My disco makes me want to dance

zelatore

Explorer
Thanks. My metric set has a 20, but it not deep socket. Should I get a deep socket version too?

Not something you'd need every day, but if you want to do things like the front LCAs (common on the LR3) a good set of deep large sockets is handy. 24mm is common on the front suspension, and the axle stub is 32mm (I think....I should know as I was just on it Sunday but can't recall for sure).

This is the set I use. Not USA made, but not Chinese either. A pretty good price for a full set from 10 to 36mm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRB5W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Or just come out to a club wrenching day at British Recyclers like we did last weekend and one of us will probably have whatever you'd need. :)
(myself, I needed the use of their lift)

phobucket

Observer
Definitely. We are looking forward to it. We removed the roof rack yesterday so I can trim it down. The roof also needs a good wash, but that can wait until after Saturday.

phobucket

Observer
Had a great time at Hollister Hills with NCLR. Fun bunch of people. We're super glad we joined the club. We even put our first mod on Roversaurus!

phobucket

Observer
Finally at a spot where I can get a bit of build going on my LR3. Just ordered rock sliders from tactical rovers (thanks, Eric!) and picked up seat covers from greenbullnbear. Hoping to get both of these installed and a couple of intererior fixes in before heading to Expo West in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the life of your new money pit full of adventures, you are gonna love it. If I was going to do it all over again, this would be my big item purchase order. The tool kits and repair kits are ongoing and never stop IMO.

1) I second the IID Tool from Gap Diagnostic. This should IMO be the very first purchase for anyone and considering I waited so long, use me as an example and buy this first. Bluetooth of course for your Ipad you might want as well.

2) Second this is most likely start saving for a good set of AT tires. Run out the ones you have now and save for the upcoming purchase. As you start to get more dirt under the tires, you'll want the added reliability of a good AT and everyone here is full of great opinions on use and function of preference.

3) Spare wheel and tire, full size with the plan to hang it off the rear bumper in the future.

4) Armor. specifically to protect the compressor and rocker panels. Your rig in its normal configuration can get you through the some crazy stuff in OEM configuration while you get the basics of learning to overland like you said. The above purchases I think will set you up for good reliability for the initial phases of some fun family off-roading and once you have them, some armor will get you rolling into some more intermediate to advanced stuff.

Stoked to see your build progress.......welcome to the site and Rover On Brother! :smiley_drive:

phobucket

Observer
Thanks, Victory. The threads here and the members of NorCal Rovers have been super helpful.

The IID tool definitely needs to happen sooner rather than later.

I prioritized some camping and safety basics over the last year of owning the car because not only are we new to overlanding, we're new to camping as well. Also, young boys and no garage can take a toll on the interior, so I am happy to be getting some protection on them before the summer.

I lucked out a bit on the tires since the car already came with decent AT tires and a full size spare - one which needs to be moved to the back bumper where it belongs ;) That will come after the IID tool.

Why do you recommend the rear bumper before the rock sliders or winch? I am concerned that I don't have enough recovery gear. (Read that as no recovery gear)

Why do you recommend the rear bumper before the rock sliders or winch? I am concerned that I don't have enough recovery gear. (Read that as no recovery gear)

It's just my opinion is all. Sliders are surely a necessity in the future. I've done a lot of off-roading and I would prefer my departure angle issues of a solid rear bumper and spare off the back. Ive torn the plastic bumper and parking sensors off a few times and if I had a full spare under there the rocks would have destroyed it. I've been able to negotiate around needing sliders on some good adventures but punctures are less predictable/avoidable than terrain selection for slider need IMO. Once you deal with a few tire replacements off road I think you will agree of its convenience and that's why I'm concentrating on the full spare and hanging it off the rear first before sliders. Either way you can't go wrong on which one you do first as they both need to happen eventually, just giving you my opinion on my decision.

phobucket

Observer
I've put in a few mods on the car in preparation for Overland Expo West.

First up, the LR roof rack got a haircut and I picked up a yakima skybox off of craigslist. We will eventually learn to pack lighter. No really :/

Then we installed sliders from Tactical Rovers. There were a few challenges on the install and I got a lot of online help from Dhappel and pedram NorCal Rovers, and a little help from my mechanic when I ran out of time. Did I mention I love being part of a Land Rover club?

fde7f2d97ea8918e6a3637010d7f85e4.jpg

I also picked up Escape Gear seat covers from greenbullnbear.

3420644eca017db8d91948c8d1fb95a1.jpg
6d3dc25e189c9151941436ed94e1927c.jpg

The kids and my girlfriend were a ton of help. Happy to have the family working on the car together.

I also passed my ham test :)
Started with a Yeasu FT-60R handheld. I haven't found a good location for the body mount and antenna I bought. Still sussing that out.

4512edbf6374438e80ddf1464a547a0f.jpg

Ready for more adventure this summer!

phobucket

Observer
Would you settle for a thousand miles and 3 windy nights of dirt? ;)

We're already sorting out plans to join the Mendo trip.

6f3fde3c5db54d00b99ab93db762d0f1.jpg

phobucket

Observer
After a year and a half of all work and no play I'm looking back and realizing my kids are not getting any younger - they're not even staying the same age. On the plus side, I have been saving up the scratch for upgrades. Time to get this adventure on the road again. Setting a goal of an Ouray trip this summer.

Upgrades to be completed in the next month. Ordering everything this week! :wings:
Lucky8LLC CFE front bumper . Does anyone know if a Superwinch Tiger shark 11500 will fit? Would this be a better choice than the warn VR12?
Tactical Rovers rear bumper with dual swing outs. Debating a dual swing out setup vs. getting a Front Runner extended range tank, but I suspect installing the aux tank setup is beyond my capabilities.
Lightweight storage system Building this with my son over the winter break using Perkj's thread as a reference.
BFG KO2 tires

phobucket

Observer
Answered my own question on the winch. Based on the specs pages, the SuperWinch and the Warn have the same mounting pattern. The Superwinch is slightly less wide and less tall than the Warn. Based on all of that, I'm going to order the Superwinch.

Ray_G

Explorer
I think you'll be happy with the superwinch; get the synthetic line version.

KO2's are fantastic tires for these trucks.

The rear swing away has purpose but detracts a bit from utility. My experience was that I appreciated the tire back there in case I had to change them & I liked having a rotopax there for cooking (water). However, the other 99.5% of the time the annoyance of opening it to get to the hatch and/or drop the tailgate is why it sits in the corner of the garage. I would just offer that it should be the last thing you do-after a fridge, a rack to move soft stuff up, etc.
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94