Moving to Puerto Rico...which jeep to keep

wanabxtrm

Observer
...so I just found out I'll be moving to Puerto Rico (USCG) and figure only one car is needed on an island. So the question becomes which jeep to keep the 08 JKUR or the 08 WK CRD. JK's paid off and we just bought the WK this past summer (2 kids). I'm thinking sun/sand=JK but if I sell that I'll end up cash positive, and hopefully the 2016/17 will have a a diesel when we get back to the states.

Anyway I always find some pretty good points on here from everyone so I thought I'd bring it up.

Plan C is sell both and buy a cheap used XJ, Subaru or Toyota. (which is ironic as I recently sold my XJ after buying the WK to a guy who now lives down there).

Anyway, cheers,

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'd be thinking what's the Jeep situation like in Puerto Rico?
Are there dealers?
Did they ever get the diesel WK?
What's the price of gas/diesel?
Can you just take your US-plated Jeep there and drive it around? Do you need different registration/insurance?
How much is it going to cost to get it there/back?

Might just be easier to pick something up when you get there - from the sounds of it, you won't be there long anyway.

-Dan

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Does your JKUR have a hard top? It rains a whole lot down in that part of the world....Might be wiser to bring the WK..

Grecy brings up a good point...Id look into dealers or mechanics that are qualified to work on one.

Thanks for serving and have a blast. PR is awesome.

joneseyyy

Explorer
I lived in St. Thomas for 18 months and spent a fair bit of time in PR. There are Jeep dealers and JKs are super common. Hell, even St. Thomas had a Jeep dealer and parts were easy to find (I had a TJ at the time).

NMBruce

Adventurer
which one do you like less? San Juan drives are some of the worst I have ever seen. Had a ex-wife cousin lived there (USCG) and they had an old Chevy Malibu and it had dings all over it.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
How many times in this life are you going to live on an island in that beautiful climate? Sell the GC. Get a soft top, and or a safari top for the JK and live the jeep life in the tropics, baby...

Once in a lifetime, do it right and have fun...:wings: Skip the practical side of things and enjoy. Spend some money on a boat cause your kids are going to love that water (when I was there visibility was clear as a bell out to 80+feet)

John

wanabxtrm

Observer
We'll after much discussion with friends, we're taking the obvious choice (the JKUR). So if anyone on here is interested, or knows someone who is well be selling our 08 WK CRD in the spring as we get closer to the move. I'm the 2nd owner, it has around 70k and most options available shy of the limited, and is currently still under extended warranty. GDE Eco tune, I also have a DPF delete and tune for it, but haven't gotten around to installing either. I'll post an actual for sale listing in the future, but thought I'd give an early warning shot.

Cheers,

R

RESQNU

PR JKUs

I have spent some time in PR, you are going to love it! JKUs are kind of a staple there and for GOOD REASON! I would definitely take the JKU!

I lived in Hatillo while I was there... here is a HPD Jeep:

da0b848c84b811e3b0981289c86278ad_8.jpg

A rescue JKU from the next town over:

fcec4e4684b811e3a4e212ae29a537f1_8.jpg

And a JKU that snuck into an ambo pic I shot:

e28f51ac84b711e3a04a12011bcf227e_8.jpg

My pics are a bit gratuitous, but I Instagram a lot. :wings:

chevyz71

4x4 Z71
My uncle has a Call of Duty 4 doors on Caguas PR. He is a PR National Guard. My other uncle has a Rubicon 2 doors on Caguas PR. Jeeps are very popular on PR, also they have lots of off road trials all over PR. lots of Mud. Not really maintence trials like here on US.. Take a Winch with you if you have it . You might need it.. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior