My Big Bend article in Toyota Trails magazine.

lloydrage

very cool

I will be going to big bend national park later in the year. Any tips or pointers? I will be taking my 2017 JKUR and am planning on sleeping in a tent while there.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
There are great maps of the off pavement trails. There is almost no cell service in the park. Bring your passport to go to Boquillas for lunch. Hopefully you are not planning to go until after October this year unless you like 100 plus temps.

Make reservations for camping as there is no such thing as dispersed camping.

lloydrage

Thanks! I am going at end of September (last weekend) so pretty much October.

Do I make reservations online or via phone? Where can I find the maps?

Thanks again

lloydrage

thanks. I am coming from Corpus Christi so it appears I will be from the North on 385. I want to do black gap from the S to the N so I will loop around to there. Also the mines look pretty cool.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
It is a great place. River road is a nice drive. Don't forget the Dinosaur exhibit. Chisnos camping area will be cooler if you are going during the hot season. Gas is available in the park but will be more expensive. Top off in Marathon and bring your own if you want.

Epix

Observer
lloydrage, I would recommend you stay at the Chisos Mountains camp ground versus Cottonwood or Rio Grande Village, We just got back from Big Bend two weeks ago and it was extremely hot even in the shade. The Chisos Mountains average temp was around 81 with a slight breeze, however this area filled up fast due to Memorial day weekend and because of the area being so popular. We stayed at Cottonwood and it was very nice and quiet, not too many people during the week. Hope that helps.

VicMackey

Adventurer
mep1811, I enjoyed your article. You should warn people that it ends on a cliffhanger :p. I look forward to reading more.

That leads to a question: Is Toyota Trails available to any joker, or just to people in the Toyota group? I enjoyed the magazine and would like to find back issues.

Cheers.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
We camped at the primitive sites to avoid the crowds. At the end of Sept you should be able to find them open. Unfortunately I don't believe you can reserve those in advance you'll just need to stop in at the Visitor's Center and put your name on it. Pick 2 or 3 in the general area in case your first choice is already taken. Black Gap is a fun drive and since you'll be going S to N you'll drop at the Gap versus climbing it.

lloydrage

We camped at the primitive sites to avoid the crowds. At the end of Sept you should be able to find them open. Unfortunately I don't believe you can reserve those in advance you'll just need to stop in at the Visitor's Center and put your name on it. Pick 2 or 3 in the general area in case your first choice is already taken. Black Gap is a fun drive and since you'll be going S to N you'll drop at the Gap versus climbing it.

awesome info.

I read that going S to N is the way to go, do you agree?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
awesome info.

I read that going S to N is the way to go, do you agree?

Yes when I do it again that’s the way I’ll go. There’s a bit of a climb coming out at Glenn Springs where the road is a bit rough but nothing you can’t handle after the rest of Black Gap Rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94