My Jeep JKU dual battery tray install.

HAFICON

Adventurer
First part review, Tray is pretty good quality I could not see paying the money for the Genesis tray when I can build my own may set up. May not be cheaper but will be the way I want it.

So the instructions are terrible, and the videos Mountain off road has made is not much better they skip over some important steps and don't use the best method for a few things. Maybe they did cover it all and I just missed it but if you have ever tried to watch their video from start to finish then you would understand how it is hard to keep focused.

Their video:
A lot of repeating information slow drug out process but it will get you through an install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uQUdvV4mA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huY-HgrvQdw

Well my recommendation's may be horrible but they work for me, hopefully if you should decide to install this tray some of this info will help you.

Starting off with my 2012 JKU: Total install time was about 3.5 hours I took my time.
1_zps791daef6.jpg

The tray out of the box, quality is pretty good, tray is solid.
20140926_210354_zps26181655.jpg

One step they covered later was removing this nut, I highly recommend removing it before you try to lift the box out, they showed you doing it later and results in fighting and stressing the wire.
c5cc2658-e847-4e39-b47d-dc4e2d31ace3_zps7b9ba64a.jpg

So got the old tray out up to this point it is pretty straight forward, just tie off all the connectors. Be very careful removing the connectors from the bottom of the box they are easy to break I know.. The video did cover this pretty well. But I still broke one.

So with the box out you want to cut it, I suggest following the line they suggest in the video and then modify from their if needed.

The part of the tray you retain:

The cut M.O.R.E. suggested:

They suggest you wallow out these two hole to allow the trays to fit together. I missed that in the video and glad I did I think my way was might more effective.

I made additional cuts to be trays this cut allows the trays to sit not only closely together but to inner lock on one another. No need to wallow out the holes if you use my method. Also it helps support the back of the air box tray.

No loss of space with in the tray but edges fit together very smoothly. I like it.

So this is another step they did not mention or even suggest. I cut a hole in this after it was installed I would recommend making this hole before you install the tray.

The hole makes for clean wiring.

In the install video they ran the wires out of here, that would work but it takes up room with in the battery tray.

With re-installing I would suggest put this back on last. Just make sure you pull it up above the fuse box before you latch it down:

Aother change I did was I did not like how the harness mounted:

So I moved this like it is right above the ignition coil, I just moved the evap hose down to the lower hose added chaffing gear and put the plug in the top hole. Plug will not fit in the bottom hole it hits the battery box.

Evap hose is blue arrow plug relocation it the red arrow.

Now to the part they did not cover in the video very well. The EVAP hoses have to be separated they do this i the video but do not explain it as a step. This took a little bit to figure out but these hoses can be discarded.

Not a great picture and out of order but I edited it and added red and blue arrows to show where the hoses normally got. The EVAP solenoid is not really in the picture but this is the section of hose that would be tossed out.

All properly installed and CLEAN.. I am OCD kinda bad. Wiring has to be clean neat and organized. That is why I chose to drill a hole below the fuse box rather than run them through the battery tray. also making a hole gives you a little more slack for placement of wires.

So I went to pick up my batteries and the store only had one of the two. I chose to go with 34m Die Hard Platinum. Battery fits in the tray really well with some room left over.

Well that pretty well wraps up my write up/review, I am not really good at creating great write up I just try to hit the high points and what I feel is important no need to cover what is already covered in the install instructions. I am however starting to build a battery cover/ hold down It will look similar to this this is not a Jeep engine bay but shows the basic design I am following.

My hold down will have two solenoids mounted to it one for battery isolation and one for winch isolation so I can turn the power on and off to my winch just for safety reasons. Winch is rated about about 450amps at full load, the solenoid I chose is rated 500amp continuous duty, 750amp spike. When I get my 2nd battery installed I will hopefully have the hold down built and all the wiring complete. If you have bee considering a dual battery set up hope this helped you decide.

Last edited:

au bronc n jk

installation looks great.. dual batteries are on my short list of future mods! I'm thinking about going with the Genesis offroad and the national luna dual battery monitor in the cab.

Yuccahead

Adventurer
Thanks. Nice pictures. Between the high price of the Genesis and the difficulties (I think) I have read that others have had with the MORE kit, I had put a dual battery system on the back burner.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well Yuccahead, the MORE kit is not difficult you just have to take your time, their are no really good instructions but now that I have completed it I would recommend it.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
How are you working with the short battery cables? I had a AGM battery that I thought I was going to be able to use but the 2012-2014's have that silly short pos. battery cable that's opposite from almost every battery out there.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Actually the problem I have is the cables are two long. Going to have to change the factory post. Once I get the other batter I will post a picture.

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
How are you working with the short battery cables? I had a AGM battery that I thought I was going to be able to use but the 2012-2014's have that silly short pos. battery cable that's opposite from almost every battery out there.

It is short but it does reach, at least with the Diehard Platinum. I also added Quadratec's Extreme battery terminals to allow for the winch and aux fuse box attachments.

Not the greatest picture but gives an idea:
i-C2nNsp9-L.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
Dstock, thanks for the post, what battery terminals are you running? Also what group battery did you go with?

But for wiring the rear battery will connect to the positive cable and the front battery will connect the negative cable. Then the negative between the two batteries will be hard wired. The positive will have the isolation solenoid between the two so only one is online for normal use.

dstock

Explorer
Dstock, thanks for the post, what battery terminals are you running? Also what group battery did you go with?

But for wiring the rear battery will connect to the positive cable and the front battery will connect the negative cable. Then the negative between the two batteries will be hard wired. The positive will have the isolation solenoid between the two so only one is online for normal use.

They are 2 group 34's. My main battery is closest to the firewall. The National Luna system is wired such that the factory battery cables go to the main battery. The positive for the Aux comes off the main and through the Intelligent Solenoid to the pos on the aux battery. The neg from main goes neg to aux directly. Upon shut down of the engine, as voltage drops on main, the solenoid disconnects, usually within about 30 secs. separating the aux battery.

The terminals I added to the factory ones (my winch is connected to the main) are these:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_9003.htm

HAFICON

Adventurer
OK thanks.. I was looking into the 34/78 as that is what they had on the shelf. But the 34M was only $189 on sale and double top post, great specifications, and for my intended use I think the marine grade battery will serve me well.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Hard to understand at this time but got the frame of my battery hold down built.

White area is to be removed.

Frame cut out, this will bolt across the top of the batteries, on the left where it angles in is a OEM battery tray bolt hole will be re-used , also it is angled to follow the body line of the fender frame. On the other side will be a section of insulated all thread holding down the side closest to the engine, going to get it on the band saw and straighten out a few cuts but coming out nice.

Edit: could not resist I had to go take a photo of it in place. The OEM bolt is sill installed so the bracket did not sit flush but hopefully my 2nd battery will be here Friday and I can get this fully installed.

Once I get my isolation solenoids I will build and mount tabs for them. and up date with better pictures.

Last edited:

HAFICON

Adventurer
So I finally got back in port for a little while been a crazy week. So I ran by Sears picked up my other battery, got my battery terminals and cable.

First thing is test fit the batteries: To my surprise the battery cables are on the long side, I was agraid I would have to stretch them. Also the negative post on this style battery is smaller than the OEM cable will go so looks like I will have to up o a new end there to.

My solenoids was waiting on me as well: (these things are HUGE)

The hold down I am working on, All I have is a chop saw so was kinda tricky but I got it cut out did not come out the way I planned but I may build another one later.

Options for placement of solenoids :

This is the one I chose:

Drilled a hole in the tray and double nut locked the all thread in place then covered with 3/8 hose for chaffing protection.

This should have been one piece but I cut it short.

Welded the studs in place from the bottom. these will hold the solenoids

This is about as far as I got tonight. working on building wiring. gonna make sure everything is good then pull the hold down and paint it. I have some left over Deep Cheery Red to match the engine bay so gonna do that.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looks like it is coming along great!
Really like your attention to detail.
I was pretty convinced on using the Genesis setup, until this thread.
I could make it to your place in about 4 days. Ready to do another one?... LOL

Great work! :beer:

HAFICON

Adventurer
Looks like it is coming along great!
Really like your attention to detail.
I was pretty convinced on using the Genesis setup, until this thread.
I could make it to your place in about 4 days. Ready to do another one?... LOL

Great work! :beer:

Thanks, this install was very easy I took my time and drove the wife's car a lot. The Genesis set up is really great but $$$$ they want $250 for the tray with out any wiring. I went to Napa auto and bought a 69" battery cable in red and black. It was cheaper to buy these and cut them to length than buy just wire. All my connections are soldered, anti-seize for anti corrosive, and heat shrank.

Tray: $135
Batteries: $189 x2
Solenoids: $48.50 x2
Cable: $14
Cable ends: $6
Military Spec lead battery terminals : $18
Metal for hold down and all thread: $20

Patience and attention to detail: Priceless

I still have to straighten up wiring up some. Going to shorten the red cable going to the rear battery. Also when my last set of terminals come in I will fasten down the cross connect ground wire it will run buy the rear solenoid and tie into the ground post from the opposite side that it is at now.
Well I am almost finished.. got some minor details and it will be 100% complete.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles