MV50 Air Compressor power leads

Applejack

Explorer
I have an MV50 air compressor that just has battery leads for operation, but that makes it a pain to use, because I have to remove my hi-lift jack from my bumper to get my hood open. What would be nice is to be able to use the 12v power outlet in my 4Runner's cargo area(cigarette style). Does anyone know of if there are cables to convert from battery leads to a cigarette style input? Or should I just cut and splice? I don't really like cutting and splicing but............

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
It draws too much amperage to work with a power port connection. Stay with the clamps or a higher amperage connection like the power pole connectors.

corax

Explorer
Under load the MV50 will draw too much current for a cig lighter. The result could be that your plug end gets too hot and melts

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
It has a 30A(edit, it's 40A) relay inside it, it pulls enough to get 12ga wire really hot. And I am only running about a 12" lead from my fuse block to the compressor. You could make a power point and use these to connect it.
WP30_lrg.jpg

Last edited:

HenryKrinkle

Observer
Please don't rig it into the cigarette lighter. I have the same compressor. Last winter it melted the 40A fuse that came with it. It didn't blow the fuse, it literally melted the plastic housing of the fuse and I had to dig it out with a needle nose pliers. I don't know why it did that, but it is a good sign that there is way too much power going through it to try it on anything less than the wire gauge that came with it. You could mount the thing in the cab, run the wires into the engine bay, put ring-style connectors on the ends and bolt it into the batter terminals. Then when you need it, you just flip the switch.
I'm not sure I trust the thing enough to leave it hooked up all the time, but that's just me.

Good luck

kjp1969

Explorer
I wired my MV-50 to the power and ground leads of a 7-pin trailer plug- that's a 40 amp circuit and it works great if you already have that socket on your rear bumper.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Last winter it melted the 40A fuse that came with it. It didn't blow the fuse, it literally melted the plastic housing of the fuse and I had to dig it out with a needle nose pliers.

Opps sorry, thought it was 30A? My relay was blue in color, it was a cheap one I know that. I replaced the relay with a Bosch unit because it melted with the relay in the closed position. The Bosch relay I put in is a 30A but it hasn't failed with repeated 5gal tank air ups.

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
another reason i love this sight

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my FJ and adding a 12v above the factory 110v. After talking to my electrical expert, my brother who lives across country, we found the wiring to be insufficient to tap into. He had bought some marine style battery terminals and modified them to add posts for running his fuse block etc. I plan on doing the same and simply adding ring style connectors to my MV to make it easier to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz