Mud Flaps?!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
So one of my mud flaps has disappeared and the other is looks like it will soon follow.
How necessary are mud flaps? Are they worth replacing, what are the benefits to having them?
I see some vehicles with flaps on all for corners, others with two on the back and others with none.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
You might get cited for no mud flaps in AZ... But I risk that and took mine off. If you back into a rock, you will tear them off and may not know, and leave it on the trail behind you.

They mainly protect your lower body from rocks, and debris that gets kicked up. That's the only benefit I see.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
I prefer mine...

Mcvick,

This is a good point for discussion. On the T100 forum that I belong to, it seems like guys consider mudflap removal just another part of lifting their rig. They seem to be the primary point of rubbing contact and hence are "ganked" without much thought.

On the other hand, as I look toward increasing ground clearance on my T100, I'm bound and determined to maintain the mudflaps. I think they serve a valuable function, especially in the world of winter road salt. They protect the lower body panels from rocks, mud, and debris just as Wil pointed out. I also like not having mud splashed up the sides of my doors in the front.

For my purposes, I see no need to remove them. If I lose one on the trail, oh well. But as long as they stay on of their own strength, I'm not removing them.

Just my thoughts...

whistler110

Observer
Around here I don't think they are mandatory, but with the amount of salt and debris it makes sense to have them. It also protects the vehicles around you on the highway, I get 2 - 3 new chips in the windshield each spring before they clean all the grit off the roads from rocks being kicked up by other vehicles.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Brian, in AZ there is a law that states mud flaps must be on a vehicle of certain heights and tire sizes, but yours does not fit into that category. I guess it is up to you if want to replace them or just not bother with them. One of these days I am going to remove the front flaps on my truck, but leave the rears on for asthetic purposes. They do pose a threat in terms of getting torn off on the trail, as well as possibly body damage. My cousin pulled his whole left front fendr down about 3/4" once when he caught the mud flap between the tire and a rock. But again, it is up to you.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I would prefer to not run with them primarily because they can and do tend to get ripped off on the trail. I think my missing flap is somewhere in Box Canyon! It's not an issue of loosing a flap its the fact that if they get torn off they also tend to left on the trail where it does not belong.

On the other hand I don't want to fling grit at anyone behind me on the highway.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think you are safe in terms of flinging grit and such, as your tires are not huge nor is your lift. And you are going to fling grit anyway, so a little more gets past, they should have glass coverage anyway:p

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
mcvickoffroad said:
I would prefer to not run with them primarily because they can and do tend to get ripped off on the trail. I think my missing flap is somewhere in Box Canyon! It's not an issue of loosing a flap its the fact that if they get torn off they also tend to left on the trail where it does not belong.

On the other hand I don't want to fling grit at anyone behind me on the highway.

Then just make them removable! You'll please both sides that you are trying to reach!

UncleChris

Adventurer
I took mine off on the trail last time I was out.

Seems that one of the snow runs I was on did a very good job of ripping the stock toyota ones apart. It ripped apart in the center even though it was still attached.

I have seen people cut them short, also get the tiniest aftermarket ones that they can find, so they can tell Officer Friendly that they have flaps.

I have sliders under the cab, which seem to replace the flaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles