My Mid-life Crisis "build."

thezentree

pretend redneck
No... it’s harsher than that. Only present at 60mph +. Comes up through floorboards and feels like it’s source is in the back of the vehicle.

That sounds like driveshaft to me - what's your pinion angle look like?

I've been fighting vibrations on my 3rd gen for about a year. I've gotten it to where it's tolerable but I still notice it every time I drive. I have a big thread about it on t4r.org: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/242830-bad-vibes-after-lift-install-solved-nah.html

Aftermarket rear upper control arms made a big difference on mine, but even at 0° pinion angle it still had a vibration (it's at ~1.3° now for the U-joint's sake). CV angle seems to affect it a lot, but even at like 1.5" of lift it was still there. I'm back at 2.5" now and it's slightly worse, but I guess it's a happy medium between NVH and tire clearance.

Maybe something in that thread will be helpful for you.

bkg

Explorer
Haven’t checked opinion angle yet, but with only 2” lift, I’d be surprised that’s the issue... but maybe?

This really feels more like a way out of balance tire, but I know that’s not the case (did this with my old wheels, new wheels and rotation) I’m going to pull it into the barn tomorrow and yank the shaft and take a look. Might die a little front wheel drive testing.

bkg

Explorer
No? Haven’t been under one I awhile. Just assumed it was like a Tacoma.

The more you know! :p

Nope... Actually was hoping the shaft was the same length as the rear 1/2 of an xcab/dcab... nope. Shaft on the 4Runner is about 47.5"... rear part on an xcab/dcab is about 37"...

Pulled the shaft and did some testing in front wheel drive. Vibration is actually worse, especially under power. I'm guessing the alignment is jacked... or perhaps bad unit bearing. Going to have the alignment checked by a guy who owns a nice FJ and works at Toyota... should give me a good set of eyes..

Clutch

<---Pass
Nope... Actually was hoping the shaft was the same length as the rear 1/2 of an xcab/dcab... nope. Shaft on the 4Runner is about 47.5"... rear part on an xcab/dcab is about 37"...

Last 4Runner I was under was my old '85. And that memory of what is actually under there is a complete blur now... ;)

should give me a good set of eyes...

Just as I thought, the nut behind the wheel is definitely loose. :p

Getting ready to head out and throw a fresh set of coil-overs on mine. Pulling the Camburgs and tossing on some OME's...now why in the world would a cheap SOB like myself do that? When rebuilding the Camburgs are cheaper, and a superior coil-over.

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
Last 4Runner I was under was my old '85. And that memory of what is actually under there is a complete blur now... ;)

Just as I thought, the nut behind the wheel is definitely loose. :p

Getting ready to head out and throw a fresh set of coil-overs on mine. Pulling the Camburgs and tossing on some OME's...now why in the world would a cheap SOB like myself do that? When rebuilding the Camburgs are cheaper, and a superior coil-over.

Way more than one screw loose!

thezentree

pretend redneck
Pulled the shaft and did some testing in front wheel drive. Vibration is actually worse, especially under power. I'm guessing the alignment is jacked... or perhaps bad unit bearing. Going to have the alignment checked by a guy who owns a nice FJ and works at Toyota... should give me a good set of eyes..

Now I'm interested. Mine does this too.

thezentree

pretend redneck
Bad from wheel bearing... Which does make sense, to a degree, given it is worse in front wheel drive. Unfortunately, I'm being too lazy right now to do it myself. Fortunately, the guy who is going to work on it is a huge enthusiast.

Be sure to let me know if that fixes it. Wheel bearings are about the only part I haven't changed trying to fix this.

bkg

Explorer
Be sure to let me know if that fixes it. Wheel bearings are about the only part I haven't changed trying to fix this.

Only put a few miles on it, but i haven’t had much of an opportunity to get up to 70mph. If it isn’t fixed, I’m going to hate myself even more for paying an exorbitant amount of money to have it replaced.

Last edited:

thezentree

pretend redneck
A Tom Woods driveshaft, a second set of coilovers, two sets of CVs, adjustable rear upper control arms, and like seven alignments later, I can totally sympathize. :confused:

Reactions: bkg

thezentree

pretend redneck
That sucks man. Were your wheel bearings howling or anything? I've not replaced mine because they don't act like they're bad, but they do have ~210k miles on them. That's just a big repair bill to eat without knowing they need to be replaced, especially since I don't have a press.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior