Mounting Large RTT on short bed Tacoma

Patriot

Observer
Hello, I’ve searched the threads and not been able to find what I’m looking for for my particular situation.
I’m trying to figure out how to mount a large RTT on my short bed Tacoma, presumably I will need a bed rack that goes over the cab, to accommodate a larger tent such as the free spirit high country 80” tri-layer (anybody have experience with this one?).
I’m looking for options of a bed rack that will extend over the cab (dissent off-road was about the only one I could find) as well as any ideas or photos that you may have. In the ideal situation I would like to leave it with a mid height bed rack so that it can all be flush with the cab height, but I can’t figure out how to do that with a tent that would be big enough for our family of 4. Also minor detail but I’m assuming I would need to relocate the sat. radio antenna on the top of the cab?
Thanks!!

Lionix1

Hello, I’ve searched the threads and not been able to find what I’m looking for for my particular situation.
I’m trying to figure out how to mount a large RTT on my short bed Tacoma, presumably I will need a bed rack that goes over the cab, to accommodate a larger tent such as the free spirit high country 80” tri-layer (anybody have experience with this one?).
I’m looking for options of a bed rack that will extend over the cab (dissent off-road was about the only one I could find) as well as any ideas or photos that you may have. In the ideal situation I would like to leave it with a mid height bed rack so that it can all be flush with the cab height, but I can’t figure out how to do that with a tent that would be big enough for our family of 4. Also minor detail but I’m assuming I would need to relocate the sat. radio antenna on the top of the cab?
Thanks!!

I have a Tepui Autana 4 on a custom rack. 5 1/2 foot bed on my Tundra. Moved all the way forward until its 2 -3 inches from the cab and it sits flush with the tailgate. Not sure if you are ok with it hanging off the back, but it would work with a standard bed rack, you would have about 10-12 inches past your tailgate.

Here is a picture. The awning is 79" I believe. So you might want to consider an over the cab option if you don't want it hanging out.
1b4a178ef15cd32968b6fee29937ce9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

towee

Off the shelf Leitner designs rack is what you are looking for but pricey. I'm sure all pro or cbi can make one to cab height or others. After having a steel bed rack on my tacoma for a year I will stick with strictly aluminum from now on weight and rust is an issue with steel. You will likely need to move your sat antenna my alu cab tent covers it but is high enough to where I didn't have to remove but it works spotty at best I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. If you decide to go the topper route I love my alu cab canopy on my shortbed tacoma.

As far as tents go I hated dealing with a cover when I had a soft tent below cab height on a rack but I really would have hated it mounted higher but that's just my opinion. If it was me and I needed a big tent at cab height on a rack I would go leitner rack and ikamper tent unfortunately both are the most expensive options.

towee

And weight will be an issue that will probably have to addressed when you throw a big tent up there and load up the bed so factor that in.

Lionix1

And weight will be an issue that will probably have to addressed when you throw a big tent up there and load up the bed so factor that in.
Exactly why I went with and aluminum rack.

Patriot

Observer

Thanks for the input! I was thinking Alum. would be the way to go, thanks for confirming that. Having never used a RTT I'm sure how I'll about the cover, etc.... But I'm struggling to find another option in the size I want.

Patriot

Observer
I have a Tepui Autana 4 on a custom rack. 5 1/2 foot bed on my Tundra. Moved all the way forward until its 2 -3 inches from the cab and it sits flush with the tailgate. Not sure if you are ok with it hanging off the back, but it would work with a standard bed rack, you would have about 10-12 inches past your tailgate.

Here is a picture. The awning is 79" I believe. So you might want to consider an over the cab option if you don't want it hanging out.
1b4a178ef15cd32968b6fee29937ce9c.jpg

Thank you, I'm considering centering it on the bed, then it would be 10" over the cab & 10" hanging off the back...

Lionix1

Thanks for the input! I was thinking Alum. would be the way to go, thanks for confirming that. Having never used a RTT I'm sure how I'll about the cover, etc.... But I'm struggling to find another option in the size I want.
My Autana is a 4 person. Fits the family well. I have it a bit easy with the cover, I can stand on the sliders, and lower the back window to unzip the tent.

Patriot

Observer
Off the shelf Leitner designs rack is what you are looking for but pricey. I'm sure all pro or cbi can make one to cab height or others. After having a steel bed rack on my tacoma for a year I will stick with strictly aluminum from now on weight and rust is an issue with steel. You will likely need to move your sat antenna my alu cab tent covers it but is high enough to where I didn't have to remove but it works spotty at best I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. If you decide to go the topper route I love my alu cab canopy on my shortbed tacoma.

As far as tents go I hated dealing with a cover when I had a soft tent below cab height on a rack but I really would have hated it mounted higher but that's just my opinion. If it was me and I needed a big tent at cab height on a rack I would go leitner rack and ikamper tent unfortunately both are the most expensive options.

Thank you, I like those Leitner designs rack, I hadn't seen them before!

Patriot

Observer
My Autana is a 4 person. Fits the family well. I have it a bit easy with the cover, I can stand on the sliders, and lower the back window to unzip the tent.

Do you think it would work if hanging off the back 12"?

aclauver

I dont do any overlanding, just vehicle camping, and recently got the fsr manual 55 which has the same foot print you are talking about. It goes over the cab a little and towards the rear. I have an awning on the other side but wasn't mounted at the time of this picture. Its actually quite nice covering the entire truck bed, kept it dry in light rain

Attachments

• Resized_20181214_090124_7304.jpeg
    Resized_20181214_090124_7304.jpeg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior