My Journey

ITTOG

Sorry to hear about your situation with the friend. Sounds like you are comfortable moving on but like others, I hope things will turn out as time goes by. I envy your situation and more importantly your spirit to wonder. While I long for the opportunity, I am not sure I can do it any time soon. My kids and wife are in a stage where a lot of change is occurring and I wouldn't want to miss any of it. But in the end, that will just delay my freedom to travel without an end date in mind. God Bless you, your friend, and the dogs.

Happy trails and I look forward to more pictures and stories.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I full timed for 8.5 years and finally decided to settle down. After several weeks of searching I finally found a good place. It was about a month between my offer and closure. I clearly remember the same anxiety and even hesitated at final signing. But I went ahead with it and have no regrets. I still find time and money to travel a lot. The biggest difference is now having to make that mortgage payment until I’m 99 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgil

If my notes are correct, today is significant?
Happy birthday! May your travels be safe and your troubles be few!
Keep on keeping on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg.....your last line.....exactly.....

Furbucket.....I'm still in the market and that experience taught me precisely what my price point is.....

Vintageracer.....life goes on.....

JD.....I had to Google Gravely Range Road and that looks like an outstanding ride. I actually looked at cabins near Ennis and Virginia City. The Madison River is one of my favorites and your timing should be perfect. Hoping you write up a trip report.....

Tgil.....thanks.....

ITTOG.....the fondest days of my long life were when I raised my two sons. Travel is an amazing experience but the relationships I had with my sons could never be surpassed by anything.....

Ace.....the mortgage payment is not for me.....

And so it is that I've left the drama behind but my search for a cabin will not end......

We left Gallatin Valley behind and we drove west.....we reached the Continental Divide and camped up high as the temperatures here in western Montana are hovering around ninety. The following day we descended from the mountain pass and continued west. The highway runs parallel to the Clark Fork and as you may have guessed we soon stopped for a refreshing dip in the cool clear river waters.....

20190902_144754-1600x778.jpg

20190902_144451-1600x778.jpg

My guess is that the cool nighttime temperatures are causing the fall color changes to the riverside plants.....or maybe the plants are just tired as we approach the end of the summer season and are preparing themselves for the long winter season.....

20190902_144740-1600x778.jpg

The dogs found a great mud hole to lounge in.....

20190902_135356-1600x778.jpg

I met a group of young people that told me about some hot springs nearby but by the end of our conversation it was revealed that they were really warm springs.....which was fine by me. The dogs and I.....we hiked about 15 minutes and approached the warm springs.....

20190902_180335-1600x778.jpg

20190902_174007-778x1600.jpg

I found the water here to be cool at best but now that those daily hot showers are not a part of my life I enjoy what I'm given.....and really how could I complain about this.....

20190902_175617-1600x778.jpg

We drove into the national forest and found the perfect spot up a canyon along a rambling brook.....

20190903_072315-1600x778.jpg

We ended another day in Montana as we often do while on the road.....we took a hike up a steep mountainside to take in the views of a setting sun.....

20190902_201321-1600x778.jpg

We would continue west.....

20190902_124341-1600x778.jpg

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Troublesome internet at sea, which in itself is amazing! We are currently Anchored in Herendeen Bay, off the Aleutian islands. I am counting down the days until i am reunited with my freedom, truck camper and dog.

I am happy with this new career path, and the opportunities it will provide in the way of freedom and travel. We will be here about a month, as is we have been here two days and already had to do sutures.

happy trails ad safe travels

PNWY.....once again I was back to Google to check out your newest location. There's not much to be found on Herendeen Bay, Alaska. How about posting a few pictures of your boat as I'm curious what you're living on. Stay safe.....

Arjan.....love those dog pictures. Thanks.....

Now that we had made it to Missoula, Montana and the Bitterroot Mountains, it was once again time to head out and check out some Montana log cabins.....

20190903_183502-1200x2469.jpg

I had a list with 6 log cabins that I wanted to visit and after a full day of searching, the first 5 cabins were not even close to what I envision being my dream log cabin. Things changed on the 6th cabin, our last cabin of the day.....

20190903_182159-1600x778.jpg

This cabin was constructed in 1946, 3 years older than the other cabin that I had fell in love with. This cabin came with tons of interesting history and I connected with this log cabin almost immediately.....

20190903_182139-1600x778.jpg

This one was much smaller.....just one bedroom and that's really all I require.....

20190903_181757-1200x2469.jpg

Most interesting about this particular cabin is that it's heated with water that comes directly from a nearby hot spring which releases water at a temperature of 120 degrees. There's a series of pipes that run throughout the crawl space, and that system is supplemented with baseboard heat and one magnificent stone fireplace if ever required.....

20190903_181516-1200x2469.jpg

20190903_183228-2469x1200.jpg

Most houses have hot water heaters but not this one.....it actually has the opposite.....a water cooler was installed for tap water (and yes, it has a bit of a sulfur odor and is not suitable for drinking).....

20190903_183544-1200x2469.jpg

Unfortunately the property has some issues that the sellers prefer not to deal with, so I decided to move on and continue the life on the road.....

20190905_145457-1200x2469.jpg

I've got a few more things planned for the next few weeks.....then we will begin to once again wander around aimlessly.....hiking, swimming, exploring and of course, always reading a good book.....

Someone once asked me if I staged my photos and for the most part (and I can't stress that enough).....never. Don't ask me how that dog managed to end up with that book.....I swear that I didn't stage this one either.....

20190903_081005-1200x2469.jpg

We left Missoula and drove north.....off to reconnect with some friends.....

20190906_194513-1600x778.jpg

tgil

I think I'm about half way through. Really enjoying reading about your past travels and trying to stay current as well!
Keep on keeping on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Foy

Explorer
Are you free to reveal the location of the hot spring-heated cabin? I've got a couple of ideas as to where it may be but will not butt in in case it's better left unmentioned in this public forum.

Foy

jadmt

ignore button user
Are you free to reveal the location of the hot spring-heated cabin? I've got a couple of ideas as to where it may be but will not butt in in case it's better left unmentioned in this public forum.

Foy
looks like up hwy 12 to me.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
Greg.....your last line.....exactly.....

Furbucket.....I'm still in the market and that experience taught me precisely what my price point is.....

Vintageracer.....life goes on.....

JD.....I had to Google Gravely Range Road and that looks like an outstanding ride. I actually looked at cabins near Ennis and Virginia City. The Madison River is one of my favorites and your timing should be perfect. Hoping you write up a trip report.....

Tgil.....thanks.....

ITTOG.....the fondest days of my long life were when I raised my two sons. Travel is an amazing experience but the relationships I had with my sons could never be surpassed by anything.....

Ace.....the mortgage payment is not for me.....

And so it is that I've left the drama behind but my search for a cabin will not end......

We left Gallatin Valley behind and we drove west.....we reached the Continental Divide and camped up high as the temperatures here in western Montana are hovering around ninety. The following day we descended from the mountain pass and continued west. The highway runs parallel to the Clark Fork and as you may have guessed we soon stopped for a refreshing dip in the cool clear river waters.....

View attachment 536599

View attachment 536600

My guess is that the cool nighttime temperatures are causing the fall color changes to the riverside plants.....or maybe the plants are just tired as we approach the end of the summer season and are preparing themselves for the long winter season.....

View attachment 536601

The dogs found a great mud hole to lounge in.....

View attachment 536602

I met a group of young people that told me about some hot springs nearby but by the end of our conversation it was revealed that they were really warm springs.....which was fine by me. The dogs and I.....we hiked about 15 minutes and approached the warm springs.....

View attachment 536603

View attachment 536604

I found the water here to be cool at best but now that those daily hot showers are not a part of my life I enjoy what I'm given.....and really how could I complain about this.....

View attachment 536605

We drove into the national forest and found the perfect spot up a canyon along a rambling brook.....

View attachment 536606

We ended another day in Montana as we often do while on the road.....we took a hike up a steep mountainside to take in the views of a setting sun.....

We would continue west.....

I spent many hours at Nimrod swimming when I was younger. definitely not hot or even really warm. There used to be some good size bass i there. If you swim under the rock you come up in a cave. Used to feak people out if they did not know about it as you would jump in swim under and disappear.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
JD:

Happy to do so, The Gordon Jensen, was built in 1947 for the navy as a damage repair ship. Eventually she made her way into a fish processing vessel. About 320ft long, ish.

When she was with the navy USS Zeus

We move folks from vessel to vessel in this man basket cage,

Currently have a tramper ( Poohah #2 ) married to out port side for the month. Although the way product is coming in, it may be quicker as its slow. She would be on the left from the bridge view. as we are anchored in the current bay. True, not much is here. Port Moller is about 4 water miles away, but has a peter pan plant closed down, and an airstrip.

The Gordon in Dutch Harbor when they picked me up.

The Helo deck,

IMG_20190828_2157190.jpgIMG_20190904_1130048.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture5.jpg

Last edited:
Tgil.....I've enjoyed posting and it's great that you enjoy reading this stuff.....

Foy.....obviously jadmt found the correct property. Yesterday (thru my agent) I received a letter from the sellers with a brief history of the cabin.....most amazing story. The woman speaks about her grandfather vacationing at the nearby hot springs nearly a century ago and building this log cabin in the mid 40's. She grew up visiting the place and eventually inherited it. Now decades have passed and it's her time to let it go. Unfortunate it has the issues that make it such a huge risk.....

jadmt.....you're correct on both counts. I'm assuming that you are from Missoula ? I couldn't recall the name of the springs when I posted but it was definitely Nimrod. I've seen the waterfall numerous times from the highway, actually have camped nearby, have swam in the river upstream, but had never stopped at the waterfalls until now. I sure wished they were steaming hot ! (it's now been 10 days since I've showered).....

PNWY.....that's cool stuff that you're into now and I get that whole thing about getting home. I'm missing that part of travel.....getting home.....

We left Missoula driving west on the interstate and then drove north up Highway 93. I had a destination in my mind but that destination will be further along since this thought passed through my mind that I was near the Garden of One Thousand Buddhas. Well I had enjoyed this place in the past so I made a U-turn and eventually pulled into their gravel lot.....

20190905_135932-778x1600.jpg

20190905_135236-1600x778.jpg

20190905_140258-778x1600.jpg

20190905_140442-778x1600.jpg

20190905_142557-778x1600.jpg

This is a really chill place to hang out and so it was that I would spend three days visiting this site. You might wonder how I could spend so much time here.....I wondered the same.....

20190905_135334-778x1600.jpg

20190905_142535-1600x778.jpg

20190905_150238-778x1600.jpg

20190905_142515-1600x778.jpg

20190905_150046-1600x778.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94