 2WD.... you'll get royally stuck with 4WD.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Who needs a muddy trail!? I got stuck in the dirt parking lot of a skilled nursing facility we were dropping off at. I used my backboards at traction mats and a wild foot to the floor maneuver to get me out and back on pavement. I would have paid couple grand to not call the supervisor if the backboards hadn’t worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hahaha! My point of highest glory was getting a service truck (F450? Maybe 550? It was a few decades back) stuck in the middle of a wet clay road through a dip in one of the mines I worked in. It was less than 1” deep, probably closer to 3/8, but it was the most slippery surface I’ve ever been on. It simply wouldn’t move at all, the slightest release of the clutch just spun and spun the wheels.

D-10 Dozer pushed it out okay though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior