My Journey

longhorn1

Observer
Funny, I spent 2 hours yesterday removing decals on our camper in anticipation of selling after the first of the year. Some of that adhesive took 3-4 tried before I got it off, washed and waxed. Well that task is complete. The house is looking great.

vintageracer.....I still live in the truck camper.....that's the real home sweet home.....at least for now anyhow.....thanks for following along.....

pkripper.....thanks so much.....it's been quite the "journey".....

jgaz.....I sure hope this doesn't come off as bragging since all I did was cut the old boards and nail them together to make the bookcases.....but they actually look better in person than they do in the pictures.....I love them.....thank you very much.....

Ace.....I'm torn between staying and getting back onto the road.....but this has always been my life.....always moving.....always moving.....always torn by indecisions & decisions made as well.....

Halseyt.....that's funny cause I thought the exact same thing when I read that.....

flyboyaviator.....yea.....Tanner definitely.....Trapper not sure.....thanks.....

blanketslayer.....certainly wasn't a typical build project for XP but you guys asked for it and I enjoyed posting.....win / win for sure.....thanks.....

JD.....thanks.....

October 1, 2021.....this morning I received an email from Tom.....for those of you that follow this thread you'll remember Tom as the guy that I met earlier this year while on the road.....Tom helped me with the design of a new rig and did the amazing renderings for me of a new adventure rig (which of course I never built). Anyhow he attached a link to a story about a young man that I have admired.....I had told Tom to watch his videos.....Iohan Gueorguiev. Unfortunately this is a story of Iohan taking his own life on August 19, 2021.....link attached. I had mentioned Iohan on this thread before and I recommended that you watch his videos. I never knew the guy.....I sure wish I did. I wish there was a way that I could have helped him.....he was a true adventurer.....I think he was what we all dream to be.....the world lost a good one.....a sad day indeed.....

20211001_085958_copy_1600x900.jpg

I'm constantly watching the 10 day weather forecast which is actually a 14 day weather forecast.....I haven't figured that one out quite yet but anyhow.....this week will present a whole new weather pattern here in southwest Montana with highs in the lower 40's and lows in the lower 20's.....with some rain & of course cloudy skies. These are the type of forecasts that makes a man (& his dogs) want to head south.....

So I've been wrapping up the outdoor stuff in preparation for the cold rain.....and a day in the barn.....an additional workbench.....

20211003_122652_copy_1600x900.jpg

Lots of straightening up of things and one last pile for the landfill.....

20211003_122815_copy_1600x900.jpg

20211003_122707_copy_1600x900.jpg

I hauled more wood to the hoarders house helping him to prepare for the upcoming winter weather.....

20211003_092706_copy_1600x2844.jpg

That man continues to collect things.....he's particular about the price he's willing to pay.....

20211003_094448_copy_1600x2844.jpg

Me.....I'm a less is more kind of guy.....the hoarder.....not so much.....

20211003_094502_copy_1600x900.jpg

My buddy came by to add an additional rain chain to the front corner of Base Camp.....it just didn't seem balanced before.....Base Camp seemed to lean to the left.....

20211003_075308_copy_1600x2844.jpg

While he was here he convinced me to add yet one more.....now all four corners of Base Camp have chains.....two will actually work.....two are only for the good looks.....

20211003_075338_copy_1600x2844.jpg

The entryway got a new look too.....I just wasn't happy with that bicycle thing.....now Base Camp has more of a cabin look.....at least it does in my mind.....

20211003_075411_copy_1600x2844.jpg

October 18, 2021 is our planned date of departure.....but that's nothing more than a plan.....

20211003_075252_copy_1600x900.jpg

Last edited:

ITTOG

The place looks great.

I noticed that shoe fetish in the barn. How many will you take with you when you depart. Happy trails!

tgil

Man, what an inviting place you have put together there! Love the old tags and boots in the barn. My first thought was the miles and stories that hang there!
I'm green with envy!
I thought about you, and your winter plans, yesterday evening as I looked through some Big Bend info. Being a life resident of Texas, I've never been out there, but do have a short trip planned at the end of the year. If you, or anyone else that follows this thread, want to share some must see spots, shoot me a message so we don't de-rail your thread.

Last edited:
ITTOG.....shoe fetish ? I don't see it. I'm more in line with tgil & my oldest son.....their comments were quite similar. I just feel so strongly that real adventure on land only is gained through hard work.....I guess I'll never get the whole going on an expedition in a vehicle thing. My adventures have generally begun once my feet hit the earth. That's what works for me & I don't much care what others think.....and that somewhat explains my love for my boots.....

Regarding boots.....well, REI disappointed me this year and didn't have La Sportiva boots on sale Memorial Day weekend so I'll only have 2 pair for the winter season. I just started on a new pair & I have one pair still in the box. My groin injury never healed so I hope to reduce my mileage on this trip & for all of 2021. 2019 & 2020 were 5,000 mile plus years.....2021 will not be.....

tgil.....yea, I kinda enjoy passing by those old boots hanging in there and they do indeed bring back fond memories. Now that I'm well into the winter of my life, fond memories seem to become even more important to me. My expedition backpack & my first backpack ever that I used to hitchhike thru South America decades ago also hang in the barn and they too have the same effect on me.....my little museum.....I love that little barn.....once filled with horsesh*t.....now filled with my memories.....

Base Camp will be predominantly heated by a propane stove located in the "great room". I had initially planned to do the install myself but once the stove arrived and I gleamed through the instruction manual I almost immediately had second thoughts (fire & explosion came to mind). Finding a professional installer at this time of year in this town I knew would be nearly impossible, but I succeeded in getting someone to come here......

20210928_125918_copy_1600x900.jpg

That stove was delivered damaged & without all the parts required for the install.....additional parts have since been shipped and hopefully the install will be completed today. I sure do like the look of the stove.....there are currently no plans to use the stove in 2021.....

20210930_165537_copy_1200x675.jpg

I've been unpacking boxes and have pretty much completed decorating Base Camp.....

20210930_165608_copy_1200x675.jpg

I built some shelves in the kitchen using the same old wood that I found in the barn & that I had used to construct the bookcases.....

20210920_135324_copy_1200x675.jpg

The brackets were ordered online & were handmade by a blacksmith in upstate New York.....they are the ********.....

20210920_135351_copy_1200x2133.jpg

The granite countertop is simple.....I didn't want it to be a big part of the room.....the hickory kitchen cabinets.....well, I just wanted a change from all the grey.....

20210930_165639_copy_1200x675.jpg

20210930_165614_copy_1200x675.jpg

I'd say with Base Camp at 98 % complete that I now spend much more of my days thinking about & preparing for life on the road again. Now the weather forecast has changed again.....highs next week in the upper 30's and snow showers for 3 straight days.....so the dogs got their last baths of the summer (?) season.....Trapper is pretty good about getting me the water hose (seriously).....

20211005_135911_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Hmmmm.....an after bath picture.....something obviously went wrong here.....

20211005_131245_copy_1200x675.jpg

Do dogs understand what's going on around them ? I really have to wonder as Tanner spends more & more of his day laying in the front seat of the Jeep.....he seems so ready to hit the road.....eleven days to go.....

20210930_082841_copy_1200x2133.jpg

mekcanix

Camper
Morning Jerry, Tanner and Trapper

I couldn't agree more with your statement about the boots and how the adventure hits once your boots hit the ground. I treasure my adventure of the last 13 years even though the pale greatly in comparison to your adventure, they are still mine and the memories are still my treasures. My camper is our base camp and my wife and I our embarking on more and more hikes each summer. And even in your cabin build you are still inspiring me. So as I have said many times please keep on posting what ever it is your doing, you seem to have a gift for taking me away from my day job even for short moments.

Thanks Muchly

John

tgil

I like your style! Tanner...like Scout, usually waiting for the next ride! Trapper, yeah, that's typical of Scout too!

ITTOG

Looks awesome, but not so much for traveling. Hopefully you are in a warmer local now and enjoying the sun on your face and maybe bagging that first peak. Hopefully your groin injury has healed enough that you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior