My '52 M100 Trailer Build

en480c4

Observer
Matching black cover would look nice.

I had one made for my big M101A2, Works great.
http://www.mytarp.com/machine-covers.aspx

Thanks again for the link... I decided to take a shot with one of their 5'x7' 22 oz. vinyl tarps. Sounds like the grommet spacing (2' o.c.) will be pretty close for stock hook locations. It's a little bigger than the original canvas tarps, so the corners won't be perfect, but considering I'd be looking at $115 for a NOS canvas one, I figured it was worth a shot. Worst case I'll pick up a grommet tool and add them as required. Now I just need to make up a few bows...

en480c4

Observer
Got to use my trailer for the first time today. It wasn't a big deal... Just a dump run. But it's great knowing I have such a versatile little trailer that tows so well behind the Jeep!

en480c4

Observer
I would've liked to have, as well. But it would've been an expensive proposition. The cuts were so ragged that even with ratchet straps, we couldn't close the gaps. So I would've had to pick up a replacement panel from Greene panels. The bigger issue would've been learning how to weld, and buying the welder. Both are on my list of things to do, but not in the budget right now. So the trailer is on the road and being used. Long-term it's probably going to need a floor and when I get into that I'm going to revisit the rear panel and could get the replacement at that point.

en480c4

Observer
Well, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the tarp order. I finally got word yesterday that it had shipped, two weeks after ordering it. Their website says "Usually leaves warehouse in 2 - 5 business days." Needless to say, this wasn't enough to get me to call and cancel, but it was a little frustrating to think that I'd receive shipment notification any day and have that go on for a week and a half longer than indicated with no update.

Having said that, I've been planning my approach for bows since the M100, unlike the Bantam, doesn't have stake pockets. I'll probably be picking up some wood next week and see what I can come up with. I'm leaning towards a drop-in frame with each end as the first bows, and two removable intermediate bows at third points.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sorry about the tarp delay, They were fast with me.
I hope it is not a sign of the times Most places are slow and get the product out fast.
Post pictures when you figure out the bows.

TacoDell

Adventurer
Having said that, I've been planning my approach for bows since the M100, unlike the Bantam, doesn't have stake pockets. I'll probably be picking up some wood next week and see what I can come up with. I'm leaning towards a drop-in frame with each end as the first bows, and two removable intermediate bows at third points.
Just sharing...

when I was using a tarp on mine... I used pvc to make more room under the tarp.

It was removed fairly easy and is simply leveraged in between the upper side panels...
and the hoops can be set at a desired height (tho' too tall might be of issue)
Also... it breaks down easily... as no glue is required.

I'll guess it weighs less then wood as well !?

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

JJonesee

Observer
Looks good.

I think one of the best things I did was widen the track and add brakes. With my LJ it tracked ok on paved roads, but on trails it was always wandering. I can only guess with a JK it would be worse.

2strokeTRush

I know it's a old build thread, but do you have the part number or link for your leaf springs? I know you got it from quaddratec but I see so so many I don't wanna order the wrong one. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior