Mounting Roof Rack to Camper Shell

Hi, I just bought a used Snugtop camper shell for my 1989 toyota pickup, I would like to mount a roof rack to carry cargo while on camping trips so I will be able to sleep inside the shell. I would like to mount a rack such as a yakima or thule rack but im also considering a custom rack. My question is how should I go about mounting the rack to the shell? I want the rack to be structurally sound and the shell needs to stay weatherproof.

Thanks for your help,
Tyler

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
How you mount the roof rack system depends on the kind of loads you want to carry.

Most fiberglass camper shells have a reinforced roof with multiple layers of material to stiffen the roof and carry loads. You should contact the manufacturer and inquire as to loading limits for your model shell.

Probably the best roof mount, short of an exterior rack system attached to the bed rails, is a 'track' system. This is what most camper manufacturers supply. It is mounted directly on the roof of the camper and spreads weight while allowing front to rear adjustment of the cross bars. They can carry quite a bit of weight.

I just ordered a new ARE cab-high shell for my Ford F350 SD. I will install a Thule track system and fit a Maggiolina RTT on top of the shell. Many of our customers have done this without any problems. So I would expect that you could put a fair amount of weight up there. Again, check with the manufacturer.

Mike S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier