Mt Sunflower and Monument Rocks, Kansas

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Monument Rocks area.

The temperature gauge in my truck showed 11*F but it felt much colder with the wind and within a few moments of taking my hand out of my glove to snag the photo's it was freezing. I had the area to myself with the exception of two other groups showing up as I was walking around the area so it allowed me to explore both areas with no one else around more or less.

Last edited:

4x4x4doors

Explorer
We visited Monument Rocks (and Castle Rock) a couple of years ago during the summer. Was pleasantly non-populated then as well. I enjoyed it as a break from the flat, flat, fat trip across Kansas.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Ha. That's great, it is a cool place (Mt Sunflower). Many years ago (80's) I worked in a bar in CO. The Company had bars scattered throughout the west including 1 in KS and one in NE. So we organized a road trip to the tallest mountains in KS and NE and challeneged the bars there to journey to the highest point in CO. Sadly they didnt take us up on it. But we all had fun on our road trips to KS and MT. At least KS had a monument. NE was just a high spot in the prairie we toasted. and yes, there may have been some alcohol involved....or maybe not...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online