MT's vs Duratracs...WOW

anw7405

Observer
I'm an old farm boy that has had many different m/t tires on many different trucks. I currently have some m/t's on my suburban and they ride just how all my others have rode on the highway....loud and aggresive. I thought this was just a given until I drove a jeep the other day with goodyear duratracs. I could not believe how smooth and quiet they were on the highway. They were also a little bigger and had more miles on them than mine, so they were not brand new. I'm not sure if the duratracs are a really aggressive a/t or a really mild m/t. Regardless how do the duratracs do in mud and other off road situations? Anybody here have any experience with them? thanks.

Boog2001

Family Adventurer
I'd prolly call them a mild m/t.

I ran the duratracs till I changed vehicles. The only issue I had was cleaning them out. Seemed I had to spin pretty fast to get a good clean-out.

Best tire I've ever owned and I'll prolly be buying them again for the Excursion.

anw7405

Observer
Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. That's pretty much the point of having a mud tire is having them clean out. Thanks for your input.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yep, the change to Duratracs is huge. My XV-JP came with Goodyear M/Ts, and they were loud and squirrelly on the pavement, to the point that handling at freeway speeds was kinda spooky. The Duratracs aren't the ultimate bad-trail tire, but given that most every overlanding trucks will be on hard-core trails just a couple percent of their life, I'll propose them as a great choice.

96Delica

Adventurer
If you live in an area with frequent ice storms in the winter, they're terrible. Great in snow though. Just something to think about.

Mo4130

Adventurer
They are actually sold as commercial grade snow tires. I just wish they had em in load d 255 85 16s.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had Toyo MT's in the past. I thought they rode fine and weren't loud compared to most out there. Nitto's released a new one closely resembling the Duratracs.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I have run DuraTracs in the past. Great all around tire for a rig that is your DD and trip vehicle.
When they wore out I was in the market for a new set, but found out that Goodyear stopped making the DuraTrac with a 3-ply sidewall.
Bad move on the part of Goodyear...IMHO (...replaced them with the s/t maxx)

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have run DuraTracs in the past. Great all around tire for a rig that is your DD and trip vehicle.
When they wore out I was in the market for a new set, but found out that Goodyear stopped making the DuraTrac with a 3-ply sidewall.
Bad move on the part of Goodyear...IMHO (...replaced them with the s/t maxx)

The X/T Maxx looks like the direction I'll be going soon. I'd call it an aggressive all-terrain, more so than the Dura-Trac. A co-worker has the Dura-tracs on her Dodge p/u. Probably the best application for them. The Dura-tracs just aren't aggressive enough for my needs.

anw7405

Observer
Just scored a set of KM2's on chevy rims for $350!!!! hopefully they will be a little quieter and smoother. We will see.

SnowedIn

Observer
They are actually sold as commercial grade snow tires. I just wish they had em in load d 255 85 16s.

Yeah, a number of years ago I used to work at a place that installed bodies on commercial trucks; a lot of the Fuso type deals had a tire with this tread on it, but with smooth sidewalls. They looked neat enough that I considered trying to get a few of them. Seems like someone else had the same idea.

Robert Bills

Explorer
The Goodyear Duratrac is classified as a "commercial traction tire" and would be more accurately described as an "aggressive AT" tire than as a "mild MT."

I looked at them, but ultimately chose the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, another "commercial traction" tire, because the ST/Maxx has 3-ply sidewalls and was almost $65 per tire less than the Duratracs.

(Yes, I am saying that although Duratracs are the tire du jour on some Internet forums, they are overpriced and overrated.)

upsidedown22

I love mine 50K on them ride good and work good in the snow. Still have 12/32 left so they are going to last a long time. 2004 f-350 CC long Bed Diesel

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My st maxx tires had an inherent pull to the right. Since new. I am not the only one who had this issue with them. I rotated etc and it was no better. It caused my Jeep to wander around....ALOT. I was at my wits end chasing front end gremlins thinking it was the problem. I installed my BFG A/T and all of it went away. That being said, the ST maxx wore great, had tons of grip. Maybe on a heavy vehicle they will be better but I don't recommend them for a Jeep sized rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke