My 4x4 Bluebird - [UNNAMED]

RepairmanSki

Observer
So I bought this fella recently:

The original posting and subsequent purchase are here.

I'm quite pleased with it overall, I've needed to do a bit of general maintenance, chassis greasing and so forth, and am awaiting better weather to tackle some outstanding issues like the leaky pan gaskets and bulkhead coolant leak. Nothing I can't manage, but with 10" of snow on the ground I've opted for patience.

The interior is functional, but quite spartan. I've taken the spate of cold weather as an opportunity to tinker around in SketchUp and work on the future floorplan and layout. I am constrained, in part, due to existing exterior modifications most specifically the refrigerator. Exterior propane storage may interfere enough with the bath layout that it will require relocation, we shall see.

Here is an isomorphic view of the current plan:

The only things fundamentally unchanged from its current form is the dinette, the refrigerator, and the bulkhead about 5 window bays rearward. Water storage is under the bed, above and slightly aft of the rear axle.

Questions and comments appreciated, just note the the cabinetry and some sundry details are just mocked up for volume, not really indicative of exactness.

Also, the pics are linkified for larger versions (where available) and I'm still in need of a name...

Engine: Chevrolet 366/6.0L Gas
Transmission: Allison 545
Transfer: Rockwell T 226 (1.99)
Front: Dana Off-Highway 9000#
Rear: Eaton 19069-S 19,000#
GVW: 15,000# (Downrated for licensing)
Final Drive: 7.17
Wheel/Tire: 11R24.5
Odometer: 112K

Last edited:

RepairmanSki

Observer
If the reefer hadn't already been cut in and mounted I would have done things much differently. I really tried hard to make a rear-entry "mud room" work, but there just wasn't room for a full size bed anywhere else when I did. It's pretty important to us that there is a dedicated bed that doesn't require making/unmaking every day.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I am in the planning stages still on mine but I just don't see how I can have a rear entry/mud room and a queen bed in a school bus. My main entrance will be on the side where the existing bus door is now. I am still undecided on if I will make the rear emergency door a main entrance and do without a fixed bed.

Entropy

Observer
Could you try one of those lifting beds that snugs up against the ceiling until it's needed? Maybe not possible - I seem to remember headroom in school buses is limited.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
If you could get the water storage below floor level, and the flip-up bed, you'd have extra space for guests, an area to watch tv w/guests, etc. Some of the beds can be folded up completely made up, so no making/un-making involved. Use the back door as an entrance onto a deck/balcony. Might need to fold up for driving. Ideas are easy, eh?! Good luck with your project, looks very, very cool!

RepairmanSki

Observer
I seem to remember headroom in school buses is limited.

Quite, I have 63.5" at the wall before the curve begins and 73.5" in the center. It's currently un-insulated in the floor as well so that may chew up a couple more inches. I've considered spray-in foam in the underbody space, but that seems like a massive undertaking.

RepairmanSki

Observer
If you could get the water storage below floor level, and the flip-up bed, you'd have extra space for guests, an area to watch tv w/guests, etc. Some of the beds can be folded up completely made up, so no making/un-making involved. Use the back door as an entrance onto a deck/balcony. Might need to fold up for driving. Ideas are easy, eh?! Good luck with your project, looks very, very cool!

That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. The necessity of leaving the reefer in place just jams up everything else I try. It is located almost dead center so building out the rear into a bath doesn't leave any passage space once the bed would be folded down. Plus having my son along would mean that at some point in the night, bathroom ops become impossible for someone.

I'm going to keep trying to come up with a way to make it work though, it really is the layout I envisioned.

RepairmanSki

Observer
I just don't see how I can have a rear entry/mud room and a queen bed in a school bus.

I mocked this up real quickly for you SB. I used the same measurements as mine 19'x7.5'

The green area is the bath/mudroom, the blue is the galley and the purple is a murphy queen with integrated dinette:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
That queen murphy with a dinette is a pretty good idea. I am going to use it for my build. Is it a build it yourself deal or does a company make something like that? I need to get cracking on my bus build here soon. Probably this summer once I get settled.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Do you know about skoolie.net website? They actually have a forum for shortbuses. Some of it is pretty good, some is a little hacked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier