My first truck happens to be a 89 4runner!

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Yes you can use any ecu that is MT, but you need to make sure that the engine harness on the motor will match the ecu. Generally if the engine harness and ecu are from same year they will match. I would suggest getting the number off engine harness and find a ecu and get the number from that and give mike at ORS a call/email and ask him if the two are compatible. I am finishing up my 3.4 auto swap and I used a AT ecu from a 1998 T100 and the engine harness is from a 1999 4runner.

rustED

Adventurer
Nice work on the bumper, it turned out sweet! I was looking at their website, that Is a pretty reasonable price too!

knox

Observer
Really liking that plate bumper! Awesome work. Do you plan on making your own rear bumper as well?

I've been considering it. The owner at NW trail said he can send me a pair of of mounts if i want to make a rear. So I am thinking about it. But I've also been toying with the idea of just a rear bumper of some kind and then use a tire swing from potentially a 2nd gen 4runner or something equivalent and just brace the inside a little bit to prevent sagging.

Chaser88

Observer
I've been considering it. The owner at NW trail said he can send me a pair of of mounts if i want to make a rear. So I am thinking about it. But I've also been toying with the idea of just a rear bumper of some kind and then use a tire swing from potentially a 2nd gen 4runner or something equivalent and just brace the inside a little bit to prevent sagging.

Cool idea! I've seen a couple guys who have done the same. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Yes you can use any ecu that is MT, but you need to make sure that the engine harness on the motor will match the ecu. Generally if the engine harness and ecu are from same year they will match. I would suggest getting the number off engine harness and find a ecu and get the number from that and give mike at ORS a call/email and ask him if the two are compatible. I am finishing up my 3.4 auto swap and I used a AT ecu from a 1998 T100 and the engine harness is from a 1999 4runner.

Knox, does your engine have a harness at all? I got the impression that it didn't. If that's the case, you'll need to find one. The ORS harness is simply an adapter they wire up according to your truck's body harness and whatever recipient harness/ecu is on the motor. I think it's also pretty important that the harness and ecu are, at bare minimum, from the same year truck- not sure if Tacoma vs 4runner matters or not but I kind of don't think so.

I also highly recommend doing the wiring yourself. It's just NOT THAT hard and you will learn a ton about your swap and save a bunch of money. There are enough resources on YT to practically hold your hand the whole way through. I am a self proclaimed electrical neophyte but after enough reading and staring at the EWD's it all came together. Mine started first try.

Also, depending on your state's emission situation, you may not even have to worry about finding a manual harness and ECU. My swap was from an auto '98 4runner and I chose to run all the auto stuff until I find a deal on a MT ecu. Haven't found one yet and it runs like a champ. I've unplugged the CEL since it's on all the time looking for the transmission. I check it periodically to see if any fresh codes have appeared and so far so good.

knox

Observer
Knox, does your engine have a harness at all? I got the impression that it didn't. If that's the case, you'll need to find one. The ORS harness is simply an adapter they wire up according to your truck's body harness and whatever recipient harness/ecu is on the motor. I think it's also pretty important that the harness and ecu are, at bare minimum, from the same year truck- not sure if Tacoma vs 4runner matters or not but I kind of don't think so.

I also highly recommend doing the wiring yourself. It's just NOT THAT hard and you will learn a ton about your swap and save a bunch of money. There are enough resources on YT to practically hold your hand the whole way through. I am a self proclaimed electrical neophyte but after enough reading and staring at the EWD's it all came together. Mine started first try.

Also, depending on your state's emission situation, you may not even have to worry about finding a manual harness and ECU. My swap was from an auto '98 4runner and I chose to run all the auto stuff until I find a deal on a MT ecu. Haven't found one yet and it runs like a champ. I've unplugged the CEL since it's on all the time looking for the transmission. I check it periodically to see if any fresh codes have appeared and so far so good.

Yes it came with the engine harness. but he cut it at, im guess were it meets the dash harness. I actually have a job in wiring but not sure I want to bring home the work yet. I have no emission standards that i need to worry about.

knox

Observer
So I left you guys hanging. I sold it to my friend for what was a very reasonable price. I bought a yj because i was talked into by a jeep buddy. Huge misatke for me. I'm going to look at a 2nd gen tomorrow and probably get my front bumper back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles