My 2016 frontier build and adventure thread!

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hello gals and guys!
My name is Evan and I'm the lucky owner of a brand new 2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4. So far I absolutely love the truck. My previous vehicle was a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a good car but it was needing some expensive work and was starting to become unreliable.

Here are a couple pics of the wk. it had 32in cooper tires and an OME 3in lift and a lot of other little things.

So for a couple months now I knew I wanted a new more reliable vehicle. I'm not a big rock crawler but I am a huge outdoor guy and I'm really starting to get into the whole overland scene. Which brings me to my new toy.

First night in the driveway, had to clean the garage out at 9pm so it would fit. Haha.

Couple day time pics. Already have 900 miles on her and I'm blown away with how nice the ride is. Also even though the interior is basic it is so solid and quiet compared to the jeep. Love this truck.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
So, even though I can never leave a truck stock. This vehicle will be built with necessity in mind. Only what it needs to go the places I want to go. That was one of the mistakes I made with the jeep. I put whatever looked cool on it. KIASAP: keep it as stock as possible is the idea for this truck. With that being said I do want it to be able to get me out and about in the beautiful Colorado mountains.

The first mod I have done was for reliability, the rear axle breather mod.

I purchased the Nissan barbed fitting, 7' of 1/4in gas line and a cheap chain saw filter.

1AC6D7CC-9BAB-41BF-8CF0-7B74A418D1F4.jpg

I attached the filter behind the rear passenger tail light.

Then I threaded the line to the rear axle.

Other current plans will be:
265/75-16in duratracks ( it's my understanding these will fit with no rubbing on stock suspension??)
Window tint
Rear hitch
Armor and rock sliders
And a topper.

I look forward to learning all about nissan and seeing everyone's rigs. Any insight or wisdom is always welcome!!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great looking truck! The axle vent mod is a good first step, and in my opinion essential for longevity with these trucks.

Looking forward to your progress.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I had to bail on my WK too..... The clunks, the pops, the vibrations. I miss it some days until I hit a bump or turn the ignition switch on my truck. Well made and reliable.
photo_zps5d83fe01.jpg

I picked up a truck with the topper included. My good friend has an xterra that is awesome. I've always liked the frontier since 2004 when they first hit the lots. We looked at a frontier and we decided we wanted a full size for the room. I've had great experience with the 2003-2007 GM 1500's for simplicity and longevity.
Plus we have a few bigger trailers and a 1 yr old girl who brings alot of cargo.
IMG_0107_zpsi9p8gjuo.jpg

Lessons learned from the wk:
1. No lifts, no exhaust, nothing on the roof
2. New shocks and tires go a long way
3. Skid plates and recovery hardware are essential
4. Enjoy the adventure and worry less about having allthe gadgets

I am a bit jealous of your narrow track width and shorter wheelbase. Still trail friendly, moreso than my Silverado.

Last edited:

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Thanks guys!

Bikemobile I think you and I learned the exact same lessons while owning the wk. only install what you need. Much more money for adventures that way!! And a much more reliable vehicle for those adventures. I really like your Silverado. Great looking truck! I would have been looking at one also if I had the need for all that space, but the size of the frontier is perfect for my needs and gear storage!!

Also that's great news about the tires. I'm really wanting a set of general grabbers in 265/75-16. The duratracs look cool but I'm concerned with the road noise they might create. Although the cab on this frontier is dead silent... Hmmm decisions decisions. Ha

paroxysym

Adventurer
another one bites the dust lol. well I look forward to seeing this build and will be following this one as I have been following bikemobiles.. as the WK gets alittle long in the tooth(160k) I question my next round of mods(OME springs sitting in the basement).

good luck!

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I have had such great luck with the Grabber AT2. No flats, no problems at all. They also NEVER needed air. I also did not follow any kind of disciplined rotation schedule with the AT2's on the jeep. They started to sing a bit near the end but they had thousands of miles off road on them. I can hear them just a tad on the truck because I am following my own advice and I'm not messing with the exhaust on the truck. I am very impressed with General Tire overall. Tough to beat the price too. I paid $133 each delivered from discount tire direct.

Reactions: bkg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Love my WK, but it is a DD and staying close to stock (small lift and some tires) but otherwise a family hauler. I have my 6" lifted XJ for the fun stuff. I looked at picking up a Frontier instead of the WK (with the NISMO offroad package) but needed more towing capacity, so I opted for the WK with the 5.7L Hemi. Loved the Nissan, but it just needed 2 more cylinders.

Nice truck BTW. And we miss you on JF in the WK section...lol.

:coffeedrink:

Obrianmcc

Observer
Love my WK, but it is a DD and staying close to stock (small lift and some tires) but otherwise a family hauler. I have my 6" lifted XJ for the fun stuff. I looked at picking up a Frontier instead of the WK (with the NISMO offroad package) but needed more towing capacity, so I opted for the WK with the 5.7L Hemi. Loved the Nissan, but it just needed 2 more cylinders.

Nice truck BTW. And we miss you on JF in the WK section...lol.

:coffeedrink:

Curious what your towing? ... the Frontier is a pretty capable tow rig and gets respectable MPG in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles