Motorcycle advice

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Took a class that my wife bought me and I loved riding! Got my permit and am ready to start looking. I will get my license when I take another safety class and get more seat time. As much as I want to get a cruiser my mind does wander to the dual sport class. Love my Jeep but 10 mpg kills the want to with longer trips that might involve off pavement driving. So I am here for advice, is there a dual sport bike for me?

Stats: 6'5", 250 lbs, mountain biker (got the balance), drive a stick shift (understand the clutch). Price range under $6k, prefer under $5k.

I want a bike I can enjoy and ride to and from work every day. I also want a bike I can put some miles on the hwy... like cross country style trips with gear and sometimes the wife on shorter trips (125 lbs). Is there a dual sport for me out there? Most of the ones I see seem smaller and look more like a dirt bike, less like a street worthy bike not up to carrying 250-375 lbs worth of riders and some gear (if the wife is along we will be hotels, no camping gear).

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If you are wanting your first bike to carry you down the highway with a load (more than a few miles here and there), I'd point you towards a minimum 650cc. The smaller bikes just don't have the power and aren't any fun at highway speeds (unless you are referring to state highways ~55mph).

Some people will swear up and down that no new rider should be on a 650cc bike - but I'm living proof that it works. You have to be cognizant of the power, but it's all manageable if you keep your head on strait (don't let the testosterone take over!). If you are uncomfortable with that, buy a smaller (250cc) bike, ride it for a few months, then sell it and buy something bigger that will support your longer trips. Motorcycles aren't like cars - we buy and sell them at the drop of a hat (anyone want to buy a Husaberg????).

$4K is a reasonable budget . . . the place to start is craigs list, or get together with a local dual sport club (check the regional forums section of ADV Rider). If you're looking for more of a street oriented dual sport, look toward the BMW GS, V-Strom, KLR, etc. If you want more of a 'dirt' bike, move towards the DR (the DR is still street biased - but is moving towards the dirt oriented bikes), and on into the Husky, KTM, etc.

If you're mechanically inclined, don't shy away from older bikes. I have a couple early '80s hondas that I picked up for a couple hundred bucks each. After throwing a bit of elbow grease and a few more dollars at them, each is road worthy for less than a grand (new tires, chains, fresh carbs, etc).

Also - don't be afraid to take a 'street' bike on a dirt road. They do fine on maintained forest roads. Sure, you're not going to be drifting through corners with them, but they'll get you down any road that a 2wd car will get down.

Quill

Adventurer
Don't forget in the old days a 350 was a big bike and they rode across country and on interstates with high speeds. You are going to go super fast but you can get there. As mentioned a street bike will go a lot of places.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I have heard the less than 650cc rule and i have heard for my size get over a 1000cc (cruiser wise) for my size and what I want to do with the bike. How are the 650's going to do with the weight I plan to carry? I found this review on a quick google and he says he would ride 2 up but 1 up is great http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/DL6502.html

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm no lightweight, hovering around 200#. With 35 pounds of gear + myself, my BMW 650GS did *OK* on the freeway, as long as I stayed out of the fast lane. It would run down the road at 90+, but it had to work pretty hard to keep moving that fast - and there was nothing left if I wanted to get away from anyone. It was much happier at 70 - 75mph. At 50 - 55hp (I forget what exactly the rating was), it was one of the more powerful 650cc dual sport bikes around.

In all honesty, it did fine everywhere *except* on the freeway (for me & my riding style). If you were to travel at lower speeds (sub-75mph), 650s would get the job done. My concern with less than 80+mph speeds on the freeways has to do with the speed of the traffic around you. If you are moving slower than traffic - all the danger is behind you, and gaining. It's not a feeling I like. I prefer to move slightly faster than traffic (when traffic & weather conditions allow), so I prefer my bikes (at least the bikes I ride on the freeway) to be capable of moving faster than the average driver does (around here, that means 80+ on the freeway).

trasko

Adventurer
"We buy and sell them at a the drop of a hat" -- haha that is great. It's pretty true, though. In my experience people can go through bikes pretty quick. It's fun to try different ones and they aren't nearly as expensive as cars to buy, maintain, insure, etc.

Just grab something and have fun with it. I've had a KLR650 for 4 years now and that sounds about right for you. It can do everything you mentioned -- it just won't be the best at any one thing. Nothing will, though. Dirt vs. freeway and solo vs. pillion are about as different as you can get. Get something, ride it for a year and then try something else!

You'll find that there are all sorts of different folks in the moto crowd, too. Plenty of folks who'd tell you you "need" 1000+cc (which is insane) and other folks who take 150 and 200cc bikes around the world.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Ok Bigjerm,

After reading your post and all of the reply's I've got a slightly different suggestion for you.

If I were you (and were very close in size I'm 6'1" 265) given the price range you've listed I'd look at a smaller dirt oriented bike. Now hold on and let me explain why.

I say get a smaller dirt bike for less money, I got my DRZ400 for $2900 with only 1800 miles on it, its a 2006. The thing is an absolute blast to ride on the dirt and the street. Granted long highway jaunts are not it's fort-ay, but on the street around town it more fun than should be allowed, and off-road I've had it on some really rough trails and it never misses a beat or fails to haul my rather large but up and over any obstacle. So, I say buy used and small and build your skills. As a mountain biker you'll build your skills fast, especially off-road. Heck you might even get your wife to give it a go.

Now for part two.

After you've ripped around on your smaller bike and are comfortable sharing the road with cager's. Take the rest of your money and look for a slightly used KLR, V-strom or my new favorite the Versys. Or whatever you like. I know you can find a good used smaller dirt bike style dual sport for less than $3K and then save up a little extra and put it with the $2K-3K you have left over and find a used bigger bike a bit later. One that can roll up and down the interstate with ease. Trying to find a bike that will do it all is fine, just know that it will not be great at anything, just decent at most things.

Oh and cruisers are bad, stay away from them. Before you know it you'll be wrapped up in all kinds of black leather H-D gear, with barbed wire and tribal tatoo's and be to cool to wave to other bikers. Just kidding. :D

Whatever you decide, get yourself a bike and get out and ride, you won't be sorry. There all kinds of fun. And remember All The Gear All The Time! It's not a matter of if you'll go down, but when. Be safe and have fun. :bike_rider:

sandalscout

Adventurer
I like Capt Sport's idea a lot. My wife doesn't ride, so I don't have the 2-up issue, but I like riding mild dirt locally with some guys, but another friend and I are planning some longer road trips, and a V-Strom sure is seeming like the way to go for my second bike.

I can ride my 250 locally with that crowd, ride the V-Strom anywhere else I want (including my favorite FS roads) and trailer the 250 when I take the wife to the mountains and have a small bike to throw around the twisties out there. Seems like the best all around choices.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I am looking more at the 650's now. Most of my 2up riding as said would either be local so no gear with some highway and any length trips would be highway to see family or such for a weekend with a 6-8 hour ride but these would be maybe 1 time a year.

The thought of buying and selling worries me but thats because I am use to the Auto market where your new purchase is worth less the next day unless you got a smoking deal. Another idea I have found popular among co-workers who ride is 2 bikes. Example, 1 of my friends bought a smaller street bike, GSXR, years ago and now that its all paid for and he has ridden a while, layed it down a few and all that good stuff he wants a cruiser. So now he has a bike for the speed and turns and will have his cruiser for travel and leisure when his wife wants to go.

scarysharkface

Explorer
No need to ever buy a new bike. Lots of gently used ones floating around, and they've already been depreciated.

KLR650 or V-Strom 650 are both great, great bikes that you can find good deals on frequently. Cheap to operate and maintain, enough power for the interstate imho and will both do 2-up when called for.

You'll figure out what you really want or need after spending some time in the saddle.

John

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The thought of buying and selling worries me but thats because I am use to the Auto market where your new purchase is worth less the next day unless you got a smoking deal.

You will likely lose a bit in depreciation - but look at the numbers we're talking about. Losing 10% on a $2000 motorcycle is nothing like losing 10% on a $20,000 car/truck/van.

Another idea I have found popular among co-workers who ride is 2 bikes.

I used to think that having two bikes was a good idea (it's not). I'm up to 5, and still looking for a touring bike (maybe a 1300GT?), and a track bike, and an airhead, and a . . .

trailsurfer

Explorer
I am 6'2" and 200lbs and took my Moto Safety Course about 3 years ago. I bought a BMW 650 GS right after I finished my class and within a week I had purchased a BMW 1200 GS. I honestly felt like the 1200 was easier for me to ride.

I have 2 bikes, down from 4. A BMW 1200 GSA and a KTM 530 EXC. I think that 2 is the right number for me. :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94