Mrgalantguys 1998 Montero Winter package aka "Groot" Build & Adventure thread.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Meaning to post this a couple weeks ago but I got a lot of things going on with work and family recently I haven't had any time to really do things I do to "relax". Several weeks ago me and my son took a trip to check out Lake Apopka which is the 4th largest lake in Florida. It has some very interesting history especially how humans can cause sooo much destruction but also can do amazing things if we do the right thing. We were hoping to see more of the northern migration birds that come down during the winter but we will have to make another visit in another month or so...but none the less it was a great experience seeing some native florida wildlife in their natural habitat and some we never seen before.

Lake Apopka WMA by grimgs, on Flickr

This is the biggest pump "house" they used to pump water back into the land that used to have water originally. Years ago Farmers pumped out water to use for farming which through time ruined the area with the chemicals they used while farming. As part of the revitalization project after the state of Florida bought up majority of the land back from the farmers...they started pumping water back into the areas where water was originally and introducing native species to help recover the natural ecosystem that once thrived before humans destroyed the land.

Last edited:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I haven't posted anything here for a LONG time, been busy enjoying the Montero and well just life as a family man. There has been some progress since the last post of my rig so I am going to try to play catch up where I last left off and try to play catch up.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I was able to snag a Jaos half bull bar from a buddy in the Philippines. Not sure if I really need to go full out on a aftermarket "off road" bumper yet, but maybe in the near future I will but for now the stock front end will do.
Groot by grimgs, on Flickr

I also went ahead and removed the factory back up lens on the rear bumper and swapped them out for flush mounted LED's and wired them independently to a switch. Since I swapped from the USDM rear tailights which have the back up lends integrated unlike the USDM which aren't I used this opportunity to add some rear lighting.

I didn't care for the chrome finish on the Jaos bars so I plastidipped it black and also the chrome sections of the rear bumper.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I haven't been on here for a bit. Like probably most of you...Life stuff just happened.

Working my butt off, family things, a personal health scare and just getting healthy again and like alot of people these days....finances are just a bit tighter these days.

I still have the Montero and still enjoying it when we can. I haven't been able to really go out mostly because of life stuff and well the hot weather we get most of the year here in Florida kinda makes doing some outdoor stuff miserable. We have been able to go on a few trips off road, but just not as much we would liked to. Either or still making upgrades here and there to our Montero.

In 2021 I finally did a overhaul and upgrade on the suspension on Groot. I gathered all the parts and did everything pretty myself other than getting the Siberian bushings pressed into a couple of the suspension pieces.

Here is the list of suspension upgrades that Groot received as of September 2021.
  1. Adventure Driven Designs adjustable panhard bar
  2. B-Line performance SS complete brake line kit
  3. Dobinsons rear coil springs 30mm lift / 100kg constant (GS43-788)
  4. Dobinsons rear Big bore shocks (GS43-788)
  5. Dobinsons Front shocks (GS43-082S)
  6. Sway Away Torsion bars (1737)
  7. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi Front upper control arms
  8. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi Upper and Lower ball joints
  9. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi front sway bar links
  10. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi torsion bar dust boots
  11. Siberian Bushings
    1. Front Sway bar bushings
    2. Rear Sway bar bushings
    3. Rear sway bar end link bushings
    4. Front lower control arm bushings
    5. Rear trailing arm bushings
    6. Rear trailing arm to frame bushings
    7. Toasty Fab modified Siberian bushings to transmission mount
After this upgrade / overhaul my Montero feels completely like a different vehicle and rides like new. Minor issues like alignment, steering, and overall drivability issues I was having prior were ALL resolved. Extremely happy how everything turned out.

Groot Suspension overhaul by grimgs, on Flickr

Imnosaint

Adventurer
I haven't been on here for a bit. Like probably most of you...Life stuff just happened.

Working my butt off, family things, a personal health scare and just getting healthy again and like alot of people these days....finances are just a bit tighter these days.

I still have the Montero and still enjoying it when we can. I haven't been able to really go out mostly because of life stuff and well the hot weather we get most of the year here in Florida kinda makes doing some outdoor stuff miserable. We have been able to go on a few trips off road, but just not as much we would liked to. Either or still making upgrades here and there to our Montero.

In 2021 I finally did a overhaul and upgrade on the suspension on Groot. I gathered all the parts and did everything pretty myself other than getting the Siberian bushings pressed into a couple of the suspension pieces.

Here is the list of suspension upgrades that Groot received as of September 2021.
  1. Adventure Driven Designs adjustable panhard bar
  2. B-Line performance SS complete brake line kit
  3. Dobinsons rear coil springs 30mm lift / 100kg constant (GS43-788)
  4. Dobinsons rear Big bore shocks (GS43-788)
  5. Dobinsons Front shocks (GS43-082S)
  6. Sway Away Torsion bars (1737)
  7. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi Front upper control arms
  8. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi Upper and Lower ball joints
  9. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi front sway bar links
  10. Brand new OEM Mitsubishi torsion bar dust boots
  11. Siberian Bushings
    1. Front Sway bar bushings
    2. Rear Sway bar bushings
    3. Rear sway bar end link bushings
    4. Front lower control arm bushings
    5. Rear trailing arm bushings
    6. Rear trailing arm to frame bushings
    7. Toasty Fab modified Siberian bushings to transmission mount
After this upgrade / overhaul my Montero feels completely like a different vehicle and rides like new. Minor issues like alignment, steering, and overall drivability issues I was having prior were ALL resolved. Extremely happy how everything turned out.

Great to see you back.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Its been a year since my last post saying I was going to update this thread more often.....i guess I lied. 😅

Last year was a eventful and busy mixed with family stuff and some health issues/scares but it looks like things are settling down. We weren't able to enjoy the outdoors or hit the trails as much as we wanted to last year because of those things but hope to turn that around this year in 2024.

Other than that, I haven't done much to the Montero other than just some very minor maintenance stuff and was able to hit a few trails on the tail end of last year.

Solo gloom by grimgs, on Flickr

I will put more of an effort to update this thread as I have had a few people reach out to me here about questions. I also have more effort to put more content on our Youtube channel which I will post on here if anyone is interested. I got some planned upgrades for the Montero this year and actually enjoy it more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles