My Conqueror and Rig!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Not just due to tank. 48 or so gallons is what it is. If you run at 13mpg, you would only get just over 600 miles until empty. The racks or stuff on them like awnings, RTT, etc, make a huge difference at highway speeds. I also only use ethanol FREE gas which yields no less than +10% mpg.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Using the PureGas APP I found a station about 1/2 way between Nashville and the northern border on 25 that has Efree 93.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Well, I cannot believe I haven't posted in this thread since last July. Holy Smokes.

We took the trailer two weeks ago to Mammoth Cave Kentucky.
While not off-roading per se, it did give us some beautiful road time and we were able to find (thanks to a Ranger in the supply store) a remote little known campground that is where a ferry once crossed (fell victim to the Government shut down and never reopened when the Gov't started back up again).
We only had a one other camper in a site that once held 12 campers and I think one night there were two others (usually gone the next morning).
The campground was on the river. First night (even though middle of May, we liked to froze to death (got down to 37 degrees- NOT normal for this time of year here!).
The Mammoth Cave State Park was fantastic. We saw more turkeys and deer ... but most of the spectacular stuff was underground!
We did both Mammoth Cave and another (and even more spectacular) Diamond Caverns. (well worth the price of admission).
In some places in Mammoth, we were 350 feet underground. And I didn't realize that Mammoth Cave is the largest cave network in the world (at over 250 miles long!)
Here is the site- note Green River in the back ground:

Kids and Me:

Kids:

Some of the Caverns:

Robert907

Observer
Nice camper and Rover. It is good to see someone else exploring NC. We are in Greensboro and constantly think of places to go in other states. We are noting you travels and will try some of your campgrounds.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I missed some images from our 4th of July weekend at Mount Pisgah, North Carolina:

Kids first Waffle House experience on the way to the mountains. Having grown up as a touring musician, Waffle House was old hat for me. :)

While this wasn't a remote camping experience (since it was a SEES event), it was a perfect camping weekend. Even thought it was 4th of July, it was quite cold at night and somewhat "chilly" during the day. The campground is part of the park service, but we felt like out spot was just perfect. Since our trailer is from South Africa, (and even though it has doors on both sides), we tend to "live" on the kitchen side, which is opposite the US camper "typical" side. This site had the fire pit and table on the right side for our needs. It was also fairly private.

I'll post more pics soon from this trip.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Some Pictures from this trip:

Losing a Wheel while going 70MPH = no fun!

RollBack:

On The Ferry Ride- Truck AND Trailer:

Beach Driving With Trailer:

The Camp:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
When I had the hubs reworked with Land Rover Studs, I had steel wheels. There was a lot more stud showing. When I switched to Alloy there is a lot less "grab". I used a wrench (hand wrench) and did tightened pretty firm, but not pneumatic tool tight. I had never pulled the trailer this far on a trip, and I let checking the lugs slip from my radar.
I now am researching longer LR studs from the UK and I carry a wrench in the door side pocket. Everytime I stop for fuel or rest room breaks, I tighten them back up again.

What was odd is that there was no wobble or anything. However, the wheel itself was ruined for normal use. Luckily I have a 4th wheel in the box from when I purchased the set of 4.

Lesson: Always be checking your nuts. :sombrero:

Jwestpro

Explorer
....and I carry a wrench in the door side pocket. Everytime I stop for fuel or rest room breaks, I tighten them back up again.

May I recommend:

I always have in the vehicle a 1/2" drive torque wrench which is about 24" long and a deep/long 6 point impact socket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94