My Camping / Rooftop Tent Trailer Build

JKChad

Observer
Have a question about how you have the rack secured both in the up and down position. I can see from the pictures that you have a bolt on each post, I'm guessing it is used mainly in the up position but how does it secure? Did you thread both tubes to lock together? Or just threaded on the outer tube?
I can get a better picture if needed. The T handle, spring loaded pop pin, does all the weight support. The pins are very heavy duty, they taper from 3/8's to 1/2" for easier seating. The bolts are temporary till my threaded star knobs come in. They are used to to keep the pins seated and to take the slack out of the upper tube. Physical speaking, the pins can't come out of the upper tube when seated. The bolt is just to prevent the tubes from rattling in transit or allowing any movement when in the high position. I had planned for a secondary pin to pass completely through the tube to secure the rack in the upper position, but it doesn't seem necessary at this point.

82e776cf815c05a8c00b1997b87cd5cd.jpg

Grenade1

I can get a better picture if needed. The T handle, spring loaded pop pin, does all the weight support. The pins are very heavy duty, they taper from 3/8's to 1/2" for easier seating. The bolts are temporary till my threaded star knobs come in. They are used to to keep the pins seated and to take the slack out of the upper tube. Physical speaking, the pins can't come out of the upper tube when seated. The bolt is just to prevent the tubes from rattling in transit or allowing any movement when in the high position. I had planned for a secondary pin to pass completely through the tube to secure the rack in the upper position, but it doesn't seem necessary at this point.

That makes sense. So the bolts are simply for stabilizing not for support. Great work on this by the way. I'll be referring back to your build once I get going on mine. And probably have a few questions along the way ;)

JKChad

Observer
Wahoo!!! Finally got to enjoy the fruits of my intense labor over the last few weeks. The trailer​/tent made its first trip out over the weekend for a fun family camping trip. I was not able to get the trailer coated/painted before we left so that's all still a work in progress, among many other aspects but the trailer is very much functional!

Last week I worked crazy hours at work and didn't even go to bed Thursday night to get everything I wanted to get done before we left out Friday afternoon. I was able to get the frame exterior stripped and ready for primer. Installed my new Dexter axle and mounted up my, new to me, wheels and tires. I was also able to get my rear stabilizer Jack's installed, which are worth their weight in gold from a functionality standpoint.

Most importantly, my wife and son loved the setup, even in 35° f weather and my wife is already wanting to plan out next weekend out in a few weeks!!!!!

Here's a few pics of the trailer progress and camping trip.

647f818d8ac808e078150859f78fa794.jpg

d2d8f6dea39187fae0c736022f47b18a.jpg

52ae4b4358945911174fff2025dd17e1.jpg

70c38210277f73369c77345ab01f84fb.jpg

c7a60134d1d640a912214c92bae43ab4.jpg

60a318d797ffd50864469204c445046b.jpg
5aa26e817a92fc4984be8abcc49ba829.jpg
6fd62d4d943868fddd3c3ee70c6108a1.jpg

TheThom

Adventurer
Nice job! I have those same stabilizing jacks on my camper. I take an impact driver with me to make short work of raising and lowering. Subscribed.

JKChad

Observer
Nice job! I have those same stabilizing jacks on my camper. I take an impact driver with me to make short work of raising and lowering. Subscribed.
Thankfully, the jacks work so well that my smallest 12 volt compact screw gun operates them just fine. My cordless impact is super loud. I didn't want to be that guy hammering away with an impact gun late at night if we ended up arriving late.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TheThom

Adventurer
Thankfully, the jacks work so well that my smallest 12 volt compact screw gun operates them just fine. My cordless impact is super loud. I didn't want to be that guy hammering away with an impact gun late at night if we ended up arriving late.

Yeah. Super late, I just crank it down by hand...which isn't fun. I also have a trailer leveler that I had used the driver for but might re-think my system...

mccustomize

Explorer
Where did you order your struts from? Any pictures of them mounted, I'm about to cut the fixed rack off my trailer in favor of a lid and telescoping rack.

JKChad

Observer
Where did you order your struts from? Any pictures of them mounted, I'm about to cut the fixed rack off my trailer in favor of a lid and telescoping rack.

Struts came from liftsupportdepot.com. Search by stroke length and filter out anything less the 19". I went with 60lb per corner struts for my rack/tent combo. The struts come with the socket end. I just unscrewed them and used the threaded ends through my brackets I made. The threaded ends are M8x1.25 thread, which matches the hardware with my CVT tent.

I am about to throw together a little sketch of how they are mounted inside the tubes. Kinda hard to describe. Pretty simple though.

JKChad

Observer
So I ran across a deal on a like new CVT awning and couldn't pass it up. Made a quick run down to Chattanooga to pick it up yesterday. Soon as I got home, I temporarily attached it to the trailer and also rotated the tent to deploy off of the back of the trailer. Gonna be nice to have some shade during those hot summer days. Especially if we're setup at a campground that doesn't​ have many trees.

411e21a4428fc628790527bc8650fc87.jpg

dad5b6fe313119020c13b5bb0d194311.jpg

JKChad

Observer
So, I haven't done much to the trailer lately other than reconfigure the tent to deploy off the back and mount my awning. Just focusing on using it as much as we can. We recently hit up fall Creek falls state park over memorial day weekend. Finally got to experience the whole setup during some heavy rain and was very impressed. Tent stayed dry, awning held up great and keep us dry. We even brought our 2 Siberian Huskies out with us. They did great in the annex at night.

Also, due to some unfortunate circumstances with my wife's VW, we decided sell it and get a new, more appropriate, tow rig for the trailer! Love towing with the Tahoe but we're wanting to be able to do some more remote camping. So, I flew up to Chicago yesterday and drove home the Wifey's new, to us, ride!
efadcb531bf2a8357c440015e4144475.jpg
7f7aa2393b171771201cf3a530388032.jpg
096d9bdb1ad3b77fc11e44d4be585d98.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94