My M1101 and M1102 Buying Experience and Build Thread

Minor update

Sorry I haven't done much lately, but I have some exciting news! I joined a Volunteer Fire Department in need, and that has kept me quite busy. Since my 4Runner has become a POV emergency vehicle, I have switched my focus to mods for my pull vehicle, and I haven't done that much to the trailer lately. I have been taking new photos, and just need to sit down and write up some posts to go along with the photos. I took it camping for the first time, and loved it. I have also completely addressed my hitch, and will share that with everyone very soon. Thanks for reading/following my post!

BradIXXI

Looking Forward to Getting Lost.
Would love to see and hear what you did with your hitch....

Also, what VFD did you join?

Would love to see and hear what you did with your hitch....

Also, what VFD did you join?

Thanks for the encouragement to add a much needed update. I've been taking photos, and waiting for a chance to write up an update. I have Bronchitis, so now is the time! I joined the Bynum, Texas VFD. My Brother has been a member for a while, so it will be great to respond to calls together. I responded to my first fire related call 2 days ago, and felt like I was 12 years old riding in the engine.

I am finishing the Photos for my Hitch Update, and should have it all posted in about 1 hour. Yesterday I switched the tail lights to a brand new set of Grote 10v-30v LED Tail Lights, and I took photos of the install, so I will try and have that update later in the week.

Last edited:
My Perfect Hitch Setup!

I wanted a hitch to meet two criteria. I wanted something big to protect my rear bumper in slow moving traffic and parking lots. I wanted some adjustable and safe, that meets the needs of any trailer I plan to pull. Also, I wanted it to look ************ and intimidating as a “traffic stand off device” to encourage vehicles behind me to keep their distance.

I knew I wanted a Ball/Pintle Combo Hitch from the beginning. I needed a bolt on design, so I could attach it to an adjustable receiver. You can find some made by Reese or Curt for about $60 each, but I wanted something better built and designed. I discovered Wallace Forge. They make Hitches that are much more rugged for $150-$200. I found one that was Brand New on ebay for $80.

Next, I wanted a Pintle Mount with plenty of adjustment so I could pull my tall M1101, or my Dad’s low to the ground Cargo Trailer. I didn’t want a bolt on pintle plate, because I didn’t want to have to bolt/unbolt it every time I wanted to adjust it. I purchased a “Pro Series 63072 - Adjustable Pintle Mount” which is rated at 14,000 lbs. It is adjusted with a simple pull pin. It sticks way out, which I love, because it protects my bumper from minor parking lot bumps. It has a tall adjustment rail, which will total someone’s car if they rear end me.

Then I needed a Pintle Hook Mount, since my receiver sticks out so far from my bumper, and my chains won’t reach. I found a New Military Pintle Plate for about $25 shipped. Not only did it give me a big mounting hole for the giant hooks on my M1101 Chains, but it makes my hitch wider, making even more solid mass to stop a vehicle that dares rear end me.

I also bought a Curt Receiver/Hitch Locking Pin for about $15 shipped on Amazon. For added safety, I wanted additional safety Chains to connect the Pintle Plate to my SUV’s Bumper, so I got 4x 7/8” Stainless Steel Links for $8 each. I will either use thread lock, or spot weld the threads so no one can remove the hitch from the adjustable mount. I got 2x 1’ lengths of 7/8” steel chain, but I plan to replace it with Stainless Steel chain when I find a place that carries it. I took a few photos before the steel chain started to rust.

With the lift on my 4Runner, and the adjustable Hitch, my trailer sits “almost” level. I plan to have a local welder cut and lengthen the lunette drop shaft of my trailer a few inches, so it will be completely level soon.

_Y2F1769.jpg
_Y2F1770.jpg
_Y2F1771.jpg
_Y2F1766.jpg
_Y2F1772.jpg
_Y2F1773.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1130.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 105
Nice adjustable pintle set up. Someone can steal the pintle but not the shank?

Like I said, I plan to spot weld the threads to the barrel nuts so it can not be removed from the shank. I will wait until I replace the 1' steel chains with stainless steel chains so I won't every have to replace or repaint the chains. That should solve it.

Biscuit1980

Thanks for this thread. I am actually thinking of bidding on one of two M1102's at my local air force base. The info on what to bring to pick it up was very helpful.

Would it be possible to switch it over to a 5x5 bolt pattern to match my jeep?

Thanks for this thread. I am actually thinking of bidding on one of two M1102's at my local air force base. The info on what to bring to pick it up was very helpful.

Would it be possible to switch it over to a 5x5 bolt pattern to match my jeep?

I know there are other posts where people discuss that, but I have no knowledge of it. It's one thing I haven't done any research on because I love the HMMWV wheels and tires. Sorry I can't help, but I'm glad the rest of my thread helped you! Thanks for looking,

Biscuit1980

I know there are other posts where people discuss that, but I have no knowledge of it. It's one thing I haven't done any research on because I love the HMMWV wheels and tires. Sorry I can't help, but I'm glad the rest of my thread helped you! Thanks for looking,

Here is the thread I started before seeing yours. link. If you have time and see anything you can add/answer I would appreciate it.

I emailed govplanet about seeing the trailer in person and they said we could arrange a "hands off inspection" so I could see it but not touch it. I haven't actually seen one of these in person but I get they are big. I am worried it will be a big load to tow and cumbersome/slow. I want to built a full camping trailer like the turtleback or other brands.

starbuck77

I absolutely love the idea of doing this. I have a bone stock 2013 Jeep wrangler sahara, if I was to get one of these guys would it be as simple as changing out the wheels/tires to level this guy out to sit flat with the Jeep? The plan would be to use one of these guys as a camping trailer....Your post has been really helpful.

Starbuck77

cyclic

Adventurer
Changing to 265/70R16 tires on dodge or chevy 8 lug rims makes a big difference.

Starting with that and see how far you have left.

Here's mine behind my suburban (running 32" tires and 2.5 lift)

IMAG04191_zpsonpdft2d.jpg

And here's the hitch change I made to mine...................

IMAG04101_zpsepqtdtrt.jpg

I removed the hydraulic brakes and will be changing to electric brakes w/ parking and 6 lugs in the future.

StratoCrewzr

Brand new member here

Have had my M-1101 for over two years now and absolutely love it. Will never sell. I've taken it on several vacations and have arrived at the point where I simply need more capability (tired of tarps or plywood) so will soon (hopefully) be taking on a major aluminum camper mod that I can bolt on and leave. Will share photos when I start. Here it is on a Colorado Family Mountain Bike summer vacation. A very cold Arizona Archery Deer Hunt. And most recently a Quail hunt/camp trip.

20140715_173701 (1).jpg
All over Colorado with the bikes atop 3/4" plywood. All the camping gear in bins beneath.

20140711_173933.jpg

20141231_221913.jpg
Great AZ snow storm of New Years 2015. Dumped the Escalade for a real vehicle.

20150102_095038.jpg
My friend has a Tepui tent atop some custom aluminum work that lifts upward to appropriate height when at camp.

20151110_171821.jpg

20151111_084752 (1).jpg

20160131_102602.jpg
Always present at every shoot out I attend. Perfect for carrying all the steel targets and gear.

20160131_102613 (1).jpg
B&W Hitch

20160130_173235.jpg
This is my buddy's who actually turned me onto the trailer. He's got a couple. I plan to buy another one as well.

Attachments

• 20140712_175225.jpg
    20140712_175225.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Xfile

Starbucks 77, I have a 2013 almost stock Jeep except for the recent addition of 33" tires and swapped out the military tires for Chevy HD rims w/ 285 75R 16s and I still use a 12" riser plate. If the trailer tires were a little smaller I might be able to lower the pintle hook a little more.
image.jpg

City_Rider

Adventurer
Nice trailers guys - I'm thinking this is the rig for me to start with and build into the trailer of my dreams. No point in throwing $15K at a prebuilt unit when I know I'll never be satisfied and would still be modifying it.

Where is the best source for nice rigs in Canada? I'm currently on Kijiji scouring around - my hunt has only just begun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne