My LR3 lightweight storage platform build (UPDATED: actual dimensions on pg 4)

I love the starboard but it is heavy! That's why I went with 1/2".
r-
Ray

Yeah, I have the 1/2" full sheet too. I planned to use the 3/4" for vertical supporting with lightening holes but now seeing your aluminum frame design I think it might be more viable to run more cross supports under the platform. I think the manufacturer recommends support for 1/2" load-bearing flat surfaces at 18-20" if I remember correctly. That may be overkill, however, I do notice a bit of sagging on the starboard during high heat when leaned up against the side of the garage, but that is only over the length of the entire 96" sheet so panels bolted down I am sure you are not seeing any sag at all.

Ray_G

Explorer
Yeah, my intervals are smaller and absolutely no sag even with tool peli and BROG recovery on it. Between using 3/4 starboard or just getting some more aluminum and appropriate fittings I’d go with a little more extube.
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, my intervals are smaller and absolutely no sag even with tool peli and BROG recovery on it. Between using 3/4 starboard or just getting some more aluminum and appropriate fittings I’d go with a little more extube.
R-
Ray

Good info!

R-
Ray

Are you bolting yours together or is the friction lock on the fittings enough when you hammer them on? The reason I ask is that I am looking to get the basic platform down in the next few weeks and then be able to modify as I need to for the drawer system I want to build. I need to have the platform done by the time the Western Rally comes around because I do not want to take my RTT (Plan to sleep inside and take my Tent-Kot for outside) since we will be trail running daily.

Point is, is there any wobble without fasteners or is it sturdy and able to be separated at a later date without too much pain?

Ray_G

Explorer
Are you bolting yours together or is the friction lock on the fittings enough when you hammer them on? The reason I ask is that I am looking to get the basic platform down in the next few weeks and then be able to modify as I need to for the drawer system I want to build. I need to have the platform done by the time the Western Rally comes around because I do not want to take my RTT (Plan to sleep inside and take my Tent-Kot for outside) since we will be trail running daily.

Point is, is there any wobble without fasteners or is it sturdy and able to be separated at a later date without too much pain?

So mine is friction, no quick-lock nor did I then bolt it together for added security. (I did bolt down the other aspects of course, i.e. I drilled and tapped the slats running across the floor that affix it to the L-track, and I bolted down the starboard using the L-track there too)

There is no wobble-and to get them apart I ended up using a hydraulic jack when I messed up the height and then needed to trim it down...so it isn't too much pain, but certainly not easy either.
r-
Ray

Ilatak

So I'm another in the list of folks who watched perkj's initial postings and thought "I'd like to do something like that." I dwelled on it all for a long time but bit the bullet recently when I realized we wanted to have partial shelf setup with room on the other side for our primary cooking gear and such. In particular, I wanted to have the ability to strap down my tool setup, some recovery gear, and eventually mount a powertank and rotopax while also having the ability to quickly slide our camp chairs and tables in/out without having the restrain them. At least that was my logic.

So in my typical way, I turned to graph paper and did a sketch to scale.
View attachment 456425
Using the measurements and a sketch of the aluminum frame, I ordered the parts from EZtube. I went with the plastic connectors and just cut the lengths of tube myself. To mount the shelf I decided to use cross pieces under the frame that would bolt into the L-track I have fitted via double lug threaded studs. Continuing with that theme, I grabbed some more L-track for the shelf itself which I decided to use black starboard for because I wanted something durable that wasn't painted metal, wood, nor carpeted. Initial confirmation that the graph paper mockup of key bits was correct.
View attachment 456426
Then making sure the top would work out in some form/fashion.
View attachment 456427
Installed L-track on the top to allow for lashing down items with flexibility.
View attachment 456428
Frame elements put together before painting to confirm fit.
View attachment 456429
Testing out that our two camping tables and two camp chairs will fit into the space allotted.
View attachment 456431
Then validated that our pelican case holding the volcano along with our two wolfpacks (K1 & K2) would all fit into the right side of the cargo area too.
View attachment 456430
Paint has now cured, its all bolted together and in the truck for some test runs to check for rattles and functionality. Next step will be improving on the lashing system, installing a powertank and rotopax at the far aft end, etc.
View attachment 456432

All told, as others have noted, a solid find by Perkj with a lot of inherent flexibility for the end user to make what they need in a lightweight but durable form. I'm very happy with the overall product and look forward to shaking the truck down with it this fall/next spring.
r-
Ray

Ray,

Quick question, what is the point if the silver plate covering the area of third row seat? Is it there because you have removed the third row seat? What do you have under there?

Just looking for details

Thanks

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray,

Quick question, what is the point if the silver plate covering the area of third row seat? Is it there because you have removed the third row seat? What do you have under there?

Just looking for details

Thanks

Hmm, the pic may have sheen on the black rubber diamond plate mat if that's what you are describing (so not silver, just shiny). My 3rd row seats remain in place-folded flat and then the frame for the shelf bolted down on top of that 'custom' cargo area covering mat.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior