My 80 build up thread

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
That link is not working keep getting a 404 forbidden.

Truck is turning out great! I'm just about to install my Polk speakers in my LX (not limiting my self to the stock covers).

Keep up the good work, if you cant fix that link can you give us a run down on the dual battery setup? I'm just about to start mine. :elkgrin:

latinoguy

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments.

If you are at work you may have to adjust your computer's settings, as it may be a firewall issue. I just clicked it from my office and it works.

othewise go http://www.bajaoverland.com
and click in TECH. I am following the schematic on that same website.
batdiagramnew2.jpg

I am staying with a basic, and manual set up for my dual battery mod. No solenoids. I control which battery gets charged and at what times through a Marine switch.(Blue Seas 4 Way Marine Battery Switch (Part # 9001E.)

I may either use the second battery as an emergency "start" battery when my main one is drained beyond its ability to start my rig, OR, switch all the accessories (aux lights, 12v power inside the truck, 12v fridge) to the second battery, and managing the charging system accordingly thru the use of the switch.

I still need to find a 3/8" distribution block with a splash guard, and once I get the battery, need to measure cable lengths, and put an order for them.

Truck is turning out great! I'm just about to install my Polk speakers in my LX (not limiting my self to the stock covers).

Keep up the good work, if you cant fix that link can you give us a run down on the dual battery setup? I'm just about to start mine. :elkgrin:

Last edited:

latinoguy

Adventurer
Update:
Dual battery mod is still work in progress. Only thing left to do is get the appropiate battery cable and connectors. In the mean time, I also got a Discovery cup holder for a much needed 2nd cup holder.

Oh, In April, I also bought, and mounted the Edgestar 12V fridge. I will just have to take a pic or 2 in the near future.

cupholder2.jpg

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader

Polk Audio great midrange sound, do you have the speaker part numbers, for the front and rear doors?

latinoguy

Adventurer
While I was picking up some PM parts, I went along and did the FJ62 series hood support mod, as one of the hood shocks is beginning to fail, and won't keep the hood up like it should. These are the part numbers you would need to do this.

53451‑90A00 ROD, HOOD SUPPORT FJ62
90480‑15002 GROMMET (FOR HOOD SUPPORT ROD) FJ62
53452‑90351 HOLDER, HOOD STAY FJ62

fj62hoodsupport.jpg

LtFuzz

Explorer
Some people were seriously talking about pushing that poor lady's Jeep off the cliff just so they could spare some time and get through? Were there narcos on their tail or something? Sheesh!

latinoguy

Adventurer
I finally took pics for the dual battery install. This is a basic manual system, that does not include a solenoid. the marine switch determines if I charge my main battery (1) or both (1 and 2.) When I was camping in Baja I would put the switch to the 2 position which is the auxiliary battery that runs my additional aux stuff, like 12V power points, and the power going to the 12V fridge.

One of the drawbacks is not to forget to keep the aux battery charged as well. I do so by putting it in 1 + 2 and drive it for a while. (I keep the switch to the 1 position most of the time as I keep the fridge disconnected) When I need to self jump I just put the switch to 1, start the truck and I am good to go.

DualBatteries001.jpg

DualBatteries005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz