Mounting RTT on roof solo

AlumniCU

Have an ARB Simpson III that I need to be able to mount solo on a 4Runner, and can't do it in the garage. Show me your slides and contraptions to get it up! Thx!
518ca0d8e8abef129f582b8873c97031.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have used an extension ladder for solo, my mother in law, and a forklift.

The friends plan always works best.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I might have to try mounting the RTT myself soon. My rig is taller than average, and since I'm a bit taller than average that works. The problem is I can never find a helper tall as me and one end usually comes up short. Even though the RTT isn't stupid heavy at a normal height, stick it over your head and it becomes a lot to try and control fast.

Right now the idea in my mind involves using my recovery rigging, and some nearby trees to make a temporary hoist. Pull it up and tie it off, drive under, then lower it down. Even in that operation a helper will be useful, but nobody has to do any lifting in overextended or plain awkward positions.

I might get to try it this weekend.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
There was a similar thread a while back. I had the same issue and I had made an interesting concept that attaches to the roof rack on the X and I can lift and slide it over, it wasn't pretty and used it once before going to a trailer. However someone else had a very similar idea that was way better executed. I wonder if we can find the thread..

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Right now the idea in my mind involves using my recovery rigging, and some nearby trees to make a temporary hoist. Pull it up and tie it off, drive under, then lower it down. Even in that operation a helper will be useful, but nobody has to do any lifting in overextended or plain awkward positions.

This is how I do it if I need to mount it by myself on my land cruiser. I have a pictures of it somewhere, but it's pretty self explanatory. Snatch block, small harbor freight 2000lb winch anchored the reciever hitch of another car, and a big tree. I'm lucky enough to have a tree in the backyard that's at the right height and already has a few ropes tied to the limb for a swing. Otherwise you'd have to climb up and tie an attachment point everytime, and it has to be pretty high. At least a few feet higher than the top of the mounted tent when you take into account space for the pulley and rigging slack.

I modified my tent with mounting channels that extend past the tent and attach directly to gutter mounts, so the whole thing comes off in one piece. So taking it off is easy, but putting it on requires some maneuvering of the car to get the tent close enough to swing into place. If I use the stock mounting channels it's easy enough to rest it on the cross bars and slide in place. I've also done it without the hoist system using a couple of ladders and 4x4's to make a giant ramp, and even an engine lift, but the winch system is probably the safest and easiest.

When I mount it on shorter cars like my minivan or subaru, it's quicker for me to rest some moving blankets on the rear hatch, stand the tent up vertically on the bumper, then lift and slide it into place. You still gotta wrestle with it a bit, but as long as you don't have the XL versions it's doable.

Edit:Found a pic of the setup

Attachments

• 20150829_164802.jpg
    20150829_164802.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

SGNellett

Adventurer
This is how I do it if I need to mount it by myself on my land cruiser. I have a pictures of it somewhere, but it's pretty self explanatory. Snatch block, small harbor freight 2000lb winch anchored the reciever hitch of another car, and a big tree. I'm lucky enough to have a tree in the backyard that's at the right height and already has a few ropes tied to the limb for a swing. Otherwise you'd have to climb up and tie an attachment point everytime, and it has to be pretty high. At least a few feet higher than the top of the mounted tent when you take into account space for the pulley and rigging slack.

I modified my tent with mounting channels that extend past the tent and attach directly to gutter mounts, so the whole thing comes off in one piece. So taking it off is easy, but putting it on requires some maneuvering of the car to get the tent close enough to swing into place. If I use the stock mounting channels it's easy enough to rest it on the cross bars and slide in place. I've also done it without the hoist system using a couple of ladders and 4x4's to make a giant ramp, and even an engine lift, but the winch system is probably the safest and easiest.

When I mount it on shorter cars like my minivan or subaru, it's quicker for me to rest some moving blankets on the rear hatch, stand the tent up vertically on the bumper, then lift and slide it into place. You still gotta wrestle with it a bit, but as long as you don't have the XL versions it's doable.

Edit:Found a pic of the setup

Nice DJ...

RPS

I've seen a picture of a receiver hitch mounted hoist. Chain fall mounted on the end, pivot in the middle of the upright to swing it around for roof or ground access.

kdeleon

Observer
Look up in youtube, land cruiser with ARB RTT fabed a hoist (sawhorse). I pretty much did the same. Used a bunch of carriage bolts so i can dismantle and stow it. I'll use it this weekend so i can take some pics.

found the vid
https://youtu.be/Ftte72pkuJ8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94