MPV Build: 2000 7.3 PSD E350 w/ UJOR

Jsweezy

Explorer
Hey thanks for replying to my question! Ive never heard of anyone doing that but that's cool, good idea.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Windows, Tint & a few treats!

Ok, so yea its been a little while but here are a few updates!

Got some goods for Vinnie!....yea I finally named the van "Vinnie Da Van" lol

image10.jpeg

image12.jpg

Not sure where Im gonna up putting the fridge just yet but, initially I was thinking between the front seats....

Scored some pop out windows from a local guy on craigslist. These definitely help ventilate the van IMO. I sealed them with some 3M 08610 Window Weld

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

After I got the windows in, I went to my local window tint shop and had them work their magic.

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpg

image9.jpeg

I installed a some Audio and Video treats last weekend. System turned out nice and should make the road trips a bit more comfortable for the little ones/passengers. Went with an old sub and amp I had from my old car (alpine Type-R & Hifonics) and a audio pipe amp for the 6 interior speakers (Kenwood 6x8s) Headunit is a double DIN soundstream dvd/nav unit. Had to trim the dash a bit to get it to fit right. A rear camera and flip down screen in the rear for kids that can play video from the headunit or a PS3 if the pilot and co-pilot want to hear/watch something different. It was a budget build but it came out alot better than expected. Really happy with it.

image11.jpg

Last edited:

djbonsu

Adventurer
RAAM Audio

I ordered some sound deadener mats and Ensolite in hopes of quieting down the interior and getting some thermal insulation as well. I did have a partition as this was a work van so I removed that and got work on the ceiling and side panels. Starting with the RAAMmat BXT II sheets, I went through the side, door and roof panels with a goal of covering about 60% of the panels to dampening them. On the doors I made sure to cover the outer skins as well before working on the door panels (interior skin). No pictures of it but while installing the new speakers, I installed some ensolite behnd the speakers cavities as well to enhance the audio emmitting from them. I still have to coat the floor with por15 before sound deadner and ensolite will go on but here are some pics of the RAMMmat on the roof and side panels. On the roof I started to double up the RAAMmat with strips as the first layer then a full sheet layer perpendicular tot he strips to finish it off. This method should really keep down the road noise. I also cover the many cavities on the inner side panels after adding RAMMmat to the outer skins as well. The result should be really nice once I add the ensolite.

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

image4.jpg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

Thanks to craigslist again, I got 4 captain chairs from a Ford Chateau. They were in pretty good shape too. Just gotta clean them up. Will be installing these this weekend. I had some custom plate with nuts welded on them to support the base quick release bases. They will be positioned towards the rear more than the original chateau location to give us a bit more leg room. More pics of the final positioning later.

image3.jpg

Last edited:

djbonsu

Adventurer
How are you liking those headlights? Any idea if they get hot enough to melt snow in the winter while driving?

The lights are awesome and literally a NIGHT and DAY difference in terms of output. Pricey but well worth it and they install quick and easy. I too was wondering if the lights were heated as the literature online is mis-leading and implies they are heated but the 5x7 lights are not heated. The 7" round lights are heated tho (some
Not all of them). After calling truck lite, it appears there is a PWM signal in the jeep headlamp circuitry has in which the headlamps utilize to sense when the headlamp heating element turns on and off. I know kind of a bummer but I don't think it's a deal breaker for the 5x7 headlamp crowd. We shall see how they hold up in the winter.

djbonsu

Adventurer
what's the part number for the turbo silicon? Are they the same as the ones for the f series trucks?

I ordered mine from Riff Raff Diesel and here is the part number for the e series silicon plenum boots "RDPPLNM"
Great company and service. Clay should be able to answer any questions you may have about the products he sells.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Summer trips with Vinnie Da Van.....the build continues

Considering the summer is officially coming to a close and I now have some time, an update is in order. The summer has very been busy for me and the family with business and family adventures! Though the build continues, we have been utilizing "VinnieDaVan" as we go. Although I get anxious at times lusting over parts I want and wanting to just finish this build already, I really like the pace of this build as it allows me to not get totally bored with it and support it as money and time allow.

Back to the build... I had about 4 days to complete the following. With some help from my wife and neighbor, we were able to get it done before we set out on our family trip.

Added Raammat and Ensolite to the front cab area of van. I prepped and treated the entire floor of the front cab with POR15 prior to adding the insulation.

1IMG_0308 copy.jpg

1IMG_0313 copy.jpg

Chateau quick release bases bolted through the floor with custom plates to anchor them underneath. I prepped and treated the local areas with POR15 to save time. The entire floor will be treated as well once I get additional Rammat and Ensolite for the rear floor.

1IMG_0314 copy.jpg

Bought and installed a Vanrug! Nice addition that started to transform the look of the rear. I need to find something similar for the front.

1IMG_0320 copy.jpg

1IMG_0318 copy.jpg

Lighting isnt the best but here you can see the Chateau captain chairs and rear bench mounted. Leg room is nice for both and provides a nice and comfortable viewing angle for the flip down during travel.

IMG_6248.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

Sanded & painted the front bumper with rattle can

1IMG_0322 copy.jpg

continued......

djbonsu

Adventurer
Our first family trip with the van was awesome! About 1900 miles from Chicago to Kentucky to the Carolinas and back home! With a fridge and some A/V entertainment, we were able to keep the kids happy to and from. Here are a few pics from the trip...

1IMG_0331 copy.jpg

1IMG_6274 copy.jpg

1IMG_6280 copy.jpg

1IMG_6259 copy.jpg

1IMG_6290 copy.jpg

1IMG_6287 copy.jpg

Had to take the van Ford in South Carolina for service while on the trip. My clutch started slipping about 50 miles outside of Myrtle beach and was starting to smoke and make noises. Turned off the A/C till we got into town. Ford diagnosed a bad compressor and some other parts and $1100 later we were on our way to Charlotte.

IMG_6323.jpg

djbonsu

Adventurer
About a month ago, the van was down on power and running very rough. I wasnt comfortable driving it so I had it towed back home to figure out what the issue was. Considering, my EGTs were very low while running and my scangauge showed normal readings, I figured it had to be an electrical issue somewhere between the IDM and injectors. I ohm'd all of the wiring and everything was within spec. Scanning the IDM for codes revealed 1294 High Side Open No. 2 (left) and later on I also got 1293 High Side Open No. 1 (right) and then it wouldnt turn over. Turns out the IDM was bad. It didnt have any water dripping from it but I found a used one from a truck and swapped it in and it fired right up! Ordered a rebuilt IDM unit from allcomputerresources.com

IMG_6621.jpg

I fried the batteries during the whole trouble shooting process but they were under warranty so considering the terminals under the hood and along the frame rail were beat up, I ordered a new OEM harness from rockauto.com.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Got some rear end goodies from ringpinion.com the other day. 4.11 ring gear and pinion set, master rebuild kit and 35 spline shafts for the True Trac. "Winter is Coming" so that whole setup will be going in very soon! The reps over the phone at ringpinion.com were very knowledgeable and had the parts to my door the next day! All yukon shafts and gear set have a lifetime warranty on them too. Great service from those guys!

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

I'm hoping to do another short trip or two in the van with the family in the fall/winter months ahead. Re: the 4x4 conversion, I still need to shorten my gas tank and install the transfer case and gets some parts from Chris. My original forecast was to have this completed by the end of the year but that my be pushed out to late winter/early spring at the latest. :)

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Awesome progress! Also nice to see pics of your family outdoors enjoying it! What do I bribe my wife with to get her to install stuff with me?:) Great to see all your hard work paying off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles