My M1101 and M1102 Buying Experience and Build Thread

RagnarD

Adventurer
I assume the dent you are referring to is on the side of the top rail?

I saw it in the pics from the auction link. Every trailer I have gotten from hood has had that dent. Must be how they move them around.

I assume the dent you are referring to is on the side of the top rail?

I saw it in the pics from the auction link. Every trailer I have gotten from hood has had that dent. Must be how they move them around.

Yes, I am very sad about the dent. I LOVE my wife, she is the one who said buy two in the first place, but even she rolled her eyes when I said "I'll just have to buy a 3rd one!" I'm a photographer, so little things bother me to death! The brakes even seam a little smoother on the M1102, and she like the first one, so I've talked myself into keeping it instead. I don't want to give out too many spoilers on my build, but I am going to use Tan/Coyote Bed Liner on the bed anyway, which will hide the scratches in the bed, as well as bedliner in patches on the front corners to protect from rock chips.

8 Lug Compatible Wheels

I've been looking for some Chevy or Dodge 8 Lug (8x6.5" pattern) wheels to replace the HMMWV wheels. As I drove past a new/used tire store, I thought I'd stop and see if they had any 8 Lug Wheels that would fit. Sure enough, they had a set of Aluminum Hummer H2 wheels they have had for quite some time. I asked how much, and they gave me all 4 wheels for $150! A set of 4x sell used for $400-$500 online. They put used tires on two of the wheels for $10 each, and installed them for free! The center caps say "HUMMER" on them, but don't fit when installed on the trailer. However, the 4x center caps sell used online for $30 a set. Told my wife I have no choice but to buy a 3rd trailer because no one will want just 2x Hummer Wheels! Muhahaha

Because they are aluminum wheels, I had the military lugs replaced with some lugs compatible with Aluminum wheels.

NOTE: The H2 Hummer had 8 Lug (8x6.5" pattern) Wheels, but the H3 Hummer has 6 lug wheels that obviously will not work.

IMG_1005.jpgIMG_0980.jpgIMG_0981.jpg

Last edited:

ramsport59

Observer
Any 8 lug wheel will not work. Ford Superdutys from around 1999 and newer is a different metric bolt pattern. And I believe the 2014 or 2015 Chevys changed patterns too. Any 8x6.5" pattern wheel will fit.

Rick

Any 8 lug wheel will not work. Ford Superdutys from around 1999 and newer is a different metric bolt pattern. And I believe the 2014 or 2015 Chevys changed patterns too. Any 8x6.5" pattern wheel will fit.

Rick
I was basing it on what I was told. I will edit my post so it remains informative and free of any incorrect information. Thanks!

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
That is an AWESOME deal right there !!! Many Power Wagon owners with 8 on 6.5" use hummer rims, have the centers machined out to fit & use them as a cool wheel on our trucks. Newer PW's may have switched to metric, not sure.

cyclic

Adventurer
Looking good.

I'd prefer some aluminum wheels for mine, but every one around here wants an arm and a leg for a beat up set. I went the quick and dirty of some nasty steel dodge rims and though they work, they are not making me happy. I like to be happy. :)

I'll probably just live with them until I can swap to six lug drums.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Yes 2011+ Chevys and GMC went to an idiotic 8x180mm pattern. The new wheels do not fit the old stuff for that reason.

Hummer H2's had a GM Corporate 3/4 ton 14 bolt rear axle (semi-float) that was shared with the heavy duty GMC and Chevy pickups of the same era and had a bolt pattern of 8x6.5 (most of the time, some models had 6x5.5).

Corporate 1 ton axles of the same era (found in the 1 ton GM trucks) all have the same bolt pattern (8x6.5).

I *think* HMMWV's and H1s had 4 wheel independent suspension and therefore completely different axles but I know they did share the 8x6.5 bolt pattern (which is why your H1 alloys fit that trailer, Ben).

I wont get into front axles as this is already off topic.

Basically if it was a heavy duty GM or AMG product from 1973 to 2010 and had 8 lug axles it has 8x6.5 wheels which will fit these trailers.

Last edited:

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Just to clear up one point, the Chevy 2500HD and 3500 trucks switched bolt patterns for the 2011 model year. Model year 2010 and older trucks had the 8 on 6.5" lug pattern, and the 2011+ trucks have the 8 on 180/210 lug pattern. So basically the newer style factory wheels will not fit older trucks or trailers without adapters. Common alloy wheels that will fit are the 17" Hummer H2 wheels, 16" Chevy/GMC PYO Alcoa alloys 2001-2010, and the 17" GMC/Chevy Alloys on LTZ trucks 2007-2010.

Got a new 4Runner to pull my trailer!

I just purchased a Black 2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4 to pull my trailer. It already has a lift and 32" tires, so I should be doing pretty well. I am waiting on the last hitch related item, and I will update with a very in depth replay about everything Hitch related. When I have the last hitch piece, I will see exactly how much more I need for the trailer to ride level, and have a weld shop drop the Lunette by lengthening the "drop shaft" the Lunette is attached to.

Got 2x more trailers!

Well, I did the unthinkable... I sold the first 2x trailers and bought 2x more in even better condition. Both the first trailers had minor cosmetic issues, and it just bugged me. One had a lot of dents inside the bed, and the other had a dent on the outside. I already brought home the first of the two new trailers. The 2x new ones are in excellent shape, so I will update with some photos when I go pick up the second trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior