My 2000 GMC Yukon XL K1500

Shpook

I built this truck mostly to take us down intermediate trails, to find the best campsite possible, to be comfortable while doing so, and not break the bank. There's usually 3 or 4 people when we go out, plus 4 dogs. I've been very happy with it, but it definitely has it's limitations. On to the mods.

Suspension/steering/tires:
3 inch overall lift, keys up front and spacers in the rear.
Z71 rear springs.
Bilstein 5100 shocks.
Rear sway bar delete(unless towing).
Tie rod reinforcement sleeves.
All components replaced with Moog and/or heavy duty.
2 inch wheel spacers.
285/75/16 Cooper STT Pros.

Drivetrain:
U-joints replaced with off the shelf Spicers.
Factory G80 rear differential.
Factory NP246 replaced with manual shift NP241.
Many, MANY CV axle replacements.

Electrical:
Auxiliary AGM battery mounted in center console.
260A alternator.
200W solar panel mounted on hood.
1000W inverter.
Battery relay to give the option of charging the aux battery from the engine or self jumping.
Bearcat 880 CB radio.
Interior and offroad lights, along with radio, can be toggled between main or aux battery.
Inverter and refrigerator run off aux battery.

Body/Misc
Smittybuilt GMT400 grill guard.
Vents cut into hood.
eBay snorkel.
Custom limb risers.
Front lower valance removed.
Custom built roof rack.
Spare mounted on rear door.
Dual auxiliary cooling fans mounted inside fan shroud.
1/8" steel front, front diff, and transfer case skid plates.

ToDo List:
Spohn rear adjustable control arms and track bar.
New wheels with proper offset to ditch the spacers.
Make a front winch mount/bumper.
Figure out what to do about front axle geometry. Either go to a 6" lift kit, drop my front diff 1" and use CV spacers, or do a SAS. I'm sick of replacing axles.
Get a full size spare.
Get off my butt and install the 4.30 gears. They make great door stops though.

I probably forgot a few things, I'll update if they come to me. I also don't have too many recent pictures of it, which I guess I'll have to work on.

0qRIEhzl.jpg

tiPAxaTl.jpg

FaDOdIIl.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks real good. Info on the roof rack? home-brew custom?
Did you delete the plastic fan when you put the electrics in and what kit and how do you power / trigger the new fans. That's an update I really want to do. Even if I have to add a pusher fan and a manual switch. My Sub seems to have trouble with stop and go traffic in the summer heat in L.A., the A/C just can't hang without more air moving thru.

I've seen pics of a front diff drop with some hockey-puck like spacers, but have no idea how they rigged to top hangar bolt locations.

Shpook

Thanks. Just a home brew, made from 3/4" EMT conduit. I'll probably end up re-making it, there's some things I wanna do differently, mostly make it a little lower.

I left the mechanical fan in place, the electric fans are just to assist during summer. I'm in south Florida, and there's a lot of offroading in deep water. I like the additional insurance of the mechanical fan. The fans just come on with the ignition, with a toggle switch to allow me to shut them off for water crossings. One day I'll enable electric fans in the PCM so I get proper fan function.

I also had issues with heat build up. I do lots of extended idling, and with the full coverage skid plates, heat would build up and it would start to over heat. With the electric fans and hood vents, it's perfect.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Shpook and thanks for posting pics of your fine rig. You will lots of helpfull people here that can give you advice on how to upgrade your rig. Larry is our GM guru here who knows a lot about our rigs and what makes them work. He is a certified GM technician. I like the pic of your rig forcing the water. Always good to see a truck that gets muddy. I look forward to seeing what you do to your rig and if a sas is in the future. Lots of guys here have done them with great results. Cheers, Chilli....:)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Curious too about the hood vents and if you've had any trouble with your knock sensors yet?

/see details and info on that in my 'Hey Vortec' topic, link in my sig.

Shpook

Oh yeah, did knock sensors and harness after my first time out. I've done a lot of them at the shop, so knew what I was looking for when I lost power. :)

Shpook

Also, the hood vents are just cheap $2 aluminum eave louvers riveted into the hood. I just cut the hole 1/2in smaller than the size of the vent.

Here's a picture of the vents right after I installed them and painted the hood.

4v7A8Zoh.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior