Motorcycle or not on a MB 1120

Grenadiers

Adventurer
The older you get, balancing on a motorcycle in the dirt for example, with a wife on board, well, that image didn’t sit well for us! Our bikes have a advertised range of 50 miles. But, setting the pedal assist lower, say on tailwind flat areas, you can extend that range.

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
I have a small one with fold down handle bars that I winch up into the 'garage' under our bed. I didn't want it on the outside where people can see it and it would get full of dust. It takes 2 people and I swapped the original 50cc engine to a 140cc to make it more usable.

Jonturgeon

Observer
Looks to be a nice setup. Like the compactness of that bike and being able to store it inside. Given the taste in America for large displacement engines it is a bit hard to find a small displacement steet legal bike that can handle some mild offroad stuff. I ended up finding a 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa (250cc). It will need to go on the back of the truck but I will get a cover for it to try and protect it from the worst of the dirt. When I was a teen we had a Kawasaki 100cc on/off street legal bike. Would have been perfect but this was as close as I could get.

pairospam

Observer
Hi:

Just to add another humble opinion for an interesting open question.

If you really like bikes and enjoy riding them, well... carry one and use it everytime you want or need. If you are not a liker... then don't.

Which bike? Whatever you like. Be sure to build/buy a nice and tough rack to hold it.

I have not made a single mile on my expedition truck yet (damn!) but I ride bikes on a daily basis. Love it. I cannot think of going anywhere without one hanging on the back of the truck, no matter if it takes one hour extra to go through customs.

Every overlander has his own opinion and experiences. Each one is valid. You should try your own hunch.

Greetings.

An early design of the bike/tire rack.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi:

Just to add another humble opinion for an interesting open question.

If you really like bikes and enjoy riding them, well... carry one and use it everytime you want or need. If you are not a liker... then don't.

Which bike? Whatever you like. Be sure to build/buy a nice and tough rack to hold it.

I have not made a single mile on my expedition truck yet (damn!) but I ride bikes on a daily basis. Love it. I cannot think of going anywhere without one hanging on the back of the truck, no matter if it takes one hour extra to go through customs.

Every overlander has his own opinion and experiences. Each one is valid. You should try your own hunch.

Greetings.

View attachment 505966

An early design of the bike/tire rack.

Hoping/waiting on a build update too!!! ;)