Mountain bikes with rooftop tent

motas

Adventurer
Hey guys just picked up a hard shell rooftop tent on eBay for my Triton (dual cab ute). Nearly finished mounting it above the tub but unfortunately it overlaps the cabs roof a bit so I don't think my thule racks will fit anymore, although I could be very lucky. But I don't like them that much anyway.

So does anyone else have a solution to having bikes with a rooftop tent on the roof? I need something versatile though I do a lot of club trips so have a whole lot of different bikes up there. Thule style with the frame clamp works well for a lot but not all. Fork mount style works well for a lot but not for my bike. Happy to build one though.

Thanks!

motas

Adventurer
The tub on these utes already stick out a lot, I've already had someone else run the bikes into the ground when using a hitch rack on it.

Box Rocket

This isn't on the roof of a truck but the same principle should still work. I have some Thule bars that extend out farther than the tent so I can carry my bike next to the closed tent. Obviously the Tent opens to the opposite side so the bike really is never in the way.

c_mack9

Adventurer
I have a Tacoma and I have mine currently setup like that, getting ready for a trip. I just have the tent offset to the passenger side, the bike on the driver's side so I can use the through axle fork mount. I mounted a Kuat Dirtbag fork mount to the bed rail in the truck so I can slide it around wherever I want it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The tub on these utes already stick out a lot, I've already had someone else run the bikes into the ground when using a hitch rack on it.

I'm having trouble understanding your response. How is the roof-mounted tent interfering with bikes on a hitch mount? They shouldn't be coming anywhere close to each other? I'm refering to a 'normal' hitch rack where the bikes sit horizontally against the tailgate. Are you by chance talking about some sort of vertical arrangement?

There are a great variety of hitch rack designs, holding the bikes at many different heights and angles. Some support the bike from below, too. Surely there are several that will work in conjunction with the roof tent.

169675d1257715493-hitch-bike-rack-glk-img_1568-1.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For long trips on dirt the hitch racks typically end up not being an ideal set up given the bikes get coated in dirt in a really bad way and depending on the nature of the trip the hitch mount may end up making contact with the ground in rough trail conditions. Granted low hanging trees can wipe out a roof mounted bike also. Each approach has a negative so you just pick the best set up for your needs. The best approach is probably fork mount in the bed of a pickup with a cap on the bed and the RTT on the top. Bike is kept clean and clear of trees etc.

motas

Adventurer
Sorry didnt explain that very well. My car has a pretty bad departure angle, hitch racks tend to hit the ground.

You gave me an idea though I might just be able to mount a hitch style rack behind the rooftop tent but just above the tailgate. SHould keep it high up from the ground but not so high as hitting trees. Might even be able to put two on the roof still and have 4 bikes, a rooftop tent and the whole tub still empty!

Unfortunately I think my tent is too wide to get a bike beside it. But will look into that as well could be a good way to get two on the roof. Might even be able to mount them on an angle so the handlebars arent sticking over the edge of the roof heaps and the rear wheels just sit beside the front of the tent.

Nice trailer setup though looks good.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sorry didnt explain that very well. My car has a pretty bad departure angle, hitch racks tend to hit the ground.

You gave me an idea though I might just be able to mount a hitch style rack behind the rooftop tent but just above the tailgate. SHould keep it high up from the ground but not so high as hitting trees. Might even be able to put two on the roof still and have 4 bikes, a rooftop tent and the whole tub still empty!

Unfortunately I think my tent is too wide to get a bike beside it. But will look into that as well could be a good way to get two on the roof. Might even be able to mount them on an angle so the handlebars arent sticking over the edge of the roof heaps and the rear wheels just sit beside the front of the tent.

Nice trailer setup though looks good.

The better idea would be a fixed bar that sits across the front of the rack and sticks up higher than the RTT with a fork clamp no tray. Then put a wear patch on the RTT cover where the bikes rear tires rest and rig a simple strap to keep the rear of the bike from moving. When you arrive at your location you pop the bikes off flip the rtt open and your made. The fixed bar sticking up across the front of the RTT stays put with the fork clamps no need to move it given the RTT opens to the side etc. The idea comes from what I've see guys rig so they can toss a canoe over the top of the RTT when in road mode. With this approach you could have 2-3 bikes ontop of the RTT easily. Though given the performance hit my Subaru takes with two MT bikes on fork mounts at highway speeds its not going to be the most economic approach regarding fuel burn at highway speeds. The typical RTT is probably a 4-5mpg hit to your typical Subaru like car wagon due to its wind profile. The hard topped sleeker RTT's no doubt are more like a roof box which case my roof box is rarely more than a 2-3mpg hit in big head winds and highway speeds. The bikes on the other hand have been a 5mpg hit at highway speeds even more with big head winds. They are really draggy up there on the lid. But I like them up top on road trips keeps them safe and easier to watch during pit stops from across the parking lot etc.

Last edited:

motas

Adventurer
The RTT I have is a fiberglass hard shell style one, unfortunately the rear tyres wouldnt sit on it nicely as its smooth and curved. I have thought of fiberglassing a tray thing onto it but would like to avoid it. But i could make a little moveable tray if i have to but i like the idea of it being beside.

I am not setting it up to do long expedition style trips plus i dont pay for fuel on most of the trips with bikes so not too worried about the fuel economy. Plus with a little turbo diesel motor and already a pretty unaerodynamic shape I dont think the hit will be so bad.

The other problem I have is my bike and my brothers wont work with a fork clamp as they have a different style fork where the whole axle comes out. Absolute pain but why I want a solution thats really versatile because i carry every different type of bike possible.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We use this stuff on our race sails tough as nails sticks on for life. We put it in high wear spots on race sails that typically cost considerable money like three or four RTT's LOL - If you were able to sort out a way to fork mount the bikes across the front of the RTT to the rack not the RTT its self then rest the bike tires on the RTT which has a patch of this stuff on it http://www.sailrite.com/Insignia-Adhesive-Backed-UV-Dacron-18 - I doubt you would have much of an issue unless the hard shell of the RTT is pretty flimsy and could crack from the weight of the rear tires sitting on the lid etc. I still think this is the best approach with the most possible options though you'll need to research the fork mounting options that could be mounted to a bar across the front of the RTT thats mounted to the rack its self. The RTT hard shell could also in theory have a plate bonded to it which has simple mounts for a short section of tray with a typical tire strap to help spread the weight of the bikes and serve as the strap to keep the rear of the bikes parallel with the car etc.

I think side mounting with the hard topped RTT makes the whole rig just too wide unless you have a really narrow RTT.

motas

Adventurer
Rooftop tent.jpg
For reference heres the tent mounted.
Unfortunately I had a look and no room beside the tent. Might have to bite the bullet and bond a wheel mount to the roof of the tent.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ok just had a thought it might work. Picture a standard roof rack bike tray mounted on a cross bar just in front of the RTT and high enough to allow the tray to rest over the top of the RTT. The tail end of the tray sitting on a mount bonded to the RTT which allows the tray to slide forward and backward with a little give to it allowing the RTT lid to pivot up and open having the tray pivot up with it. Guessing your RTT is hinged at the front end and right? So more or less your Tray's pivot up with the RTT top. But when its closed the trays are horizontal and the trailing ends of the Trays are held in position by a simple bracket that they were slipped onto thats bonded to the RTT lid? The front end of the bike tray is not mounted to the RTT but to a bar that runs across the front edge of it that is mounted to the roof rack the RTT sits on. So most of the levered load etc is on the front cross bar the tray is attached too and the bracket bonded to the RTT lid is just there to keep them from sliding left or right etc.

motas

Adventurer
No my rooftop tent goes straight up.

Was thinking maybe making a tray that sits over the top of the tent but slides forward out of the way. But itd be a bit heavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior