My first attempt at platform/storage solution *Jeep WJ*

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
I decided to tackle this project based on a few ideas I've seen on Expedition Portal and elsewhere. There are no plans or documented measurements as I just designed this on a cocktail napkin and constructed in the parking garage of my apartment (0/10, wouldn't recommend). I chose to use doors, instead of drawers, to keep the cost and weight REALLY low. The current iteration weighs less than 40 pounds and can be remove in less than 2 minutes. I plan to add a detachable platform that will allow a full size air mattress to be used while camping, that should be the easy part. Most materials are 1/2" birch with some very strategic supports to increase strength but again, keeping the weight minimal. Would love to hear any feedback as this is my first attempt at wood working (I'm generally more comfortable with metal fab).

6W8vD3z.jpg

zVZgIr6.jpg

SawbxO7.jpg

ikKpsOW.jpg

PspKDHJ.jpg

eO87WFJ.jpg

3vuIF2F.jpg

DVcBIZH.jpg

JCDriller

Adventurer
Nice job! Did you make it with any containers in mind? You may be able to find some nice plastic totes that will slide in and out at the container store.

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
Thought I'd update this post with some finished photos. I took it out "Urban Camping" in LA over the last 3 days. Surprisingly LA has loads of campgrounds on the outskirts of the city that made this really fun.

Original position, with the rear seats up and cargo cover.

KAZY6yU.jpg

Fold seats down, move platform extension into place.

YHo8jsL.jpg

Inflate air mattress.

IJwYECX.jpg

Enjoy the sunset and a quiet nights sleep, all without setting up a tent.

CYsHLWp.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Really clean, and flows well. I keep looking into something like this, however, I use the the old spare area, for storing things, like shackles, strap, jump cables, sealed up blanket, etc.

How is access to your spare compartment?

Chase

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
Really clean, and flows well. I keep looking into something like this, however, I use the the old spare area, for storing things, like shackles, strap, jump cables, sealed up blanket, etc.

How is access to your spare compartment?

Chase

Not bad. I can undo the turnbuckles and lift the box out of the way in about 15 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles